Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2007, 09:47 PM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times

Advertisements

The last Harry Potter movie that I saw was Prisoner of Alkaban (sp?). I did not see the one that came out in 2005 (cannot remember the name now), and I'm wondering if I'll have problems trying to follow Order of the Phoenix. Usually, the various networks will show all of the previous sequels on TV when a new addition comes out (Matrix did this, X-Men, Star Wars, etc.), but I haven't seen anything in the TV Guide yet.

Will I be clueless having only seen the first three Harry Potter movies, not the fourth, and then picking up with the fifth?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2007, 07:17 PM

304 posts, read 1,430,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by virgo View Post
The last Harry Potter movie that I saw was Prisoner of Alkaban (sp?). I did not see the one that came out in 2005 (cannot remember the name now), and I'm wondering if I'll have problems trying to follow Order of the Phoenix. Usually, the various networks will show all of the previous sequels on TV when a new addition comes out (Matrix did this, X-Men, Star Wars, etc.), but I haven't seen anything in the TV Guide yet.

Will I be clueless having only seen the first three Harry Potter movies, not the fourth, and then picking up with the fifth?

Thanks!
Yeah, I think you might want to watch the fourth movie (Goblet of Fire) before seeing Order of the Phoenix. If you haven't read the books, it is hard enough to follow what is going on without skipping a movie. I've read the books so I knew what was going on in this one, but my husband didn't read any of them and was confused by things. I had to explain some things to him afterwards.

I saw this movie this afternoon. I was entertained, but I think they left quite a bit of things out of it that just leave viewers confused if they hadn't read the books.

I did think all the actors/actresses did a great job though! I was really impressed with Evana's Luna Lovegood!

Old 07-14-2007, 08:29 AM

965 posts, read 4,501,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs fan View Post
Yeah, I think you might want to watch the fourth movie (Goblet of Fire) before seeing Order of the Phoenix. If you haven't read the books, it is hard enough to follow what is going on without skipping a movie. I've read the books so I knew what was going on in this one, but my husband didn't read any of them and was confused by things. I had to explain some things to him afterwards.

I saw this movie this afternoon. I was entertained, but I think they left quite a bit of things out of it that just leave viewers confused if they hadn't read the books.

I did think all the actors/actresses did a great job though! I was really impressed with Evana's Luna Lovegood!
Thanks for the heads up. Most appreciated!

Old 07-14-2007, 09:11 PM

103 posts, read 392,159 times
It really a good book.And I am looking forward the movie!ha ha!

Old 07-15-2007, 07:34 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs fan View Post
I was entertained, but I think they left quite a bit of things out of it that just leave viewers confused if they hadn't read the books.

Ditto.
The book was actually my least favorite of the Potter series.
Maybe that's why l enjoyed the movie so much?
It doesn't happen very often, but sometimes I do prefer a movie to the book.

Old 07-15-2007, 12:15 PM

220 posts, read 763,033 times
Default the 5th harry potter movie, what'd you think?

Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie...It's just that the transition from book to movie was terribly done. I understand that it's hard to cram a book of such length into a 2.5 (or so) movie, but come on. The movie DID NOT do the book justice. I think they shoulda just pushed out the extra million or two and made it a four hour movie, pirates was a 4 hour why couldnt potter?

Here is a list of things that bothered me:

1. Umbridge. Yes, she was a beotch in the movie, but it did not make me despise half as much as I did in the book.

2. Hagrid's absence and Gwarp. At the beginning of the movie, Dumbledor briefly explains that Hargrid is gone and that Grubbyplank will be taking his place for the time being. Then the next thing you know Hagrid's back, but doesn't really tell anything about going to the giants and bringing back Gwarp. You just are introduced to Gwarp sort of randomly in the forest. And Gwarp was nothing like I pictured him in the book.

3. Yet again, no Peeves.

4. The D.A. First off, the first meeting in the Hogs Head was not private at all. In the book, there were other people in there so they had to be somewhat secretive. And then they left the whole part about the coins which told when the next meetings. This made me sad, because I thought that was pretty cool. And then Cho betraying the D.A. NO! It wasn't her.

5. The Order. If I had not read the book, I would have been completley confused about the Order. There was not enough explanation or time spent on that, and afterall....it IS the name of the movie/book. And then Grimmauld Place was, again, nothing like I pictured it. And I was a bit dissapointed that they didn't include Sirius' mother's portrait at all. I think that would have been humourous to see.

6. O.W.L's. In the book, they were a big deal with much stress involved. In the movie....Umbridge talks about them briefly...and then, BOOM, they're here and all the 5th years are taking them. and they dont show the people who give the owls they make it seem like umbridge gives them it

7. The Department of Mysteries. This is a big one. First off, when Harry had his vision of Sirius being attacked it was during an exam, not outside watching fireworks. And then it didn't show Harry talking to Kreacher in the fire, but instead Umbridge catching them, before they begin. And then, the dissapointment of them just opening the door and entering straight into the Hall of Prophecies. BOO. Just skipping over all those other rooms, not showing how much of a challenge getting to the Hall was. That really dissapointed me...to the point where I said, "WHAT?!" outloud in the theater. And what was with all the Phrophecies collapsing when they were leaving? And Malfoy didn't drop the Phropecy..it was Neville. I did; however, like how they made the inside of the Ministry of Magic look.

