Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 04:45 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times

Advertisements

I have enjoyed reading books since I first learned how to read at about age five. Even before I learned to read my Mother read to me and told me stories. I remember having a few nightmares when I was very young but after I learned how to read I very seldom had nightmares, even if I was reading a scary book. I did have a lot of dreams though. I still do.

Just from talking with various friends I have concluded that I must dream a lot more often than most people. Another conclusion I have made is that there seems to be a direct connection to the number of times a person dreams and how often they read books. Nothing scientific on my part just observations from personal experience.

Am I abnormal or normal? LOL. I haven't made up my mind yet and I don't know if I want a professional opinion.

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2011, 07:30 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Paraphrasing Philip K. Dick: Do Kindle readers dream of electronic books?

Old 10-12-2011, 09:28 PM

2,319 posts, read 4,800,934 times
I don't know, Gun. My dad and I read a lot and we both dream a lot. Crazy stuff. My husband reads a lot too, but he doesn't dream as much. My mom rarely reads, and she hardly ever dreams.

When I read thrillers, I tend to have dreams for weeks about being chased or hunted. It's very exhausting! I have a very impressionable mind, I know that.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:43 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
You don't dream more than anyone else, you just remember more of your dreams than some people do. Everyone dreams every night, it's just a matter of whether you remember them or not.

Reading helps keep the brain active and healthy, which can help improve memory. So there could still be a link. But I read everyday (go through about 70 books a year) and I hardly ever remember my dreams.

Old 10-14-2011, 06:08 PM

1,370 posts, read 2,181,145 times
Interesting thought. I dream every night and I always remember large parts of my dreams. I also have had several recurring dreams in my life, and I have recurring places that I visit that exist only in my dreams, whole landscapes that I find myself in regularly. I also have lots of nightmares, although what I term nightmares are mostly more about unpleasant things that have happened in my life, rather than spooky things.

I also have read regularly since I was young, and now listen to an average of about ten books a month. I do know that settings and characters that are in books I have read occasionally show up in my dreams, in fact they did just last night.

I know a few people who don't remember their dreams, and who also read regularly, so I doubt there is really a connection. I would think perhaps people who read might have a lot of interesting elements appear in their dreams that might not in those of people who aren't exposed to those worlds.

Fun thread.

Old 10-16-2011, 04:55 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,861,262 times
I have the habit of keeping a pencil and a spiral notebook on a night stand next to my bed. I am an inventor and over the years I have had dreams that gave me a solution to a problem I had been pondering during my waking hours. Another thing I can depend on is when I have been trying to remember a name of someone and I have thought about it for hours or days I will remember it during the night. I always write it down so I won't forget it all over again. When I cannot remember something it stays with me in the back of my mind until I remember it.

I also love doing Crosswords, Soduku, Cryptograms and other Logic problems. However I have made it a rule to NEVER start trying to solve the puzzles until I have the answer available. When The New York Times crossword puzzles were only available in the newspaper I would be distracted all week long if I couldn't solve the puzzle. I would be at the newsstand waiting for the truck to drop off the paper. My girl friend tells me I am slightly crazy. She may be right.

GL2

Old 10-16-2011, 04:57 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
stimulates the imagination, tv and movies does not.

Old 10-20-2011, 11:14 AM

6,793 posts, read 5,658,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
stimulates the imagination, tv and movies does not.
reading forces you to create the scene and characters in your mind vs simply allowing the TV director to create it for you..

I have always heard that we dream every time we reach deep sleep, we just dont' always remember what we dream or if we dreamed at all.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Does day dreaming count?

How would we know how much dreaming is done by others? How do we know whether, for example, watching too much TV or eating ice cream before going to sleep cases you to dream more (or less)?

Old 10-24-2011, 11:37 AM

10,208 posts, read 17,859,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How would we know how much dreaming is done by others? How do we know whether, for example, watching too much TV or eating ice cream before going to sleep cases you to dream more (or less)?
Because there's been studies done on it. Various things can influence our sleep pattern and therefore, influence how many dreams we have or how many we remember. Broken sleep or sleep disorders will disrupt the sleep pattern but if you get a normal night's rest, you probably have about the same amount of dreams as anyone else, it's just a matter of how many you remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books