Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 04:28 PM

5,585 posts, read 984,311 times

Advertisements

No music here while reading, sometimes the tv. is on low, I can deal with that, most of the time I read in total silence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2012, 05:01 PM

1,013 posts, read 1,420,846 times
I'm distracted by the silence - i need something for background noise.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 AM

13,400 posts, read 28,719,321 times
I can listen to mood music tuned low....like Sound Scapes, can not listen to anything with lyrics as it's to distracting for me when reading

Old 06-15-2012, 03:05 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,622,555 times
It has to be silence for me as I find any sound a distraction. I certainly could not read to a commercial radio with adverts, or one which has talking either. Even Classical music is something I cannot get used to when reading.

And it a song has lyrics then it is an absolute no no as lyrics are hugely important to me and I actually listen to the words which then enter my head and reading is then over. Hubby can read with the tv or the radio on and it amazes me.

I need to retreat into my own little world when reading and noise ( even beautiful noise) is simply not conducive to concentration for me.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:14 PM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by House4kids View Post
I'm distracted by the silence - i need something for background noise.

This is me, there's usually something in the background, even if it's just the sound of the ocean when I'm at the beach.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:10 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I can't listen to music while reading because I get very involved with the music. In other words, I take part in the music either by singing along with it or, in the case of classical music, getting so depressed I can't do much of anything else.

On the other hand, I can't drive without a CD playing. I'm one of those drivers you see on the road who is singing like there is no tomorrow.

Funny, though. I can read in a crowded waiting room with no problem at all. I guess I can tune out everything except tunes.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:24 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,461,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I can't listen to music while reading because I get very involved with the music. In other words, I take part in the music either by singing along with it or, in the case of classical music, getting so depressed I can't do much of anything else.

On the other hand, I can't drive without a CD playing. I'm one of those drivers you see on the road who is singing like there is no tomorrow.

Funny, though. I can read in a crowded waiting room with no problem at all. I guess I can tune out everything except tunes.
I actually have to be careful what the background music is, can't be finger snapping upbeat tunes, or I'll be too distracted, I tried reading a serious toned book while listening to pop tunes and that didn't go over very well. Ketabcha, I'm the lady in the other car head bobbing, lips moving, body shaking to music as well. I know I'm a sight to see. But I like to have classical, alternative lite, easy listening like Enya (have six of cds), Enigma, or Sade, Seal Nora Jones and Marc Anthony. Those kinds of sounds I like in the background.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:26 AM
'M'

1,956 posts, read 3,201,389 times
At home, generally, no...because I can't concentrate. Especially if I'm reading something 'technical'. But why is it that I can do it at Starbucks with their piped in music? Huh.

Old 09-09-2012, 05:46 AM

10,855 posts, read 6,367,511 times
If I'm not watching tv shows online, then I'm listening to music.
It acts as a "white-noise" machine to help obscure/cover/dilute other sounds (made by other people). I don't pay much attention to lyrics, my reasons for wanting to hear songs usually have little to do with the words. Listening to a playlist on repeat (or full album) is much easier than having to stop reading every few minutes and decide which track to listen to next.

Speaking voice (from radio/tv/real life talking) does distract me, interferes w/reading. Can't mentally screen out (ignore) ads, find them very jarring (but I only hear them in stores, not at home). Concentrating on reading doesn't work well for me out in public, because I have too much on my mind to deal with in the present moment-but once I'm back home, I can settle into reading with focus (accompanied by soundtrack of my own choosing).

Old 09-09-2012, 01:49 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
I can't read if there is background music because I sing along with it and thus cannot read.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books