Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2007, 12:04 PM

1,611 posts, read 4,853,163 times

Advertisements

Certainly it is your prerogative to not read if you so choose but you have my sympathy. As for Neil Conan's suggestion that there are fewer readers due to the popularity of audible books, I'm sorry, but I don't really consider that reading - it's listening! I have actually considered getting an iPod and subscribing to audible.com to be able to get some books that way but only because it would afford me a supplemental way to enjoy additional books. But it would never replace the pleasure of browsing through a bookstore to select just the right story and the anticipation of starting to read it. I kid my husband all the time that the weight of all our books is likely to crack the foundation of our house - he isn't a fan of paperbacks and never wants to get rid of anything we've read. We even anticipate the joy of building our next (and final) house and making room for an actual, honest-to-goodness library. Read on book lovers, read on!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2007, 06:20 PM

5,299 posts, read 8,254,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrover View Post
Certainly it is your prerogative to not read if you so choose but you have my sympathy. As for Neil Conan's suggestion that there are fewer readers due to the popularity of audible books, I'm sorry, but I don't really consider that reading - it's listening! I have actually considered getting an iPod and subscribing to audible.com to be able to get some books that way but only because it would afford me a supplemental way to enjoy additional books. But it would never replace the pleasure of browsing through a bookstore to select just the right story and the anticipation of starting to read it. I kid my husband all the time that the weight of all our books is likely to crack the foundation of our house - he isn't a fan of paperbacks and never wants to get rid of anything we've read. We even anticipate the joy of building our next (and final) house and making room for an actual, honest-to-goodness library. Read on book lovers, read on!
I don't consider it reading either. Just wanted to post an alternative opinion. My hubby loves his iPod, but not to replace reading -- podcasts and music. I like paperbacks as well as hardcovers -- they don't weigh as much. LOL. We'll be moving soon and we'll use one room for a library.

Old 08-23-2007, 11:14 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,467,954 times
I am a junkie for the printed word... since I've had children I'm down to one or two a month if I'm lucky and a the city newspaper everyday. I used to read several a week along with two newspapers a day (city newspaper & WSJ). So, now I have to listen to audiobooks on my ipod while doing errands or whatever - there's some nice classics on itunes that are free.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:00 AM

13,608 posts, read 5,386,066 times
I absolutely cannot imagine my life without reading.

I even don't have small handbag because they have to be large enough to carry a book. At work at lunchtime, when going to a doctor's appointment or while waiting anywhere for friends, I always take a book with me.

Due to my kid I don't have that much time anymore but I can still squeeze some time in for a few pages every day. Although I didn't get much sleep right after he was born I didn't take the time to make nap when he was sleeping but read.
I also listen to audio books (just got two new parts from Diana Gabaldon's highland saga) but I listen to them while cooking or driving to my classes. Mostly I read just for fun and not to learn something particular. I have a wide range of interests so I read what comes to mind. However I'm not going into any library because the English book section here is very limited and also the bookstores are not of my taste here. I look for recommendations from other readers or browse through ebay or amazone. Unfortunately owning books can be quite expensive and also space consuming when never selling or giving them away again. As we already built our own home we don't have the space for a library. I'm really regretting it but what can you do?
Tonight I will go on reading a new children's book I found at amazon.com. It's called Inkheart and it's very cute.
Have fun while reading or listening to books!!!

Old 08-24-2007, 11:17 AM

2,126 posts, read 6,802,659 times
I'm honestly suprised the ratio isn't higher. I would have guess 1/2 of America didn't read a book last year.

I've "discovered" reading again in the past few years. I am an engineer and all through college I had to read very dry, technical material. I think that made me lose passion for reading because it was always very difficult material. After being out of school for a few years, I have found works of fiction to be a nice retreat from my daily technical work. I think it keeps me balanced.

Old 09-03-2007, 12:10 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Power Surge View Post
Well they can classify me as one of those 4 because I rarely read (books). I read music, maps, magazines, news articles, floor plans, but not books.

Why no books?

Old 09-03-2007, 12:11 AM

502 posts, read 1,066,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVGAZ View Post
I personally do not think that it is because"we choose not to read"
I think due to the heavy schedules of raising children, working to"stay alive" in America - the average person just does not seem to have the time to sit and enjoy a good book - I have 2 on my nightstand and look at them everyday -and I love to read - but life is so fast and consuming - where do you find those few minutes of quietness...

Not trying to be a jerk, just curious... Do you have a tv?

Old 09-03-2007, 05:28 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,017,299 times
I come from a family of readers who would read cereal boxes if that's the only thing available.
However, some people just aren't into it. Maybe they do a lot of reading for their job, maybe they can't sit still, maybe they think fiction is a waste of time, etc.
OTOH, I agree that audio-visual/internet stuff is taking the place of the printed page.
Look at how so many newspapers are struggling these days.
Still, I do not think books will become extinct, nor will they all mutate into digital media.
So many people *do* enjoy the tangible printed word; a computer screen will never take the place of that.

Old 09-03-2007, 05:59 AM

7,136 posts, read 12,671,921 times
I am an avid reader and try to squeeze out time to read everyday. I cannot imagine my life without reading and my husband and teenagers are readers too. Our local library knows my family well and when my DH calls them they don't even ask for his name any more - they know who it is.

Sadly, I have to agree with the article. A lot of people simply do not read for pleasure. The tv and computer have, in many homes, replaced reading. As a teacher, I find this disturbing and try to change the tide with a nightly reading requirement for my third graders- 15 minutes per day, reading aloud to a parent/guardian. Once my students and their parents/guardians get into the habit of reading together they seem to enjoy it, but initailly it's a struggle and you wouldn't believe the excuses I hear from the adults about why they can't spend 15 minutes a night listening to their child read.

As a working mom, I understand why people might want to plop down and watch television - it's a mindless activity requiring little or no effort after a long days work - or play on the computer - instant gratification and feedback with very little work. I wish more people would realize that things that require very little effort reap very small rewards, but in our society that seems unlikely. How else can you explain the media's fascination with the likes of Paris Hilton?

I hope all of you have a great Labor Day and get to read or do something you enjoy!

Old 09-03-2007, 06:55 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,625,061 times
As much as I enjoy some TV programmes or films , to me there is nothing which can beat being curled up with a great book. Reading makes me think, and takes me away somewhere different every time. It's the purest form of escapism I know and I would be bereft without the pleasures of literary works, great or small.
It really saddens me that so many people consider it such an effort. Good writing should never require too much effort as it gives so much pleasure and offers so many rewards.
I started reading as a tot and have never stopped.

I know some people cite not having enough time to read but I find this really difficult to believe .
Books open new worlds, make you exercise your imagination, move, amuse, make you cry and smile, and ultimately to me are something I could never live without.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books