Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: When do you do MOST of your reading?
weekends 3 5.45%
commuting 3 5.45%
'first things of the day' routine 1 1.82%
during the day 6 10.91%
during late afternoon and evening 10 18.18%
'last things at night' routine 32 58.18%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 11:52 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,051,289 times

Advertisements

All day long. E-books on the computer. Physical books while cooking, eating, doing the laundry, ironing, waiting (for a flight), etc. Audio books while travelling. The only time I am without a book is when my eyes are closed at night.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2011, 10:50 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeneko View Post
I used to carry ear plugs with me to read in public. Once I started flying alot, treated myself to some bose heaadphones.

I only read at night now - I've got an 18mo-old so I can't read while waiting at the drs, etc... But before I had the baby, I read every chance I got..
A good idea, thanks! I also have the issue of things catching my eye, but I can overcome that a lot more easily than the distraction of sound.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:43 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
I stopped subscribing to the daily newspapers a few years ago and have replaced that ritual with reading books. depending on the day etc. I read from 20 minutes to an hour each morning. I only peruse the newspapers online and read the few items that catch my eye! The big money saver is checking out the books from the library and not buying them! or only buying them at the library's used book sales.

Old 11-02-2011, 07:56 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,289,591 times
I do most of my reading during the earlier part of the day, between 10am to 1pm. Then maybe another hour after TV time. I also make sure I have a book with me when going anywhere.

Old 11-03-2011, 08:31 AM

3,440 posts, read 6,549,100 times
SGresident - I agree the Library is a great source as well as used book sales. Our library has a "Friend's of the Library" organization that uses our annual book sale as our major fundraiser.. There is always a great selection and variety. Many hard covers too. We have it usually the 2nd weekend of May and I hate it if I have to be away that weekend.

Old 11-03-2011, 03:52 PM

885 posts, read 1,522,279 times
Just as I suspected, most posters read before bed. I do this too but only sometimes.

It seems we don't have a lot of time to focus on reading anything, we're catching pages in a parking lot and wearing earplugs....

I said I was setting aside time for reading - well, it happened once and I did enjoy it.

I can read anywhere because my focus is good but I have to have TIME to get into the material: probably 90 solid minutes is ideal. Hmmm... Got to make 90 solid minutes happen

Old 11-04-2011, 02:51 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
For some reason, I read most at lunchtime on work days... seeing as I work at a library, you'd think that would be the LAST thing I'd do on breaks! But we get a full hour, and I typically go to a local restaurant (using the term "restaurant" loosely, as it's often a burrito joint or McDonald's) to sit & eat alone. After my food is gone, I get comfortable and read for the rest of my hour.

Despite what some people think, us librarians rarely get to read AT work, since we're too busy doing our actual job. And at home I have the distractions of my pets, television, computer, phone, etc, so it's hard to get any peace & quiet. Sometimes I'll read in bed before going to sleep, but otherwise most of my reading is done elsewhere.

Old 11-04-2011, 02:56 AM

30,357 posts, read 51,950,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newdaawn View Post
SGresident - I agree the Library is a great source as well as used book sales. Our library has a "Friend's of the Library" organization that uses our annual book sale as our major fundraiser.. There is always a great selection and variety. Many hard covers too. We have it usually the 2nd weekend of May and I hate it if I have to be away that weekend.
We have a great "Friends" organization, and in every other library where I've worked they've been invaluable in raising funds... love 'em! My current library has a Friends booksale every Saturday, where hardbacks are $1 and paperbacks are only $0.50 - unless it's a rare and/or signed edition, in which case they price them according to market rate. Definitely a great source for buying books, and sadly many people have no idea they exist.

Old 04-29-2017, 11:33 AM

522 posts, read 715,949 times
I generally read during the day when I have time.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:52 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,599,516 times
I used to wake up at 5 and read for a couple of hours before heading to work, but that was when my commute was easier. Now I mostly read at night before going to bed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books