Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 12:31 PM

617 posts, read 2,822,544 times

Advertisements

Man, what a great book! I finished it, and I have to say, I LOVED it. It felt like the second half of the 6th book to me. I cried a little because of the deaths... especially poor Fred, Lupin and Tonks! I was a little upset that the 19 years later part, didn't contain much info on how George ended up, or who actually raised Lupin and Tonk's baby.

I loved how Neville was such a hero in the end! Great stuff, he really showed his power, didn't he?

I was also sad, that there was never a description of a kiss between Hermoine and Ron.

I was pleasantly suprised at the connection between Lily and Snape! Didn't see that coming, although we knew she defended him that one time, when James, Sirius, and Lupin turned him upside down in the air, and exposed his underpants! Snape turned out to be quite the hero really!

Super book!!!! It did not disappoint, and nothing major was left unanswered. I really hope that nobody attempts to continue the series with the children of all these people... it would ruin!!! J.K. Rowling said that she will "never say never" when it comes to an 8th book, but I hope she doesn't.

Now I am so looking forward to the final two films!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2007, 02:27 PM

1,942 posts, read 8,491,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calibelle View Post
Man, what a great book! I finished it, and I have to say, I LOVED it. It felt like the second half of the 6th book to me. I cried a little because of the deaths... especially poor Fred, Lupin and Tonks! I was a little upset that the 19 years later part, didn't contain much info on how George ended up, or who actually raised Lupin and Tonk's baby.

I loved how Neville was such a hero in the end! Great stuff, he really showed his power, didn't he?

I was also sad, that there was never a description of a kiss between Hermoine and Ron.

I was pleasantly suprised at the connection between Lily and Snape! Didn't see that coming, although we knew she defended him that one time, when James, Sirius, and Lupin turned him upside down in the air, and exposed his underpants! Snape turned out to be quite the hero really!

Super book!!!! It did not disappoint, and nothing major was left unanswered. I really hope that nobody attempts to continue the series with the children of all these people... it would ruin!!! J.K. Rowling said that she will "never say never" when it comes to an 8th book, but I hope she doesn't.

Now I am so looking forward to the final two films!
I too finished reading it! I wasn't disappointed at the book-just at certain things, and some that you mentioned:

**Hello, I've been waiting how many books for Hermoine and Ron to get together....and I know that they wind up being married...but I only got to enjoy one (cheap) kiss????Come on, I wanted so much more!!!!!!!!!

**I was disappointed by the 19 years later. I wanted to know what happened within that week. How did Ginny and Harry get back together? Did the Malfoys apologize? What happened with George? How did they decide what to do about Hogwarts? Did Harry or any of them decide to teach? What about Luna and Neville?

I really did want more, and THEN you can give me the 19 years later part.

Still, it was the best of them I thought.

As long as they show more romance in the movies, I will be OK.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:28 PM

5,453 posts, read 8,223,919 times
I finished reading about 2 hours ago, yes now I can breath! I was not sure what to expect, but am very pleased with the ending. I knew Snape was not dark again, but never saw the link between him and Lily.

The deaths were expected, just not as many "favorite characters". Mad Eye surprised me more than Lupin and Tonks, although I must admit that Lupin was one of my favorite characters.

So much to put into a book, I guess she did the best she could do by letting everyone know that the couples ended up together and they had a lasting friendship. It is amazing that she could keep all those ends together and answer all the question in one book.........I look forward to reading anything she writes, what an author.

Old 07-23-2007, 02:59 AM

617 posts, read 2,822,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshvo View Post
**I was disappointed by the 19 years later. I wanted to know what happened within that week. How did Ginny and Harry get back together? Did the Malfoys apologize? What happened with George? How did they decide what to do about Hogwarts? Did Harry or any of them decide to teach? What about Luna and Neville?

I really did want more, and THEN you can give me the 19 years later part.
I totally agree! I think she cut things too soon after Harry killed Voldemort! Rowling should have explained things a bit... how they put Hogwarts back together, who went where, ect. THEN, she should have done the flash forward. Oh well. Atleast we know who ended up with who, and we know Professor Longbottom, was teaching herbalogy.

I really wanted to read about some make out between Ron and Hermoine! There is SO many years of tension between those two!!!

I read somewhere, that a non magical person would be forced to do magic in the book, out of desperation. Did I miss something? Because I didn't read anything like that!!!??? I mean, we find out the Petunia wrote to Hogwarts, because she didn't want her sister to leave without her... was that it?

I look forward to the final movie, when we get to see Harry use the Resurrection stone, and when he gets to see all his dead loved ones! That is going to be so cool.

They are now starting to film the 6th movie, and it is due out in November of 2008! I can't WAIT!!! I hope they include more, I felt they left a lot out of the most recent film... but I realize they would have had a 3 1/2 hour movie, if they included everything. Still... us diehard Harry Potter fans wouldn't mind long films.....

Old 07-23-2007, 07:59 PM

304 posts, read 1,430,854 times
Quote:

I read somewhere, that a non magical person would be forced to do magic in the book, out of desperation. Did I miss something? Because I didn't read anything like that!!!??? I mean, we find out the Petunia wrote to Hogwarts, because she didn't want her sister to leave without her... was that it?
I was under the impression of the same thing, and kept looking for it as I read the book (which I finished a couple hours ago). I thought maybe we would see either Petunia or Filch show some magical ability, but I guess not.

