Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 10:05 PM

8,816 posts, read 21,286,964 times

Advertisements

I searched for this in Search this Forum and was kind of surprised that I did not find anything about it. Has anyone else read this very poignant amazing book ? I would love to chat about it if you have. Absolutely one of the best books I have ever read.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 01:28 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
I guess it depends on what you are looking for.

The Help was indeed a page-turner, with a couple of compelling characters, but the entire time I read it, I felt manipulated and removed from the situation.
Maybe the 'white savior' heroine, Skeeter, put me off a bit. She just never much clicked as a real person for me, so everything felt a bit contrived.

One of my friends told me that Southern Junior League society was very well re-recreated in the Help, though. (She spoke from experience.)

The Bob Dylan song, "The Times They Are A Changin,'" is mentioned in the book.
That same Dylan album had this song in it: The Lonesome Death of Hattie Carroll
The lyrics are a commentary on the racism of the 1960s, which valued a black woman's life so lightly. In 1963 when Hattie Carroll was killed, Charles County was still strictly segregated by race in public facilities such as restaurants, churches, theaters, doctor's offices, buses, and the county fair. The schools of Charles County were not integrated until 1967.

Old 04-05-2010, 05:05 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,546 times
I really loved it, though I felt a bit cheated with the ending- it just seemed kind of abrupt, even though the author tied it up nicely for Skeeter and Aibilene. And I did think it could have been a little shorter. But I learned so much about the South- for example, with the care that Skeeter had to take in going to visit Aibilene. The idea that she could have been arrested, in 1960s America, was mind-boggling. I would love for there to be a sequel, and I heard that it's being made into a movie.

Old 04-06-2010, 12:43 AM

15,891 posts, read 18,334,293 times
I liked it so much that I read it twice.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:35 PM

I reread the last part. I did not want to let it go......................

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 04-07-2010, 11:49 AM

13,406 posts, read 28,739,320 times
It's in my "To Be Read" pile..almost done with The Shack, then will read The Help

Old 04-07-2010, 10:15 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,091,373 times
Uhmmm--I also searched the forum because I just reserved it at the library and even though this thread is here I got no matches? Anyway--I am looking forward to it having been in Ms for decades but still learning about this southern culture. Last night on The Charlie Rose Show, Martha Stewert was being interviewed and when asked what she was reading she "confessed" to having read The Help and that her daughter was flabbergasted and asked her "How could you read that book?" I wonder what all that was about? Intellectual snobbery?

Old 04-07-2010, 11:25 PM

I can't imagine. I would say that it is in the top ten of my favorite books.

Old 04-10-2010, 05:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,034,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Last night on The Charlie Rose Show, Martha Stewert was being interviewed and when asked what she was reading she "confessed" to having read The Help and that her daughter was flabbergasted and asked her "How could you read that book?" I wonder what all that was about? Intellectual snobbery?
It probably was indeed intellectual snobbery, and that is unfortunate.

I guess I might have come off the same way, but don't mean to.
I wanted to like it more than I did, especially considering the fact that there were so many real brave men and women back then, who really did effect change.
It's just that while the story was compelling, The Help's characters mostly fell flat for me, so the book never came to life. There was little depth.
"To Kill A Mockingbird," it ain't.

For those who might want to delve into the civil rights subject some more, and understand the underpinnings of segregation, this engaging book is a true story of a town not far from where I live.
The amazing part of this nonfiction book is the fact that this kind of discrimination was still happening in the 70's. The book is part oral history, part documentary, but also the author herself ably evokes the time and place.
Praying For Sheetrock

Old 04-11-2010, 02:32 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Last night on The Charlie Rose Show, Martha Stewert was being interviewed and when asked what she was reading she "confessed" to having read The Help and that her daughter was flabbergasted and asked her "How could you read that book?" I wonder what all that was about? Intellectual snobbery?
Eh, I think Martha Stewart's daughter is a bit full of herself.

Maybe the book wasn't War and Peace, but it wasn't chick lit fluff either. Maybe Alexis Stewart is a Twilight fan. If my 30 and 40 something female friends and relatives are any indication, those are the books to read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books