Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 PM

18 posts, read 65,178 times

Advertisements

I'm just wondering how these small seemingly decent towns got so bad and what will keep the problems from spreading to, or growing in the metro area. It's really only a short distance away- Is this a topic of discussion in Boise?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 09:29 AM

2,942 posts, read 1,638,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VERNDAWG View Post
I'm just wondering how these small seemingly decent towns got so bad and what will keep the problems from spreading to, or growing in the metro area. It's really only a short distance away- Is this a topic of discussion in Boise?
Illegal transient laborers coming up in to work on the farms, and people moving in from tough neighborhoods of Calif. They brought their culture and way of life to these towns, and most did not want to be American or Idahoan. IMO.
Most of these people are on the low income scale and work in agriculture, so Caldwell and Nampa are very attracting, (because of the lower cost of rent and being able to afford to buy a home). But in general when you move to Meridian or Boise, housing prices, rent go up, and becomes unfordable to live. This disqualifies a lot of lower income people, from moving to Boise/Meridian.(And has less farms for workers)
And I'm not saying lower income people are troublemakers.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:40 AM

3,338 posts, read 6,901,395 times
Nampa and Caldwell are not as bad as some sensationalistic people or news reports make them seem. Both, for the most part are nice clean towns that are being revitalized, but have pockets of areas where the hand full of migrant worker gang bangers live. And I realize some overly P C people are going to say it is pointing fingers at some of the hispanic people but the truth is the truth.
Most of the Hispanic population in Canyon County are good hard working people but as jwest pointed out Meridian and Boise are too expensive for most of the lower income migrant workers who have relocated to Canyon County. I don't really think most people in Boise are worried that they will infiltrate Boise because it just will not happen. Besides the issues out there in Canyon County do not seem to be as bad as they were 2 or more years ago. The police in Nampa and Caldwell have done a good job at flushing out the bad apples.

Old 09-18-2009, 04:33 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Syringaloid View Post
Nampa and Caldwell are not as bad as some sensationalistic people or news reports make them seem. Both, for the most part are nice clean towns that are being revitalized, but have pockets of areas where the hand full of migrant worker gang bangers live. And I realize some overly P C people are going to say it is pointing fingers at some of the hispanic people but the truth is the truth.
Most of the Hispanic population in Canyon County are good hard working people but as jwest pointed out Meridian and Boise are too expensive for most of the lower income migrant workers who have relocated to Canyon County. I don't really think most people in Boise are worried that they will infiltrate Boise because it just will not happen. Besides the issues out there in Canyon County do not seem to be as bad as they were 2 or more years ago. The police in Nampa and Caldwell have done a good job at flushing out the bad apples.
Nampa and Caldwell both have huge crime problems that are only getting worse. In fact, as far as the crimes of burlgary, assault, theft, and drug-related charges, those two cities are among the highest in the U.S. Northwest, per capita. A good deal of this is due to the fact that there is a large core of immigrant labor--which is a euphanism for illegal aliens, which is a crime in itself. Also, like jWest said, the migrant laborers that move there for seasonal work, though most are honest and hardworking, have been known to suffer alcohol and drug problems. Exacerbating all this is the rising meth epidemic in the Treasure and Magic Valleys.
Not to worry though, Boiseans, about our city becoming similar. The reasons are twofold: one, our job market is simply different, consisting of a far higher percentage of government, university, professional, and high tech workers. Our zeitgeist is more affluent, educated and progressive, and I don't see that changing. The second reason is our outstanding police force will simply not allow it! Any of you who were here in the late '90's will remember how they cracked down on L.A. gangs trying to establish a foothold here. Our large tax base insures our coppers are well-funded and equipped.
Lastly--speaking of gangs: another contributing factor to Nampa and Caldwell crime is the presence of the notorious MS13 gang, which originated in central america. They too tried to infest Boise about three years ago and were quickly snuffed by BPD.

Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 PM

[So, I'm guessing that Nampa/Caldwell authorities just don't have the same funds available to handle things as overwhelmingly as BPD?

Old 09-20-2009, 02:01 PM

2,754 posts, read 6,101,969 times
Quote:
[So, I'm guessing that Nampa/Caldwell authorities just don't have the same funds available to handle things as overwhelmingly as BPD?
Well, that may be overstating. I didn't mean to imply that the main reason for Nampa/Caldwell's crime problem is due to underfunded police forces--although any cop will tell you they can always use more money! I just meant to cite the fact that Boise has an outstanding and well-funded force which is one factor in our crime rate being very modest. The other reasons for the disparity between our crime and Nampa/Caldwell's lie in demographics and in their runaway meth problem.

Old 09-26-2009, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Moving from the Nampa/Caldwell area to Boise on the 30th, and paying over $200 more on rent for the same type of residence. But hay, its Boise.YIPPEE!!

Old 09-26-2009, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
Moving from the Nampa/Caldwell area to Boise on the 30th, and paying over $200 more on rent for the same type of residence. But hay, its Boise.YIPPEE!!
Is this sarcasm or are you glad to make the move?

Old 09-27-2009, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Is this sarcasm or are you glad to make the move?
No sarcasm, just glad to get out of Nampa/Caldwell in moving to a better part of the Treasure Valley. Just making a point, housing in general cost more in Boise.
You get what you pay for.

Old 09-27-2009, 01:46 PM

150 posts, read 580,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwest09 View Post
No sarcasm, just glad to get out of Nampa/Caldwell in moving to a better part of the Treasure Valley. Just making a point, housing in general cost more in Boise.
You get what you pay for.
Well if you have to commute from Nampa to Boise now that you live here you will save a lot just due to travel.

Yes you get what you pay for.... a beautiful area with out much crime unlike Nampa and Caldwell. At least Boise doesnt smell like the Sugar Beet factory that is reason enough to not live in Nampa for me! I'm sprry if this is blunt but I do not like Nampa or Caldwell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area