Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-25-2010, 01:35 PM

2 posts, read 5,722 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

I am a finance professional looking to relocate his family to the Boise area. Can anyone give me recommendations on headhunters in the area that may be of assistance?

Also, I know that Boise job market is very "network oriented," any advice on how to network from outside of the city?

I've had Boise fever for about 2 years now and am trying to kick my relocation efforts up a few notches now that the timing is right (for me at least, not necessarily as it relates to the economy ).

Thanks for any help/advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 01:10 AM

69 posts, read 239,017 times
You'll probably need to web search your industry on the web and pluck a headhunter from the results. I am not aware of headhunters that specialize in the Boise area.

Unfortunately, due to the rate that the area has been economically sinking, I have outlasted all of my headhunter contacts. Not only Boise contacts though. Most of the recruiters that I communicated with across the country have moved on.

Can't help with the "networking". I haven't figured that out yet in the four years that I've been here. The only network group that I've encountered recently is a professional network group for the unemployed at the Labor Board.

Good Luck!

Old 02-04-2010, 06:55 AM

3,822 posts, read 9,478,654 times
Honestly your best bet is to try and find a job before you get here that allows you to telecommute. Most professional finance or sales jobs left here in town either go to people who went to U of I or BSU and that's not a network that you can break into. The good sales jobs have left the state and now Idaho is covered by sales reps who either live in Salt Lake, Seattle or Portland.

If you do find a job to interview for, be prepared for major competition. Lots of people willing to work for half of what they used to make in order to live in Boise. I went to one interview that was for selling industrial services to car mechanics and paid about $40,000 a year. Had a chance to sneak a look at the resumes of my competition when the interviewer left the room. The other guys had been the national VP of sales, in international sales, the types of jobs that would have paid over 6 figures and we were duking it out for an entry level sales job.

Boise is a great place to live and raise a family, but the competition for jobs that pay more than $50,000 is extremely fierce.

One company that you may want to call is Professional Career Resources. They will help you find a professional job in Boise and will only work with people used to making more than $50,000. Good people to talk to, but they do charge a fee after the first appointment to help you find a job. I met with them once and was able to get a really good assessment of the job market. Got lucky and soon found a job and did not need their services.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area