Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 08:29 PM

117 posts, read 244,953 times

Advertisements

I enjoy reading books but am not good with deciding which books to buy.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 08:34 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
What sorts of interest does this teen have? Mysteries? Romance? Classic literature? Westerns? Adventures? Narrow it down a bit, and we'll see what's out there.

Old 08-21-2011, 08:44 PM

117 posts, read 244,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peppermint View Post
What sorts of interest does this teen have? Mysteries? Romance? Classic literature? Westerns? Adventures? Narrow it down a bit, and we'll see what's out there.
I like all to be honest! But I like adventure and romance the most

Old 08-21-2011, 09:12 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
Well, there is the standard The Lord of the Rings (definite adventure). I like Judy Blume and Robert Cormier. Their works are frequently challenged and banned, which is why I like them. I also like John Jakes. Now, he's more for adults, but I think adults are living in a hole if they think teens don't think about sex and revenge. Same with Larry McMurtry, who wrote the Lonesome Dove series. I loved A Tale of Two Cities and Jane Austen too. haha, I just remembered loving Jurassic Park in junior high!

Hmm, I don't know that my recs are too helpful. I typically like nonfiction, but these are some of my fiction favs. I'm sure others will have recs too.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:22 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,364,053 times
Outlander, that is one of my daughter's favorite books. Dragon Rider, also another favorite.

Old 08-22-2011, 07:33 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,936,117 times
Peace Like a River by Leif Enger is a great story that is well written, sweet and funny.

You also might like The Book Thief. The premise sounds sort of weird - it is narrated by "Death", but it centers on the life of a young girl in Germany during WWII. After the first few pages when you get the hang of "Death" as the narrator, it is a super enjoyable read!

PS - I noticed that you said you didn't know what to buy. Do you have access to a library? You can fill your arms with books, read a few pages to decide which ones you like and not worry about the "duds" because its all free!

Old 08-22-2011, 09:33 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
You could check out The Angel Experiment series by james patterson. they are about a group of teens that have genetic modifications. also, Steve Berry has some good stand along books as well as his series of books featuring cotton malone. they do include an historical aspect to them. James Rollins Sigma Force series is really good too.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:37 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,868,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy345 View Post
I enjoy reading books but am not good with deciding which books to buy.
Do you have any suggestions?
Thanks
I have three books that I consider must reads for not only teenagers but anyone. They are:
WATERSHIP DOWN, a story about a warren of Rabbits who have to relocate. Sounds dumb right? It is one of the most fascinating stories I have ever read and I was in my twenties before I read it.
Next is LONESOME DOVE. It has a lot of adult content so it would be more suitable for a mature teenager, probably a High school Junior or older.
LORD OF THE FLIES is probably on most required reading lists by the time a student makes it to College. Although it is a very disturbing book any kid ten years old or older can identify with the characters in the story.

There are so many books and so little time. To really get a grasp on how civilization has changed over time reading the popular literature of the day is a good way to understand the morals and attitudes of the times. A History book may tell of the actual events but the popular literature of that time gives reasons WHY things happen. As an example the collective works of Mark Twain gives a lot of insight into events of the 19th Century. Charles Dickens stories give a viewpoint of European events during the same century that Mark Twain wrote about. Thomas Wolfe, Upton Sinclair, William Faulkner and a few others have unique ways of explaining events of the early 20th Century.

GL2

Old 08-22-2011, 11:02 AM

29,746 posts, read 34,396,829 times
I'd recommend the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde. They take place in an alternate sort of modern world, and Thursday is a character who can go into books and interact with the characters.

Old 08-22-2011, 01:43 PM

3,848 posts, read 7,963,110 times
Is it a boy or girl? The girls like Twilight. Romance, action etc. The books are better than the movies. I second the Patterson series
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books