Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is it morally alright?
It's okay 18 94.74%
It's wrong 1 5.26%
I don't know... 0 0%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 09:48 PM

126 posts, read 102,151 times

Advertisements

Lots of people who create books, movies, video games, and more base the fictional characters off people they know in real life, even if just loosely. I have this wonderful idea for a novel that I wish to pursue someday in the future, and I would like to base the main character partially on myself, and another character on my best friend. Of course I would only loosely base the character off her, however there is some concern.

Seeing as how in the story that character is the love interest of the main character. You see, it will start out as the lead character having unrequited feelings for his squadmate, who will be based off my friend. She doesn't know how he feels about her though, and he doesn't tell her, atleast not at this point in the story. Which is reminiscent of how I feel about my closest friend in real life. The resemblance will be minuscule at best. Would it be wrong to sort of use my own personal feelings and experiences as a plot element, as well as using a real life person as the partial basis of a character?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 09:49 PM

126 posts, read 102,151 times
For instance George Lucas says he based Star Wars characters off of his personal friends and co-workers.

Old 03-30-2011, 12:13 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,316,797 times
I've never met a writer who didn't base his characters off real-life people. And I've never met a reader who was related/close to a writer who didn't read the writer's book/s through the lens of people he/they knew - and often wrongly.

Our imagination is the sum as well of our personal experiences and how we relate to, and see the world. It's impossible to divorce yourself from that.

I think what is important to remember though is that taking some real life characteristics is completely different from taking your best friend's life and turning it into a biography. And I do think that if there are certain secrets a friend has trusted you with that are really big secrets, it wouldn't be right to use those secrets, even fictionalized.

But you describe your character as someone who isn't really you, but a cross between you, and someone else, and quite possibly, a figment of your imagination. So it isn't really you any more.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:58 AM

10,210 posts, read 17,862,571 times
All writers are inspired by real life.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:10 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,182,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PA2UK View Post
All writers are inspired by real life.
Well.......I might be inclined to say all accomplished writers, but that said I would only add that most beginning authors very much mine their own lives extensively for material.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:48 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,837,980 times
All writers' characters are based of some form of real life (as well as embellished by their imaginations).

The only ones that really annoy me are the writers that include nonfictional characters (by their real names) into their works of fiction.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:57 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,480,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
All writers' characters are based of some form of real life (as well as embellished by their imaginations).

The only ones that really annoy me are the writers that include nonfictional characters (by their real names) into their works of fiction.
That is the creative process. Concerned about the type of inspiration some seem to have--Stephen King and John Irving.

Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,936,034 times
"King of the Hill" is based on Texans that Mike Judge personally knew, which is what makes it so true to life.

Old 04-05-2011, 07:27 AM

88,525 posts, read 84,705,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samusaran253 View Post
Lots of people who create books, movies, video games, and more base the fictional characters off people they know in real life, even if just loosely. I have this wonderful idea for a novel that I wish to pursue someday in the future, and I would like to base the main character partially on myself, and another character on my best friend. Of course I would only loosely base the character off her, however there is some concern.

Seeing as how in the story that character is the love interest of the main character. You see, it will start out as the lead character having unrequited feelings for his squadmate, who will be based off my friend. She doesn't know how he feels about her though, and he doesn't tell her, atleast not at this point in the story. Which is reminiscent of how I feel about my closest friend in real life. The resemblance will be minuscule at best. Would it be wrong to sort of use my own personal feelings and experiences as a plot element, as well as using a real life person as the partial basis of a character?
No, it isn't wrong, and most writer's mine their own lives, relationships and acquaintances to build characters. I've taken writing workshops that address this, and it also comes up in writing conferences if they have a panel about legalities (you wouldn't want someone to be so identifiable and cast them in a bad light that they would have a basis for a lawsuit).

The fact of the matter that works in your favor is that very few people see themselves the way others do. An example that one of my workshop teachers gave was Joseph Heller, the author of Catch-22. He based the character of a commanding officer on a C.O. he himself had been under while in the military. The guy was a complete bastard. After the novel hit the best-seller list, Heller got a call from his former C.O. During the course of the conversation, the man brought up the subject of the character in the book, and Heller held his breath waiting for the man to ask if the character was based on him. Instead, the guy said to Heller, "You know, I loved that character in your book. When I was first in the service, I had a commanding officer just like him, a total sonofabitch!" Never recognized himself in the least.

Old 04-09-2011, 01:28 PM

40 posts, read 113,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
No, it isn't wrong, and most writer's mine their own lives, relationships and acquaintances to build characters. I've taken writing workshops that address this, and it also comes up in writing conferences if they have a panel about legalities (you wouldn't want someone to be so identifiable and cast them in a bad light that they would have a basis for a lawsuit).

The fact of the matter that works in your favor is that very few people see themselves the way others do. An example that one of my workshop teachers gave was Joseph Heller, the author of Catch-22. He based the character of a commanding officer on a C.O. he himself had been under while in the military. The guy was a complete bastard. After the novel hit the best-seller list, Heller got a call from his former C.O. During the course of the conversation, the man brought up the subject of the character in the book, and Heller held his breath waiting for the man to ask if the character was based on him. Instead, the guy said to Heller, "You know, I loved that character in your book. When I was first in the service, I had a commanding officer just like him, a total sonofabitch!" Never recognized himself in the least.
I took a screenwriting class a few years ago that addressed some of legal issues that result from basing characters on real people and the professor brought examples in which some people who were the basis for fictional characters didn't view themselves as how the characters were.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books