Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2011, 01:37 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,654,724 times

Advertisements

Maybe this has been asked before but when did your love of reading start?
Growing up we spent the summer at a cottage on Lake Erie. It was in a tiny town called North East right on the border of PA and NY. We were right on the lake and it was so beautiful. In the summers my dad would not allow a TV. He called it "the one-eyed people eater" You were to be outside enjoying nature, riding your bike, swimming, collecting things, etc.
I remember the big event was going to the library each week to get your books. That started a wonderful lifetime of reading for me. I'm in my 60's now and my dad in his 90's.
When I vacation one of the first things I pack is my book bag of what I want to read that trip. I'm so very thankful for my parents giving me that love and joy of reading.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 01:51 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,890,988 times
A lovely post...! Kudos for dad...my father was also my nature mentor.

My love of reading began in the 4th grade...with Nancy Drew mysteries, just right for a girl my age...from then on, I was SO hooked..and also have a good book along when traveling now.

While I have moved on to enjoy many types of books/reading, I still have my first NDrew, The Clue of the Broken Locket, on a etagere in my bedrm...looking at it right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwoodpoint View Post
Maybe this has been asked before but when did your love of reading start?
Growing up we spent the summer at a cottage on Lake Erie. It was in a tiny town called North East right on the border of PA and NY. We were right on the lake and it was so beautiful. In the summers my dad would not allow a TV. He called it "the one-eyed people eater" You were to be outside enjoying nature, riding your bike, swimming, collecting things, etc.
I remember the big event was going to the library each week to get your books. That started a wonderful lifetime of reading for me. I'm in my 60's now and my dad in his 90's.
When I vacation one of the first things I pack is my book bag of what I want to read that trip. I'm so very thankful for my parents giving me that love and joy of reading.....

Old 06-19-2011, 03:08 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,355,449 times
I don't remember learning to read, but I know I've always loved to read. In elementary school, we would have RIF reading contests, and I devoured books during that time. Of course, I remember always reading, but those contests really stick out because I would sit in the school library reading book after book after book.

Old 06-19-2011, 03:10 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,702,343 times
I can't remember when mine started. I supposedly could start to read when I was four.

Old 06-19-2011, 04:09 PM

1,461 posts, read 3,654,724 times
Greatblueheron~ Oh I loved the Nancy Drew books and the Hardy Boys. There were so many of them! What great memories....how wonderful you saved the one.

Old 06-19-2011, 06:12 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,423,588 times
I don't know when I started reading - but by 10 I was into NDrew, HBoys and The Three Investigatiors. (I snitched those from my brother's room). I never travel without a book.

Old 06-19-2011, 07:04 PM

1,245 posts, read 2,213,241 times
When I read the James Bond novels on my own in high school. Little did I know what excitement and allure could be found in a book.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:17 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,347,560 times
I think I really started enjoying books in the 3rd or 4th grade. We lived in Hawaii back then (before it was a State) and there were not a lot of libraries until we moved on base. Each month or so all of us in school got a little newspaper titled "The Weekly Reader." It was not "weekly" for us because we were not on the mainland. It really was an advertisement for kids' books. The books were soft-sided but were larger than paperbacks and I ordered a lot of them. I started out with books about ponies. Then I graduated to Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames. I think the books cost 25¢ each. When those boxes of books arrived in our classroom it was impossible to control us. We went crazy because we would have books to read and swap with our classmates. It was great fun. I still feel that way when I get books in the mail.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:32 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,890,988 times
Weeky Reader, oh my, almost forgot....I get excited w/books by mail too and even after I leave the library-can't wait to get home and begin...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I think I really started enjoying books in the 3rd or 4th grade. We lived in Hawaii back then (before it was a State) and there were not a lot of libraries until we moved on base. Each month or so all of us in school got a little newspaper titled "The Weekly Reader." It was not "weekly" for us because we were not on the mainland. It really was an advertisement for kids' books. The books were soft-sided but were larger than paperbacks and I ordered a lot of them. I started out with books about ponies. Then I graduated to Nancy Drew and Cherry Ames. I think the books cost 25¢ each. When those boxes of books arrived in our classroom it was impossible to control us. We went crazy because we would have books to read and swap with our classmates. It was great fun. I still feel that way when I get books in the mail.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:05 PM

974 posts, read 1,588,736 times
In the 2nd grade when I found Susan Coopers The Dark is Rising series.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books