Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM

2,179 posts, read 3,404,562 times

Advertisements

What does everyone look for in a novel?

Do you LOOK for anything? Maybe you either like it or not, but don't have any fast rules..

Myself, the first thing I want is to be pulled in by the language, the voice..

Then, if and when I am, the environment, the world the characters live in and the one I am visiting.

Then, story, gotta have a reason to keep turning the pages..

Lastly, for me, what relevance does this story have to what I know of life? What have I learned?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2011, 04:27 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,992,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
A trip to any bookstore will demonstrate to you that books are placed in labled sections. . . .fiction, non-fiction, literature, sci-fi, romance, mystery, cookbooks, biograrphy, etc. That is a pretty good "clue"
Hmm. I could have sworn that Shakespeare wrote for "entertainment value". Maybe I'm missing the point of what is "literature".

When writers write, do they know whether they are writing "literature" or "fiction for entertainment value"?

Old 06-28-2011, 05:22 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,356,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Hmm. I could have sworn that Shakespeare wrote for "entertainment value". Maybe I'm missing the point of what is "literature".

When writers write, do they know whether they are writing "literature" or "fiction for entertainment value"?

Perhaps I could have explained my understanding of the difference between fiction and literature.

I hope not to offend anyone, one reads those books that are interesting to you. . . .and that's fine.. . . . nevertheless, my observation has been that most fiction, written for the popular market, and written primarly for entertainment value, falls into the category of "patterned" fiction. . . .where the basic plot of each story is the same. . . . names, settings, etc. change. This is true for romance novels, who-done-its, even some science fiction, although the last category has some really amazing writers that do "break the mold" with each new story, and who deserve to be recognized for their artistic creativity.
In general, literature follows no pattern except that of the authors mind and thought process, and each book by any given author is unique to itself, although style of writing may not change. '

Old 06-29-2011, 12:15 AM

5,503 posts, read 5,570,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. That is what I LOVE about historical fiction (one of my favorite genres).

My reading tend to gravitate toward non-fiction but...there are several historical novels that I enjoy:
"Sarum" Edward Rutherford
"The Covenant" James Michener
"Pillars of the Earth" Ken Follett

To name a few...

Old 06-29-2011, 08:41 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,816 times
Default does anyone read anymore?

i'm new to this forum but your question intrigued me. i've always read, primarily fiction in the early years, and non-fiction most often now. i have to say that i find the fiction books that are being published to be less interesting to me and less enjoyable to read. i don't know if the quality of what is being published has declined- my guess is yes- or my tastes and or standards have changed. the latter may be true as well.

i find that mysteries- usually british- are what i enjoy in fiction genre, and biographies are what i usually like in non-fiction. i like most of p.d. james, elizabeth george,martha grimes, ruth rendell. i loved "no ordinary time" - doris kearns goodwin-about the roosevelt years during ww2. i found the description of the war years on the home front to be compelling reading. i just finished "reagan at 100" written by his son; i felt it was somewhat interesting but not memorable.

i'm always looking for more possibilities in fiction as i used to enjoy it but in the last several years have often been disappointed. i've read some of the standard "hits"- "the help", "south of broad" and have been under whelmed. in the case of pat conroy, i liked some of his earlier work- "the great santini" comes to mind.

just some observations...

catsy girl

Old 06-29-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap1717 View Post
Perhaps I could have explained my understanding of the difference between fiction and literature.

I hope not to offend anyone, one reads those books that are interesting to you. . . .and that's fine.. . . . nevertheless, my observation has been that most fiction, written for the popular market, and written primarly for entertainment value, falls into the category of "patterned" fiction. . . .where the basic plot of each story is the same. . . . names, settings, etc. change. This is true for romance novels, who-done-its, even some science fiction, although the last category has some really amazing writers that do "break the mold" with each new story, and who deserve to be recognized for their artistic creativity.
In general, literature follows no pattern except that of the authors mind and thought process, and each book by any given author is unique to itself, although style of writing may not change. '
That's my understanding, too. If it's not tailored to a certain genre, then it is expected to be unique in its style and perceptions.. thank you

Old 06-29-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catsy girl View Post
i'm new to this forum but your question intrigued me. i've always read, primarily fiction in the early years, and non-fiction most often now. i have to say that i find the fiction books that are being published to be less interesting to me and less enjoyable to read. i don't know if the quality of what is being published has declined- my guess is yes- or my tastes and or standards have changed. the latter may be true as well.

