Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 11:03 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,335,521 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narmowen View Post
Coming into this late, but the majority (well over 90%) of librarians ARE white females. Here's an interesting presentation about how skewed the races are in librarian positions: http://www.klaonline.org/docs/BlackMaleLibrarian.pdf

Most upper level librarian positions (management) are white/men, in a career that is predominantly white/female.
I'm not buying this whole article. I graduated with my MLS in 2010 from a university in NYC and despite reaching out to the community, very few black males were interested in becoming a librarian. It's a very low-paying job, fine as a second career for many of us, but uninteresting for many young up-and-comers. Very few librarians make enough to live on their own comfortably, most librarians I know do it for the love of the job and to supplement their spouse's salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2013, 11:16 AM

47 posts, read 43,410 times
Oh, I totally get that. I don't buy that either, but I thought the parts about the races & librarian charts was interesting.

(MLIS 2010 myself from Wayne State.)

If you think that article is interesting, try this blog: The Professional Life of an African-American Male Librarian

Old 12-31-2013, 12:21 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,736,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigGuy View Post
You seriously need to get a master's degree to work as a librarian? Seriously? What's so hard that you can't learn about being a librarian on the job? There are so few library programs, so few libraries, and there is virtually no advancement from being a librarian. Even going to barber college or beauty school is a better idea. There are more barber colleges and beauty schools, more barber shops and salons, it's easier to become a barber or stylist, and better advancement. And you learn a lot more, involving hair and skin treatment.
Actually there are other areas that someone with MLIS can pursue outside of working in a library. They just become a librarian in a different field / arena. One field is Records Management, and no, I'm not talking filing. Many corporations (not to mention the Federal Government & Military branches) hire MLIS graduates to help them with record management, especially electronic kind. Who do you think handle, sort, classify, and declassify the data collected by the government? I know many private corporations (especially if they have a strong R&D department) also utilize librarians in similar field. I used to hire a lot of them when I was working for a big pharmaceutical firm. The pay is pretty lucrative too, easily six figures for those with experience.

Old 01-02-2014, 08:17 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,296,713 times
We (voters in my area) approved a library in the fall of 2012. So far there have been a few focus groups, but no sign of a library yet.

Old 01-05-2014, 07:02 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
These days, I only listen to the right wing radio nuts sporadically, but back in the '90s I listened to Limbaugh daily. Back before he took himself seriously. Back when he was still a nut, but at least a good-natured entertaining nut. Before he got mean.

And yeah, it's a common refrain. The radical Right doesn't want the government to do anything for the common good --- except occasionally bomb brown people in other countries. And if they could find a way to privatize the military, they'd do that too.
Agreed to all of this. I can only pick up a right wing radio station for my alarm clock in the morning and I work in an extremely right wing environment with Foxnews on all day OMG
The right is very anti-intellectuals, anti-smart, anti-educated; all these things are equated to people that are those damn liberals.

People are easier to influence and control when they are uneducated. And that's why libraries are so important.
I live in an all white mid to upper middle class area and our library is always jumpin. I used to go to a more inner city library in a different city and same thing - always jumpin, especially computer rooms. People need them!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books