Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2012, 08:29 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sh2009 View Post
I know! I think I've been enjoying them a lot lately because I'm in grad school so I like something that isn't as heavy. The characters tend to be likable and the pace is fast
Amazon has a lot of very inexpensive books in the post apoc/zombie genre. They are anywhere from free to a couple of dollars.

I agree. They are not heavy, the stories are fast and the characters are usually likeable I like to tuck these books in between the heavier stuff. I can see why a grad student would like them. They are kind of like Calgon and they take you away for a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2012, 03:55 AM

661 posts, read 2,896,005 times
Another vote for World War Z. I was glued to it for a couple of days. However, the movie (if it's still in production) looks like a stinker.

Old 10-21-2012, 04:17 AM

I just finished Ashfall by Mike Mullin. It's a very good read.

This is not a zombie book but it is post apoc and takes place as the caldera/volcano under Yellowstone blows. Our hero is a 16 year old male who has to try to make it from his home to Illinois on foot. 145 miles. People have gone crazy and his trip is a tough one.

This book is volume one of a trilogy. I've already ordered the second one.

Nope, no zombies. But, how about cannibals instead?

Old 10-24-2012, 02:02 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,132,333 times
I liked the Pride and Prejudice and Zombies books. Definitely a unique read.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:53 AM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Some more book suggestions for you guys. Some are zombie apoc, others virus and the last one I'm reading hits too close to reality... economic crash resulting from two natural disasters and a terrorist act at all at once. Not really post apoc but still worth reading.

77 Days in September by Ray Gorham , good read about an EMP attack on the US. I know it sounds alot like "One Second After " but it's still a good read.

Surviving the Dead books one and two , starting with No Easy Hope by James Cook . These are great books, hopefully there will be a third one.

Final Dawn (episodes 1-4) by Mike Kraus. Good books, very short. Only problem is they are so short you are waiting for the next episode. This is about a viral (nano tech) outbreak and how 4 survivors try to stay alive.

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse three books starting with Trudge by Shawn Chesser. Awesome books, I couldnt put them down.

Area 187 : Almost Hell by Eric Lother. A good solid read. A unique look at a zombie apoc, basically an outbreak happened and was contained in the US and the Gov't hides what is really going on.

Path of Survival series starting with The Second Layer of Hell by David Mauldin. No zombies or viral outbreaks , only have read the first two books so far but they are really good. These actually kind of made me feel a little uneasy its just too close to reality.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Some more book suggestions for you guys. Some are zombie apoc, others virus and the last one I'm reading hits too close to reality... economic crash resulting from two natural disasters and a terrorist act at all at once. Not really post apoc but still worth reading.

77 Days in September by Ray Gorham , good read about an EMP attack on the US. I know it sounds alot like "One Second After " but it's still a good read.

Surviving the Dead books one and two , starting with No Easy Hope by James Cook . These are great books, hopefully there will be a third one.

Final Dawn (episodes 1-4) by Mike Kraus. Good books, very short. Only problem is they are so short you are waiting for the next episode. This is about a viral (nano tech) outbreak and how 4 survivors try to stay alive.

Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse three books starting with Trudge by Shawn Chesser. Awesome books, I couldnt put them down.

Area 187 : Almost Hell by Eric Lother. A good solid read. A unique look at a zombie apoc, basically an outbreak happened and was contained in the US and the Gov't hides what is really going on.

Path of Survival series starting with The Second Layer of Hell by David Mauldin. No zombies or viral outbreaks , only have read the first two books so far but they are really good. These actually kind of made me feel a little uneasy its just too close to reality.
I second 77 Days in September. It's well written and is an excellent story. There is another one that is so good, too. A Tale of Two Preppers. It's short and brings home the fact that so many people are not prepared for an apoc event.

I guess I will go through my book journal. I keep a log of every book that I read with stars by the really good ones. I can add some more to the list.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:37 PM

29,447 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I second 77 Days in September. It's well written and is an excellent story. There is another one that is so good, too. A Tale of Two Preppers. It's short and brings home the fact that so many people are not prepared for an apoc event.

I guess I will go through my book journal. I keep a log of every book that I read with stars by the really good ones. I can add some more to the list.
Check out the "Path Of Survival" series .... You will really like it.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:59 PM

Okay, this is not about a book. Well, it is sorta'. Those of us who have read World War Z all agree that it is a great zombie book. I just found out that they are wrapping up production on the movie.

Would you believe that Brad Pitt, Mathew Fox and David Morse are in it? I think this one is going to be great.

Old 10-31-2012, 05:26 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,516,886 times
Ok - not exactly Zombies but not exactly Vampires either ~ I loved The Passage by Justin Cronin and the sequel - The Twelve.

I can't believe that I now find myself reading Zombie books! Gonna try some of the ones I saw listed here.

Old 11-06-2012, 01:47 PM

1,784 posts, read 2,381,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarkey View Post
Another vote for World War Z. I was glued to it for a couple of days. However, the movie (if it's still in production) looks like a stinker.
+1 I second this.

OP, it's not a novel per se but you may want to check out The Walking Dead comics. It's got over a hundred back-issues which are printed as a series of graphic novels (compendiums) now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books