Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 07:47 PM

220 posts, read 763,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassy1 View Post
I just read that the JK Rawling said on the Today show she is going to write an encylopedia on the HP books, and in that she will tell what happened to the characters. She said she had so many notes that had to be left out of the final book that they will fill in another book. So fans, there will be one more book!
OMG YAY!!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2007, 02:14 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeleenieWeenie View Post
IS this the movie that came out this week? I will have to rent them. I only watched the first movie. It was good; but not for all adults. Kinda weird like the Tolkien fad was during the Acid years.
Huge LOR fan, was LOR as popular as HP durring the 60s? I wish LOR went 7 books.

Old 07-27-2007, 08:05 PM

220 posts, read 763,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
Huge LOR fan, was LOR as popular as HP durring the 60s? I wish LOR went 7 books.
is LOR lords of the rings? NO GET OUTTA HERE! ha ha jk jk, im just a loyal fan to harry

Old 07-27-2007, 09:59 PM

304 posts, read 1,430,854 times
Quote:
Oh, my husband would love that....he goes around quoting lines from LOTR. I love the book myself, and we watch the extended version movie about once a year.

Old 07-27-2007, 10:23 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,780,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefs fan View Post
Oh, my husband would love that....he goes around quoting lines from LOTR. I love the book myself, and we watch the extended version movie about once a year.
I quote lines fro LOTR too. How bout this one: I know half of you, half as well as I should like, and I like half of you, half as well as you deserve. Thats my favorite. I also love Conan the Barbarian Quotes

Old 07-28-2007, 08:05 AM

Quote:
I quote lines fro LOTR too. How bout this one: I know half of you, half as well as I should like, and I like half of you, half as well as you deserve. Thats my favorite. I also love Conan the Barbarian Quotes
Oh yeah...that's a great quote!

Old 08-02-2007, 12:44 AM

396 posts, read 1,276,256 times
I really enjoyed the book, but I too was disappointed with the ending. I concur with what mrshvo said about the ending. I could've done without the 19 years later part completely, honestly. Almost makes it feel too complete, you know what I mean? I wanted to know how they immediately dealt with everything that happened and to really feel the beginnings of the process of everything getting back to normal.

I also wanted more between Ron and Hermione! And I wanted more McGonagall! She's such an awesome character. I was really hoping for bigger, better things out of Ron's character. But Neville's heroism certainly satisfied me. Go Neville!

One thing I almost wish they would've explored more is the thing about Luna's father (Xenophilius I think, isn't that his name?) after what he did to Harry, Ron, and Hermione. It happened and then she just kind of forgot about him later in the book. Left us hanging with it.

While I think it was a fantastic book, I just don't think everything was connected together quite as well as previous books. The "camping trip of doom", as one of my friends calls it, actually kind of got clunky in its presentation. And it just wasn't quite as good with character interactions and reactions. I was also disappointed with a lot of the emotional responses to the deaths (with the exception of Mad-Eye and Dobby). I didn't cry when anyone died, but I sure was bummed when Fred (and Lupin) died. You just can't have Fred without George! And Lupin was one of my favorite characters. Dobby's death seemed worth it, and Mad-Eye went out like a hero (you almost felt a sense of nobleness when he died). If you examine the book closely, however, they never prove that Mad-Eye dies. It's possible this was unintentional, but it's also possible that it was intentional.

But that said it was still a fantastic book and a worthy conclusion, I think. I loved the revelations of Snape and Lily, and especially of Dumbledore's past! I also loved how she put everything together; it was total genius. Especially the ending, and how Harry ended up killing Voldemort. I think that whole plotline was fantastic.

I think the few minor flaws of the book could've been redeemed with a more complete ending, but unfortunately the ending really left me begging for more. Overall, though, it was great, and I can't wait for a Harry Potter encyclopedia! That would clear up a lot of things.

Old 08-03-2007, 10:09 AM

25,464 posts, read 13,575,909 times
Rec'd. my books (one for grandsons & one for myself) on the 21st. But had to ait for a few days before I could begin reading it. finished the other day, and as others before me hae posted, unhappy with the epilouge. Would hve much preferred to hae details concerning the rebuildings of Hogwarts and the growth ot the characters.
Always felt that Snape was not the evil wizard as had been portrayed. so glad that the HP found out the truth.

Can anyone believe that when the first book came out, there had been an attempt to have the book banned? I am a 'senior' and have loved every book and have taken grandsons to see evey movie so far. I read fairy tales as a child and that is what I like to think of the HP books: modern day fairy tales.

Old 08-06-2007, 08:12 AM

2 posts, read 4,528 times
im a bit confussed. myself and my friend both agreed that voldemort killed himself when we were discussing it.

if his curse bounced back then he killed himself.

is any one else under this impression? i thot it was a good twist for that to happen rather than harry killing him which would have been far far to predictable.

i too was also dissapointed by the end, its seemed a bit to rushed. And the lack of Ron and Hermione relationship in the book!!!!! after years of a build up i thot the kiss was rubbish! i was wanting to much more from that!

also i noticed a very obvious mistake in the book about Hermione. near the beginnin in Rons room she said she altered her families memory to make them forget her and then in the cafe after stunnin the 2 death eaters she says she knows the concept of memory charms but has never done one!

Old 08-06-2007, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by claires4 View Post
also i noticed a very obvious mistake in the book about Hermione. near the beginnin in Rons room she said she altered her families memory to make them forget her and then in the cafe after stunnin the 2 death eaters she says she knows the concept of memory charms but has never done one!

JKR addressed this very question in her recent online chat with readers. Here's the excerpt from the transcripts:

"Question: Did Hermione really put a memory charm on her parents she says she did but then about 50 pages later tells Ron she's never done a memory charm

JKR: They are two different charms. She has not wiped her parents' memories (as she later does to Doholov and Rowle); she has bewitched them to make them believe that they are different people. "
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books