Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 10:12 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,970,848 times

Advertisements

I remember my fifth grade teacher reading us "Homer Price", by Robert McCloskey - each chapter is a separate incident in Homer's young life, which is filled with quirky characters and amazing happenings. The entire class would crack up with giggles at the famous overloaded, won't quit doughnut machine episode (with a diamond bracelet accidentally baked into one of the doughnuts!), pet skunk Aroma's assistance in capturing a gang of radio station robbers, Homer's tongue-twisted Uncle Ulysses, and more. There's a sequel, "Centerburg Tales", just as funny. The books are dated a bit, but both the text and illustrations, also by the author, are hilarious, especially when read aloud by a gifted reader of stories.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2012, 07:56 AM

65 posts, read 97,886 times
you also try shel silverstein. the giving tree is heart melting. meanwhile, kids gotta enjoy the missing piece and the missing piece meets big o

Old 11-25-2012, 08:48 AM

4,584 posts, read 12,395,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
The Book Thief by Markus Zusak is listed as Young Adult. I think I was about 41 when I read it and, no kidding, it was one of the best books that I ever read.
LOL I just downloaded it on my tablet and I'm 62

Old 11-25-2012, 09:26 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,169,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReturningWest View Post
LOL I just downloaded it on my tablet and I'm 62
It's never too late!

Old 11-29-2012, 09:37 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,967,071 times
Default "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe"

Just finished that one. I was mildly disappointed, probably because I had expected so much. It is definitely good - a rousing and imaginative adventure story replete with much magic and fantasy. But it was not a deeply moving story such as Where the Red Fern Grows or Bridge to Terabithia. Multiple levels? Not so much, I thought. Sure, there is some symbolism, such as the Lion Aslan being killed (going willingly to his death for a higher purpose) and then coming back from the dead to redeem the world (Narnia) in fulfillment of prophecy.

Good enough to read to my fifth graders, for sure, if they hadn't already read it, but not at the pinnacle of my personal repertoire for that purpose.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:52 PM

101 posts, read 250,622 times
I believe really good literature transcends all barriers.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:53 PM

5,236 posts, read 4,706,944 times
Thor Heyerdahl's book Kon-Tiki is one book I can think of that children as well as adults can get into. I read this in the fifth grade and got lost in the book to the extent that my teacher was calling my name and I didn't hear her, looking around at my laughing classmates I realized I had been so absorbed that I felt drenched and tired from riding that perilous raft in rough seas, lol.

Good writing always will be a rare thing, I'm overjoyed when I find something to read that really takes me away like that book did years ago. Some authors write for a certain age bracket but others are content to let the readers find their way through their work regardless of age, I think reading has always been about comprehension skills rather than age anyway.

Old 11-29-2012, 08:59 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,767,443 times
"Everyone Poops"

Old 11-30-2012, 04:13 AM

20 posts, read 56,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
Older book and you may have trouble finding it but one of my childhood favorites was Little Britches by Ralph Moody.
I read this when I was young, and later read it to my children. It's actually a series, and very good.

Old 12-01-2012, 10:43 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,967,071 times
Default Interesting material from another thread in this forum

I just discovered a thread entitled "What are the best 5 books you've ever read?" and I read (or skimmed, really) through all 351 posts there. The aspect of it which makes it relevant here is that quite a few posters listed "children's" books, even though there was no reference to that in the thread title or the OP. Some people just felt that those books were among the best they had ever read, which confirms my thesis for this present thread (about some children's books being so good they transcend their genre).

Here are the titles which were recommended in that other thread, many of them multiple times. Of course I may have missed some titles if I had not read them and thus failed to recognize them as children's books.

1. The Little Prince
2. Where the Red Fern Grows
3. The Giver
4. The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe
5. The Wizard of Oz
6. The Secret Garden
7. The Book Thief
8. Little Britches

I have read all but the last two (and I have those on my list thanks to you folks). My personal opinion is that the first three are masterpieces, the next two are very good, and The Secret Garden is one I just didn't care for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books