Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-08-2011, 07:45 PM

17 posts, read 75,105 times

Advertisements

For any of you that have read any books for young adults, what were your favorites?

I loved The Outsiders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-08-2011, 09:09 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
I like Robert Cormier's books, especially I Am the Cheese, but he's a dark writer. He's better aimed at older teens. I absolutely loved Sherman Alexie's The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian! Again, there is swearing, sex, and violence in the book, but I thought it was hilarious and sad. I also love The Education of Little Tree, though I suggest not researching the author prior to reading. Of course, I enjoy Roald Dahl, C.S. Lewis, and J.R.R. Tolkein.

Old 01-09-2011, 10:28 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
The Little Prince by Antoine de Saint Exupéry.

I also recommend the Harry Potter series.

Maeve Binchey writes some excellent books which always end with a good moral. Her writing is easy to digest. Younger folks could handle these books easily. She writes fiction about growing up and living in Ireland.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:25 AM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,458 times
The Hatchet by Gary Paulsen, Farm Team by Will Weaver, The Giver by Lois Lowry, Depending on how young, I always loved the Fear Street Series by R.L Stine. Both Gary Paulsen and Will Weaver have many other wonderful books, I'm not sure on Lois Lowry, I've only read the one.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:27 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
This book is labeled as Young Adult.

Amazon.com: The Book Thief (9780375842207): Markus Zusak: Books

I read it when I was 42 (that's still young, right? ).

It was, honestly, one of the best books that I've ever read.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:52 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
I used to be a Young Adult Librarian, and did a lot of YA reading during those years! I actually prefer them to "adult" books in many ways, since they're usually more humorous, quirky & current - I might be a librarian, but I'm no old maid. Here are some of my favorites, a few of which border on children's literature:

Maus I & II - Art Spiegelman
Monster - Walter Dean Myers
The House of the Spirits - Isabelle Allende
Parrot in the Oven - Victor Martinez
Frisco Pigeon Mambo - C.D. Payne
The House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros
Out of the Dust - Karen Hesse
Holes - Louis Sachar
A Wrinkle in Time - Madeline L'Engle
The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury

I could go on and on... but I'll spare you for now!

Old 01-10-2011, 10:42 AM

419 posts, read 868,799 times
Margaret Peterson Haddix has a bunch of young adult books worth reading. My favorite series of hers is the Shadow Children.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:54 AM

289 posts, read 570,077 times
Well Vampires are very "in" right now with young adults/teens. So try the following series: Vampire Academy by Richelle Mead, Vampire Diaries by LJ Smith, House of Night by PC Cast, & Morganville Vamires by Rachel Caine.

Like a poster above said depending on how young you may try the RL Stine Fear Street books. Also depending on boy or girl you can check out the Sweet Valley books by Francine Pascal or the Nightmare Hall books by Diane Hoh.

And I remember when I was in High School alot of guys were into Stephen King. I still can't get into his books, so far I've only read The Stand & Salems Lot. But I still love the movies based on his books.

And of course teens & young adults seem to love the Harry Potter series & the Twilight books.

Old 01-12-2011, 01:12 AM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
I used to be a Young Adult Librarian, and did a lot of YA reading during those years! I actually prefer them to "adult" books in many ways, since they're usually more humorous, quirky & current - I might be a librarian, but I'm no old maid. Here are some of my favorites, a few of which border on children's literature:

Maus I & II - Art Spiegelman
Monster - Walter Dean Myers
The House of the Spirits - Isabelle Allende
Parrot in the Oven - Victor Martinez
Frisco Pigeon Mambo - C.D. Payne
The House on Mango Street - Sandra Cisneros
Out of the Dust - Karen Hesse
Holes - Louis Sachar
A Wrinkle in Time - Madeline L'Engle
The Martian Chronicles - Ray Bradbury

I could go on and on... but I'll spare you for now!
I love reading anything by Madeline L'Engle! She also wrote a series about the Austin family and wasn't there another series as well? I was so sad when I realized I'd read everything she'd written.

Old 01-12-2011, 12:12 PM

1,083 posts, read 1,191,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
I love reading anything by Madeline L'Engle! She also wrote a series about the Austin family and wasn't there another series as well? I was so sad when I realized I'd read everything she'd written.

A Ring of Endless Light, in the Austin family series was a wonderful book. I had to go look it up because I could not remember the title for the life of me.

Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'dell was wonderful too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books