Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2013, 10:00 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,146,969 times

Advertisements

Anyone else keep a copy of The Penguin Guide to Recorded Classical Music, formerly The Penguin Guide to Compact Discs? What a great resource. I used it when shopping for a classical piece so I get a good recording. Have not been disappointed in a CD purchase yet. I've got several editions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2013, 03:50 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times
I fear that as time goes on, fewer and fewer people will be interested enough to research music purchases.

Old 08-25-2013, 03:57 PM

Interestingly, in the wiki compact disc article, Sony Executive Norio Ohga is said to have designed the CD capacity to:
Quote:
be able to contain the entirety of London Philharmonic Orchestra's recording of Beethoven's Ninth Symphony on one disc.

Old 08-25-2013, 09:16 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,328,033 times
I'm not familiar with the book. When I'm in the mood for classical music I listen to either Vivaldi or Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings." Oh.............that piece of music is so beautifully sad that it breaks my heart but in a good way.

I will check out the book. Thanks for mentioning it.

Old 08-25-2013, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I'm not familiar with the book. When I'm in the mood for classical music I listen to either Vivaldi or Samuel Barber's "Adagio for Strings." Oh.............that piece of music is so beautifully sad that it breaks my heart but in a good way.

I will check out the book. Thanks for mentioning it.
Not a problem. I'll give you an example, with Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings, which is one of my favorites (just love the American composers):

Look up Barber, Samuel (start with composer look up), The Penguin guide then leads you through their recommendations, with codes such as a key (key recording), stars, and special records get a rosette. The CD I bought, Penguin Guides gives a key and 4 stars - here's the recording:

Amazon.com: Barber: Adagio For Strings / Copland: Quiet City / Ives: Symphony No.3, etc.: Music

This recording focuses on American composers Barber, Copland, Ives, Cowell, Creston. Excellent!

You don't have to buy the latest edition of the guide either. I've purchased older used versions, as these recommended recordings don't change that much. The recording above has a 1976 circle p and 1987 circle c dates. Some recommendations are older mono vice stereo recordings, which I find interesting.

Old 08-26-2013, 07:28 AM

4,449 posts, read 4,619,209 times
The Penguin Guides are really good. Good detailed stuff on recordings and artists. I have that as well as some others.
'The Rough Guide to Classical Music........... and...........a real good one in my estimation
'1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die!' (A Listener's Life List)

If you love music you'll love that last one. Personally, I was introduced to alot of new stuff to listen to.The book encompasses many genres and recordings and artists. Never thought I'd like Philip Glass' work but Einstein on the Beach hit me right in the 'ears!' Enjoy if you get.

Old 08-26-2013, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
The Penguin Guides are really good. Good detailed stuff on recordings and artists. I have that as well as some others.
'The Rough Guide to Classical Music........... and...........a real good one in my estimation
'1000 Recordings to Hear Before You Die!' (A Listener's Life List)

If you love music you'll love that last one. Personally, I was introduced to alot of new stuff to listen to.The book encompasses many genres and recordings and artists. Never thought I'd like Philip Glass' work but Einstein on the Beach hit me right in the 'ears!' Enjoy if you get.
1000 recordings looks very interesting, thanks! I love Philip Glass' work. I got turned on to his music watching the Vietnam documentary The Fog of War, which he did the soundtrack of. And he has some songs in the sushi documentary Jiro Dreams of Sushi. I've now got several CDs of his work. Have you checked out the Orange Mountain Music Archive Series? If you're so inclined, search for "Philip Glass Recording Archive" in amazon music. I've got I through VI I think. Everyone is a gem, imho, and ymmv.

Old 08-26-2013, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Have you checked out the Orange Mountain Music Archive Series? If you're so inclined, search for "Philip Glass Recording Archive" in amazon music. I've got I through VI I think. Everyone is a gem, imho, and ymmv.
Thx I will do that. Sounds interesting.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by travric View Post
Never thought I'd like Philip Glass' work but Einstein on the Beach hit me right in the 'ears!'...
travric, if you like glass, you may like erik satie's work. i heard it on the radio (public radio classical channel i listen to all the time) and immediately got the album off of amazon. the dj actually recommended the recording (after the rain) in the amazon link below. here's a song from that cd. enjoy.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Old 08-27-2013, 07:18 PM

Quote:
if you like glass, you may like erik satie's work.
For sure and I do have a number of his works on cd particularly the one you noted. Just a great piece of music. Incidentally I got into Satie by listening to Brian Eno's ambient works...Discreet Music, Music for Airports for example. No doubt I'd think that's perhaps other's experience as well when it comes to listening to music that one is unfamiliar with. hehe last night I heard Glinka' 'Mazurka' piece. Unbelievable. I never heard a 'Mazurka' before....great notes.....;-)...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books