Anyway, I absolutely loved the book. I did cry a bit when Dobby died and I really cried when Fred died (I have twins myself that really remind me of Fred & George). My husband hasn't read any of the books, but was upset that George was injured and that Fred died. I figured a Weasley would die, but I really thought it would be Percy; I thought he would return back to his family and then die protecting them....close, but not correct.

I really loved Molly's duel with Bellatrix!! I hope that scene doesn't change when it goes to film.

I was glad to get a glimpse of the future for almost everyone, but would like to have known how Luna was doing. I thought she might end up with Neville. Bravo Neville, for really making his parents proud!

I am sad that the series is over, but I am sure I will reread them again and again. At least I don't have to worry about coming across any spoilers now!

I can't wait to see the movie for this.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:06 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,060,029 times
Quote:
Oh, but they did kiss, Calibelle! In Hogwarts! I can tell you what page it's on if you're reading the American edition.

I had suspected that Snape had feelings for Lily, but I never suspected that they had been friends - and certainly not best friends! That was a surprise. Dumbledor's past was surprising, too, but I liked it. I'm glad he's not perfect. Makes it more real somehow.

Dobby's death was the hardest one for me. I'm not sure why. Probably because he was so defenseless. Also because I was able to go through a real mourning process for him (burial & such) while the other deaths still semm unreal to me. Guess I'm in denial or something!

I also almost cried when Harry went into the headmaster's office at the end and was greeted with all of that applause. Yay!

Have any of you listened to the pod cast on Muggle.net? It's over an hour long & they touch on a lot of important moments. Good stuff!

Last edited by MrsSteel; 07-23-2007 at 08:15 PM..

Old 07-23-2007, 10:18 PM

220 posts, read 763,033 times
Wow, it seemed like all you guys read my mind (so if i repeat anything im sorry...deal with it?) ha ha

this book was so amazing definitley the best outta the whole series. and i agree with whoever said i am so sad that there wont be anymore to the series and even if there were i dont think i'd enjoy it.

I totally agree that they cut things off. i was just thinking to myself about what happened with george, teddy, and luna. i think before the 19 years later she should have made it more clear of where everyone ended up

Its good to know I'm not the only one out there who cries to harry potter books. I cried when everyone died (except mad eye i dont know why that one didnt effect me too much) but i was definitley heart broken when dobby, tonks, lupin and colin died but what hit me the hardest was probably fred! but it worked out in the end, if nobody important died it would have all seemed too fake (even thought its very fictional) but it would have been too easy. i also cried when ron came back and saved harry! WHAT A GUY I'VE ALWAYS LOVED RON!

Its also good to know i wasnt the only one who sensed the connection between ron and hermirone! I told my friend i was expecting this since the second maybe third book and she was baffled! ha ha, but i wish they would have gotten together sooner...maybe when he came back? but i definitley feel i was robbed on their kiss! and same with the relationship between harry and ginny

I honestly am dreading the movie! I was rather dissapointed with harry potter and the order of the Phoenix! they left so much out and changed way too many things for my liking and i dont want them to ruin this book for me!

but over all i give this book a 14 (outta 10) because it was just so great!!!!

Old 07-23-2007, 10:20 PM

220 posts, read 763,033 times
P.S-It also seemed so amazing to me ( i put in a tear or two) that Neville stepped up and was quite the hero himself and when his gran was proud of him! it seemed to make all the pain worth it!

Old 07-24-2007, 01:09 AM

788 posts, read 4,068,690 times
Just finished it, and i loved loved loved it! My husband is giving me the cold shoulder since I have been consumed by the book the last two days, so he's feeling neglected. I just couldn't put it down. You all understand, right?

I am very sad about the deaths--I cried over most of them. However, I was so relieved that Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville, and Luna all survived. I was terrified that one of the three (Harry, Ron, or Hermione) might be killed off. I also cried over the loyalty and courage all of Harry's supporters demonstrated; how beautiful. Neville Longbottom rocks!

I am also a bit disappointed about the "19 Years Later" section in that I thought all of them would be teaching at Hogwarts, and that one of them would be Headmistress or Headmaster. In fact, I really wanted to know what everyone's occupation now was. I am thinking, and feel free to let me know if you disagree, that all of those blank pages at the end of the book are somekind of symbol suggesting that their lives go on, and the reader is left to imagine what that is. Does that sound crazy? I have been reading for 6 hours straight, so I could be delusional at this point.

Man, what a terrific writer Rawling is. She crafted an incredible story, with incredible characters. All of the books are spectacular, but this one, especially so.

Old 07-24-2007, 08:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,027,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
Oh, but they did kiss, Calibelle! In Hogwarts! I can tell you what page it's on if you're reading the American edition.
They certainly did. Harry just about had to break it up.
Quote:
I had suspected that Snape had feelings for Lily, but I never suspected that they had been friends - and certainly not best friends! That was a surprise. Dumbledor's past was surprising, too, but I liked it. I'm glad he's not perfect. Makes it more real somehow.

Dobby's death was the hardest one for me. I'm not sure why. Probably because he was so defenseless. Also because I was able to go through a real mourning process for him (burial & such) while the other deaths still semm unreal to me. Guess I'm in denial or something!
I agree with you about Snape, Dobby and the other deaths.
Dobby was so noble and so proud in his defenslessness;his death was not in vain.
I liked the pacing and the (occasional) humor. But it was a dark tale indeed.
When Hedwig died, it was like a punch in my gut, and I knew it was going to get worse.
Another Harry fan I know said this book is about love, and I think she's right.
Love conquered all in this story--and a bit of bravery, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books