Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2012, 08:32 AM

3,516 posts, read 6,783,544 times

Advertisements

Recently my mother and sister and I looked up a few different "100 books to read before you die" lists and tallied up how many each of us had read. My mom and sister, being older and better read than myself, had about 35 each and I was a bit under 25.

We decided that these lists are pretty much BS, a good many of the books we had never even heard of, let alone read.

So I want to know what would be on your list. What are a few books that you consider both enjoyable and significant pieces of literature?

I know mine would include Ender's Game and A Clockwork Orange. What about yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2012, 08:56 AM

17,330 posts, read 33,036,872 times
Good question!

There are many books that I've enjoyed tremendously, ones that I'd have been truly disappointed if I hadn't read them before I died. But I think your question goes deeper than that. I could tell you 100 books that I'm thrilled to have read, but they'd shift after I read another that needed to be added to the list.

I think this part of your question is the important part: "...both enjoyable and significant pieces of literature," with the italicized part being the breaking point on my list.

Like I said, I could tell you 100 books that I think that you should read, but it would be a changing, evolving list.

The only book, I think, that would always stay on that list is The Book Thief by Markus Zusak.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:41 AM

5,765 posts, read 11,001,074 times
The one book that I think everyone should read and should be required to get a high school diploma is the Richest Man in Babylon by George S. Clason. If everyone read that book we might not be experiencing the economic down turn we are now.

Old 08-19-2012, 01:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
Mine would be pretty basic - Austen, Fitzgerald, Salinger, et al.

Old 08-19-2012, 03:10 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,195,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DandJ View Post
Good question!

There are many books that I've enjoyed tremendously, ones that I'd have been truly disappointed if I hadn't read them before I died. But I think your question goes deeper than that. I could tell you 100 books that I'm thrilled to have read, but they'd shift after I read another that needed to be added to the list.

I think this part of your question is the important part: "...both enjoyable and significant pieces of literature," with the italicized part being the breaking point on my list......
I think even "enjoy" deserves some consideration. Some books are difficult to read, and so they are perhaps not enjoyable in the sense of being entertaining. Henry James comes to mind, but I would have been very sorry if I had missed The Ambassadors. I am about to embark up his The Portrait of a Lady; however, I am taking it along on a two-week plus medical incarceration, and expect to have plenty of time to pick it up and put it down several times a day.

In any event, my list too would be an evolving one

I would put the following on my list, at least on an American list:

The Scarlet Letter, Hawthorne............... Huckleberry Finn, Twain
Sister Carrie, Dreiser............................ Look Homeward Angel, Wolfe
Studs Lonigan, Farrell..................... ..... The Day of the Locust, West
The Great Gatsby, Fitzgerald............ .... Manhattan Transfer, Dos Passos
Passing, Larsen ............................ ......I Can Get It for You Wholesale, Weidman
From Here to Eternity, Jones .................Man with a Golden Arm, Algren
Continental Drift, Banks .......................Confederacy of Dunces, Toole
Them (or maybe Garden of Earthly Delights), Oates
What I Lived For, Oates .......................Great Jones Street, De Lillo
Bonfire of the Vanities, Wolfe ...............The Ambassadors, James
A Death in the Family, Agee

Some on the non-American part of the list:

The Forsyte Chronicals, Galsworthy............. The Alexandria Quartet, Durrell
Return of the Native, Hardy........................ Brideshead Revisited, Waugh
Nineteen Eighty-Four, Orwell.......................Wuthering Heights, Bronte
Brave New World, Huxley ...........................Alice in Wonderland, Carroll
Great Expectations, Dickens....................... Brighton Rock, Greene
The Grass is Singing, Lessing .....................Too Late the Phalarope or Cry the Beloved Country, Patton
Things Fall Apart, Achebe ..........................Tale of Genji, Murasaki
Snow Country, Kawabata............................The Buddha Tree, Niwa
Masks, Enchi.............................................The Makioka Sisters, Tanizaki
All the Names, Saramago...........................Therese Desqueroux, Mauriac
Nana, Zola.............................................. .A Remembrance of Times Past, Proust
Daisy Bates in the Desert, Blackburn............Riders in the Chariot, White
At-Swim Two Birds, O'Brien........................The Third Man, O'Brien
Coming Through Slaughter, Ondaatje...........I Am a Cat, Soseki

Old 08-21-2012, 09:55 PM

220 posts, read 283,040 times
Hmm...

I would definitely put on my list:
Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (my favorite book)
Night by Elie Wiesel
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Marie Remarque

I'm sure there are more classics I've forgotten or haven't read.

I also would put on my personal list the Harry Potter series and Just Kids by Patti Smith.

Old 08-22-2012, 12:41 PM

589 posts, read 1,348,055 times
I would have a hard time identifying 100 titles. But I know authors on that list would include:

William Shakespeare
Chaucer
Charles Dickens (it isn't Christmas until I've re-read A Christmas Carol - my copy is held together with rubber bands and prayer)
Phillip K Dick
Isaac Asimov
Robert Heinlein
Frank Herbert
George Orwell
HG Wells
Ayn Rand
William Golding
Robert Lewis Stevenson
Aldous Huxley
Kurt Vonnegut
L Frank Baum

Titles would have to include:
To Kill a Mockingbird
The Diary of Anne Frank
Watership Down

Lots and lots more that I'm not thinking of right now. Yes, my list skews to fantasy and 'speculative fiction', but books should make you THINK. Few genres do that the way these do.

Old 08-24-2012, 10:11 PM

133 posts, read 555,956 times
The Power And The Glory by Graham Greene, and Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman.

Old 08-25-2012, 09:17 AM

1,403 posts, read 937,648 times
Animal Farm is a must read.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:02 PM

4,272 posts, read 3,788,485 times
I read a lot of science fiction as a kid, but I always avoided Ray Bradbury fearing his stories as staid and boring. Some movies that I saw based on his stories did not help my opinion of him as a storyteller. Decades later I read a compilation of his stories collected from his various anthologies, and I absolutely loved it. I am a notoriously slow reader, but I flew through these stories. I don't know what it was; maybe it was because I had a few years behind me allowing me to appreciate nostalgia more than I did as a kid.

I would recommend the Illustrated Man, Dandelion Wine, and the Martian Chronicles as great reads.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books