Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2010, 11:58 AM

10 posts, read 31,089 times

Advertisements

I have been hearing from a lot of people that have relocated to the area that they love it. I am wondering what exactly they love about it? We plan on relocating within the next couple of months and I'm curious if what we are looking for is lines up with what everyone likes so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2010, 02:50 PM

51 posts, read 86,114 times
I hope you don't consider my reply useless because I've only visited Boise once, and don't live there (yet!), but, since no one else has replied yet:

I first became aware of Boise's attractions after googling trout fishing in Idaho. The fact that a river clean enough to support trout ran through the middle of the city caught my attention. I next discovered the weather-- Four seasons to experience, without the long, snowy, bitter cold winters of the midwest. Currently, their low temps are warmer than our highs. The only downside seems to be what can be brutally hot summers. To mitigate that, however, dew points are non-existent, something really appreciated by me. What good is a warm summer day if you can't walk around the block without becoming a sweathog?

It's a great small big city. They have a lot of nice parks, and a beautiful paved multi-use trail (the "Greenbelt") runs for miles along the river right through town. Downtown is very cool, with a lot of neat restaurants, ale houses, coffee shops, etc. most with sidewalk seating. It's all very clean, we were amazed at the lack of graffiti and garbage. In my town, murders occur daily, and are 2nd page Local news. We turned on Boise tv one nite, the big story was someone caused a car accident and ran away. Oh yeah, he might have had drugs! Scary stuff, indeed...

A 3-hour drive puts you in Ketchum (yes, I know it's not really Idaho) or Stanley, comfortable basecamps for incredible hiking, fishing, biking, rafting,kayaking opportunities in some of the country's most beautiful areas. And you need not travel nearly that far, I'm sure, for similar opportunities. We didn't even get a chance to visit the panhandle and all that it offers.

We later discovered Boise has some of the lowest property taxes around. We could live in twice the house that we have now, and wind up paying less in taxes than we currently do here.

The negs seem to be the job situation, lack of major-league sporting teams (not a big deal to me) and to someone from the lush Midwest, a very arid topography outside of the city proper. Boise is called the "City of Trees" because once you get outside of town, there aren't any! Despite that, there's a real good chance we could move there upon retirement. Hope this helps.

Old 04-18-2010, 08:13 AM

124 posts, read 276,924 times
Ok, I'm curious. Apparently Poema304 never posted again after this one. I always wonder about these danggling threads.. Did he/she move? Did he/she like it? What criteria does a person use in picking where to go? Guess I'll never know on this one.

Old 04-22-2010, 02:20 AM

10 posts, read 31,089 times
I have not moved to the Boise area. I still monitor this forum, but at this time, we are not able to move as quickly as I had hoped a couple of months ago.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:02 PM

7 posts, read 13,833 times
I love the changing seasons- In CA. you have stagnant weather. I like the fact that Boise is still small enough that it has a small town feel. People are generally much friendlier than you deal with in So. CA. A short drive gets you into the country or mountains, without dealing with tons of people! Rush hour here lasts maybe 1 hour, is 24 hours in CA. Taxes are overall lower here than most anywhere!

Old 04-23-2010, 06:15 PM

8 posts, read 22,024 times
On a good day Boise has all the charm of a small town with the amenities of a big city ( friendly people, plenty of shopping, nice downtown, well kept parks). On a bad day Boise has all the annoyances of a big city and none of the rewards (no jobs, no money, poor traffic for the size).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Idaho > Boise area
View detailed profiles of: