Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2013, 05:12 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,941,102 times

Advertisements

There has been a good bit of chatter in the "What Book Are You Reading" thread about this lovely novel and I thought it might be best to give it a thread of its own. The Goldfinch is almost 800 pages so I anticipate that people will be reading it for weeks to months and won't want to slog back through hundreds of posts to see what others had to say.

I finished The Goldfinch several days ago and promised to loan it to a friend, but I'm not ready to part with it yet as I keep going back and re-reading some of the beautiful passages. Donna Tartt is a master of words and a wicked story-teller!

I would love to have more discussion from other Goldfinch readers! We will promise to keep any spoilers marked as such.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2013, 06:21 AM

13,408 posts, read 28,747,273 times
I downloaded that the other day for my kindle..didn't realize it was 800 pages!!!

Old 12-05-2013, 06:23 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,387,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njkate View Post
I downloaded that the other day for my kindle..didn't realize it was 800 pages!!!
I downloaded it too, 800 pages...not even sure what it is about.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:37 AM

13,408 posts, read 28,747,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I downloaded it too, 800 pages...not even sure what it is about.
Guess we are going to find out

Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,354,451 times
$1.79 for the Kindle right now.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:25 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,941,102 times
I read the hardback because the last few books that I've read just weren't as enjoyable as they should have been so I decided to take a break from the Kindle and see if a "real" book felt different. There were times that I wished I had The Goldfinch on the Kindle because it was such a clunky one to haul around, but I ended up underlining, annotating, looking up words... and was so happy to have my very own paper copy. And I made sure to not drop it on my toe!

I'm curious if the Kindle readers felt like they were reading 778 pages worth of text or if it went by faster than that?

Old 12-05-2013, 09:33 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,055,877 times
You're really making me anxious to start reading this! I need to wait until January -- after a work project and the holidays are done -- so that I can truly enjoy it. I don't want to read this one in fits and starts.

PS. I have it on my Kindle. I always find that Kindle books go by faster because, with a paper book (especially a clunky one), I have to readjust my entire body (I swear!) when going from the left to the right page, especially when I'm reading while lying down.

Old 12-05-2013, 09:42 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,962,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
$1.79 for the Kindle right now.
Thanks for this. I just bought it.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:13 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,338,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I read the hardback because the last few books that I've read just weren't as enjoyable as they should have been so I decided to take a break from the Kindle and see if a "real" book felt different. There were times that I wished I had The Goldfinch on the Kindle because it was such a clunky one to haul around, but I ended up underlining, annotating, looking up words... and was so happy to have my very own paper copy. And I made sure to not drop it on my toe!

I'm curious if the Kindle readers felt like they were reading 778 pages worth of text or if it went by faster than that?
I feel like it takes me longer to read from a Kindle app. I am much more easily distracted and that might be one reason - I am distracted because I am bothered by the inability to bend my pages, or to check out the ending, or page through the way I want to. Reading a good book in paper is much more enjoyable for me but I was too impatient to wait for a trip to a bookstore when I bought it, even though in the end, I ended up not reading The Goldfinch until after I had started The Abominable.

However, I can see the value of having a Kindle to take along to read. I had an allergist appointment the other day and I took my ipad along so I could continue reading another book while I was waiting. And I have asked for a Kindle Paperwhite for Christmas and maybe I will like that more. But even if I don`t like it more, it would still be handy to stick into my purse for those times when you know you will end up waiting.

(Not that I'm intending to take the thread off-topic, but actually we had a bad weather forecast for the day of my allergist appointment and one of the reasons I took my ipad was because if I ended up getting stuck, I could pass the time away merrily enough with all the books in the world to read . Isn't that just CRAZY?! I realised that that has always been one of my big worries when out in bad weather. I wouldn't know what to do without access to books.)

Old 12-05-2013, 06:07 PM

995 posts, read 1,116,687 times
I don't have a Kindle personally...my husband does tho. So, I downloaded the Kindle app for my iPad, (which I don't like to read on) and linked it to his Kindle. Yay for all the various mysteries and westerns he has that I'm so not interested in lol. But for $1.79, I'm willing to give this one a go. Not sure when I'll get to it, probably after Xmas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books