8. the movie was so so so rushed, it focued too much on "the problem" they didn't show any leisure time that was always my favorite in the movies and books. in the beginning they just boom! attacked them with demontors

9. there were no passes in the phone booth, i thought that would have been funny "harry potter rescue mission!" ha ha

Anyway, there were many other things left out (ie: the explantion of no more Quidditch, Firenze, Dobby, and Ron and Hermione not becoming Prefects, geogre and freds swamp and their little lecture on leaving and doing better) .
It's not that it wasn't a good movie, it was just a dissapointment.

And now that I feel like a complete nerd, I shall end this rant.

Anyone else who saw it.....tell me your thoughts.

Old 07-15-2007, 01:58 PM

thread already started

Old 07-15-2007, 03:50 PM

220 posts, read 763,033 times
Don't get me wrong, it was a good movie...It's just that the transition from book to movie was terribly done. I understand that it's hard to cram a book of such length into a 2.5 (or so) movie, but come on. The movie DID NOT do the book justice. I think they shoulda just pushed out the extra million or two and made it a four hour movie, pirates was a 4 hour why couldnt potter?

1. Umbridge. Yes, she was a beotch in the movie, but it did not make me despise half as much as I did in the book.

2. Hagrid's absence and Gwarp. At the beginning of the movie, Dumbledor briefly explains that Hargrid is gone and that Grubbyplank will be taking his place for the time being. Then the next thing you know Hagrid's back, but doesn't really tell anything about going to the giants and bringing back Gwarp. You just are introduced to Gwarp sort of randomly in the forest. And Gwarp was nothing like I pictured him in the book.

3. Yet again, no Peeves.

4. The D.A. First off, the first meeting in the Hogs Head was not private at all. In the book, there were other people in there so they had to be somewhat secretive. And then they left the whole part about the coins which told when the next meetings. This made me sad, because I thought that was pretty cool. And then Cho betraying the D.A. NO! It wasn't her.

5. The Order. If I had not read the book, I would have been completley confused about the Order. There was not enough explanation or time spent on that, and afterall....it IS the name of the movie/book. And then Grimmauld Place was, again, nothing like I pictured it. And I was a bit dissapointed that they didn't include Sirius' mother's portrait at all. I think that would have been humourous to see.

6. O.W.L's. In the book, they were a big deal with much stress involved. In the movie....Umbridge talks about them briefly...and then, BOOM, they're here and all the 5th years are taking them. and they dont show the people who give the owls they make it seem like umbridge gives them it

7. The Department of Mysteries. This is a big one. First off, when Harry had his vision of Sirius being attacked it was during an exam, not outside watching fireworks. And then it didn't show Harry talking to Kreacher in the fire, but instead Umbridge catching them, before they begin. And then, the dissapointment of them just opening the door and entering straight into the Hall of Prophecies. BOO. Just skipping over all those other rooms, not showing how much of a challenge getting to the Hall was. That really dissapointed me...to the point where I said, "WHAT?!" outloud in the theater. And what was with all the Phrophecies collapsing when they were leaving? And Malfoy didn't drop the Phropecy..it was Neville. I did; however, like how they made the inside of the Ministry of Magic look.

8. the movie was so so so rushed, it focued too much on "the problem" they didn't show any leisure time that was always my favorite in the movies and books. in the beginning they just boom! attacked them with demontors

9. there were no passes in the phone booth, i thought that would have been funny "harry potter rescue mission!" ha ha

Anyway, there were many other things left out (ie: the explantion of no more Quidditch, Firenze, Dobby, and Ron and Hermione not becoming Prefects, geogre and freds swamp and their little lecture on leaving and doing better) .

Old 07-15-2007, 08:52 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KelsieB View Post

3. Yet again, no Peeves.

No no no, didn't you know, they were saving all that for the Uncut verson on DVD.....naw, they aren't.....it just sucked. Lets just call it what it was....it was a hurried movie put out to drum out some excitement so the book would sell well. They know they don't have to do a good job because we all keep hoping that one of these movies will capture the magic of the first movie. That one was good as a stand alone movie. The book is going to make more than the movie, so the movie is just put out to put a few more folks in the book stores, and it drums up some biz for the 5th book, as no one knows what the #%$# was going on from scene to scene in Phoenix.

Old 07-16-2007, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
No no no, didn't you know, they were saving all that for the Uncut verson on DVD.....naw, they aren't.....it just sucked. Lets just call it what it was....it was a hurried movie put out to drum out some excitement so the book would sell well. They know they don't have to do a good job because we all keep hoping that one of these movies will capture the magic of the first movie. That one was good as a stand alone movie. The book is going to make more than the movie, so the movie is just put out to put a few more folks in the book stores, and it drums up some biz for the 5th book, as no one knows what the #%$# was going on from scene to scene in Phoenix.
On the contrary, I don't think they hurried either the filming or the editing.
According to Wikipedia, rehearsals began in January '06 and filming did not end until November or December '06.
link
At 870 pages, the book itself was bloated.
I much prefer the condensed cinematic version.
And if they ever come out with one of those interminable 4 hour "director's cuts," I will avoid it like the plague.
It is not that I have the attention span of a fruit fly--I guess I just prefer the way this film moved the story along. For me, more Quidditch isn't always better.
Purists are always going to have a problem with these movies. It's the nature of the genre. I myself am dreading the filmed version of one of my favorite books, The Time Traveler's Wife.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books