i find that mysteries- usually british- are what i enjoy in fiction genre, and biographies are what i usually like in non-fiction. i like most of p.d. james, elizabeth george,martha grimes, ruth rendell. i loved "no ordinary time" - doris kearns goodwin-about the roosevelt years during ww2. i found the description of the war years on the home front to be compelling reading. i just finished "reagan at 100" written by his son; i felt it was somewhat interesting but not memorable.

i'm always looking for more possibilities in fiction as i used to enjoy it but in the last several years have often been disappointed. i've read some of the standard "hits"- "the help", "south of broad" and have been under whelmed. in the case of pat conroy, i liked some of his earlier work- "the great santini" comes to mind.

just some observations...

catsy girl
What's your gut tell you, Catsy, as far as what fiction is NOT doing for you these days? What's lacking or failing?

I like biographies a lot too.. two that I've been flirting with are the first book written by Michael Caine, the actor.. have read enough to know this, the guy can write! And another one, that I've thus far gotten about half way through is Goodwin's "Team of Rivals", on the Lincoln administration; a lot of novelistic traits in this one.

What are you looking for in fiction that you are as of late hard-pressed to find?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:55 AM

698 posts, read 1,051,816 times
Default does anybody read anymore?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
What's your gut tell you, Catsy, as far as what fiction is NOT doing for you these days? What's lacking or failing?

I like biographies a lot too.. two that I've been flirting with are the first book written by Michael Caine, the actor.. have read enough to know this, the guy can write! And another one, that I've thus far gotten about half way through is Goodwin's "Team of Rivals", on the Lincoln administration; a lot of novelistic traits in this one.

What are you looking for in fiction that you are as of late hard-pressed to find?

i prefer novels that are character -driven, and where there is depth in character development. my opinion of much of today's fiction is that it is fairly superficial and contrived.
i have read "team of rivals" and i enjoyed it, but not as much as "no ordinary time" i am particularly interested in the ww2 era so that was certainly some of the attraction. i also loved "franklin and winston- an intimate portrait" by jon meacham. i loved the comparing and contrasting of backgrounds and how their very different pasts impacted their relationship and their working together. i also liked david mccullogh's "morning on horseback" , a biography of t.r. roosevelt's early years. i didn't enjoy his "1776".

classic novelists i have enjoyed are edith wharton, willa cather, e.m. forster, and some of f.scott fitzgerald.

catsy

Old 06-29-2011, 08:17 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Humble View Post
Ok, just wanted to get your attention.. Obviously, you do or chances are you wouldn't be on this thread. But, and here's my question, of all your friends and family, how many of them are consistent readers? Meaning, the odds are that they will at most times have a book going..

My other question is, of those that you know of that are big readers, how many of them read fiction?

Oh, and one more question.. if you will. Does it take a certain kind of person to read fiction? A certain mindset? Maybe the calm, or the passivity, or the emotional rather than the mental intelligence to be taken in by a fictional world?
I think that there is such a variety of fiction that all fiction readers wouldn't be able to be that neatly lumped together. There's a big difference, IMO, in people who only read about heaving bosoms and swarthy men and people who read about intrigue and spies.

I read more nonfiction than fiction, personally, but I do like some types of fiction a lot more than others.

My mother is 82 and an avid reader. She reads both fiction and non. Most of my coworkers are regular readers. We are people with long commutes on public transportation, which probably has a lot to do with it.

By the way, I've taken a number of writing courses and workshops, fiction and nonfiction, and I can tell you that fiction writers are very different from nonfiction writers. GENERALLY speaking, fiction writers are more emotional, have a harder time taking criticism, and tend to be the flakier sorts in personality. Nonfiction writers are more logical and welcome constructive criticism. There are exceptions on both sides, though.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:22 PM

88,588 posts, read 84,795,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Yes. That is what I LOVE about historical fiction (one of my favorite genres).
Same here. Historical fiction is my favorite.

Also, certain authors tend to incorporate little-known facts into their fiction that sends me out searching to see if what was written is actually true. Literally sends me out at times, lol--Nelson DeMille is one such author who always sprinkles his fiction liberally with bits of fact and history. In The Gold Coast, the protaganist works in a building on Wall Street that still bears the scars of the 1920 terroristic bombing by anarchists. I took a walk at lunchtime to go see the building to see if the marks were indeed visible. Oddly, a stone-restoration company had scaffolding up and was working on the building that day.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 06-29-2011 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: Referenced the wrong DeMille novel!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books