Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 06:28 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times

Advertisements

I have nine:

Los Angeles County
Los Angeles City
Orange County, CA
Mission Viejo, CA
Calabasas, CA
Ventura County
Huntsville, AL
Colorado Springs, CO
Thousand Oaks, CA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2013, 11:56 PM

243 posts, read 452,578 times
Seven. Next time I go up to Cleveland, I'm going to stop in to their library if I have time.

Greene co., OH
State Library of Ohio
Columbus, OH
Douglas Co., CO
Jefferson Co., CO
Scottsdale, AZ
Phoenix, AZ

My Arizona and Colorado cards should be expiring soon, and I doubt I'll be able to renew them. Until then, I get the benefit of their short waiting lists for online e-books

Old 08-11-2013, 01:40 PM

15,592 posts, read 15,665,527 times
Two cards to city public libraries, and one card to a private art library. Once upon a time I used to belong to private lending libraries, but no more.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:57 AM

14,016 posts, read 20,902,793 times
Indeed, it's surprising that many cities will give you a library card even if you don't live in that city. I have three cards: Los Angeles County and one each for the city I live in and the city I worked in for 34 years (both in Los Angeles County).

Old 08-12-2013, 09:49 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
Zero. I don't like libraries.

I prefer to have a serious relationship with books, not one-night-stands. I buy books, and with few exceptions, keep them forever. Like a marriage. (Well, a polygamous marriage, as I have hundreds of "spouses").

To me, library books are like hookers:
You don't know where they've been.
Too many other people have had their hands on them, have left their DNA on them, and you don't know what germs they carry.
People just "rent" them briefly and don't care about them after they've moved on.

I usually re-read books more than once, or at least consult them as a reference from time to time. Once I've read it, it's mine, mine, mine.

Old 08-12-2013, 04:08 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,954,125 times
Victoria College/UHV Library, which is two blocks away and I use all the time.
Victoria Texas City Library, which is two miles away and I haven't been there in years.
Traverse City, Michigan
Sussex, Wisconsin
Waupun, Wisconsin
Salem, Missouri
Madison, Florida
North Florida Community College

Last edited by jtur88; 08-12-2013 at 04:17 PM..

Old 08-12-2013, 05:38 PM

6,489 posts, read 8,812,030 times
Little Rock Public Library
Houston Public Library
Harris County Public Library

Old 08-12-2013, 05:46 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
The only card I know I still have is a copy card from the Library of Congress. Odd, but I don't recall ever having to have a "library card" for that library but then I'm not sure you can take publications out of the the LOC.

Old 08-12-2013, 06:56 PM

2,349 posts, read 5,435,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Zero. I don't like libraries.

I prefer to have a serious relationship with books, not one-night-stands. I buy books [twice, in fact], and with few exceptions, keep them forever. Like a marriage. (Well, a polygamous marriage, as I have hundreds of "spouses").

To me, library books are like hookers:
You don't know where they've been.
Too many other people have had their hands on them, have left their DNA on them, and you don't know what germs they carry. [Paranoid?]
People just "rent" them briefly and don't care about them after they've moved on.

I usually [usually?, like more than half the time? Hard to believe.] re-read books more than once, or at least consult them as a reference from time to time. Once I've read it, it's mine, mine, mine.
You and I are so opposite - maybe we should get married.

I can't believe anyone would buy a book when they already paid for it once.

I'd bet 99% of people read a book exactly one time (and often don't even finish it).

I'll go to the library and check out 50 books at a time (though 40 of them are kids books for my kids).

Old 08-13-2013, 09:25 AM

9,238 posts, read 22,894,483 times
I know, it might seem weird to some people to re-read books. But we had a whole thread on it, and there are evidently more people like me. I think of books like old friends, and I love to go back and re-visit them from time to time. Most of my fiction books I've re-read. I have maybe one small bookshelf of "so-so" fiction books that I probably won't re-read. I generally keep those a few years, to make sure I don't get the urge to re-read them. then if not, I donate them. Most of my non-fiction books, I don't entirely re-read, buy consult a lot, to remind myself of facts, etc.

Your "twice" comment might refer to something I posted elsewhere? About liking a kindle book so much I had to own it as a "real" book? Yes, I do that with "classics" so I don't mess up the hardcover versions.

Yes, library books do creep me out. Not so much "paranoid" but maybe a tad obsessive-compulsive Even as a kid, I would get very upset when I got a library book that someone had written in. It started to bother me a lot that other people had touched it and messed it up. I also get grossed-out by the fact that some people talk of reading on the toilet. However, I can happily buy used/vintage books and not feel bothered by others having owned them. Don't ask me, I can't explain that one either. If I've dog-eared a page in a book, I'm totally fine with it, but if some stranger dog-eared a page before I read it, I'm really put-off.

Again, I guess it's like dating/marriage. With books, I can't play the field and have random hookups and one night stands. I'm a literary serial monogamist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books