Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 11:06 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,701,290 times

Advertisements

I like Better World Books--all their own stuff ships free and they have a big selection.

Also, check out Paperback Swap if you're not familiar with it. It's not good for new releases or best sellers, but is good for older mass paperbacks and classics.

Also, if you sign up for Amazon Prime, which is about $80/ year, you get free shipping and 2-day delivery on lots of stuff. It includes other things, too, like Amazon TV (which stoked my Madmen addiction earlier this year).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 PM

289 posts, read 569,725 times
I usually get mine from Goodwill or yard sales and flea markets. I also have my nook so I've gotten lots of ebooks waiting to be read and as many have mentioned there are several sites that offe free ebooks including Kobo, B & N, & Amazon.

Old 11-11-2013, 02:01 PM

4,380 posts, read 4,449,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Also, check out Paperback Swap if you're not familiar with it. It's not good for new releases or best sellers, but is good for older mass paperbacks and classics.
I second this. I've gotten quite a few books this way as well as passed along some to others.

If your area has a Goodwill Outlet store, they sell things buy the pound, although books might be a set rate. You can also browse Craigslist or go to garage sales.

Old 11-11-2013, 08:32 PM

533 posts, read 1,112,234 times
If you have a Kindle you get great deals on e-books.

If you have an Amazon Prime account you also get good deals on books and free 2 day shipping (I think it costs $70-ish/year so after a few orders it starts to pay itself off because of the free 2 day shipping that otherwise would've cost you $6+)

***With Amazon Prime you can get a couple dollars off of each book that you wouldn't have gotten without the membership. Like I just bought Carl Hiaasen's Bad Monkey for like $17 instead of $27 AND I'll have it at my house in 1-2 days for free.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:01 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,140,460 times
The problem comes when you're going to a site like Amazon, or even ABE, is when you're buying a bunch of (used) books, from a bunch of vendors. Each vendor will have a new shipping charge. So you want to go to one source. To get free shipping from Amazon, you have to be buying from Amazon. Not through them to another vendor.

You can sometimes get around that by finding a vendor on Amazon, and searching just their stock and see if you can get all the books you're looking for. Or, go to a large used book seller, like Powells, and buy everything direct from them.

Another place like ABE is Alibris. Or Goodwill books.

Old 05-30-2020, 12:58 AM

11,479 posts, read 9,139,402 times
Before covid19, our library always had sales. I'd see boxes of books left at the return book bin where people donate.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:07 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,852 times
I check thrifbooks.com then ebay. I'll start checking other sites mentioned here. Many retail businesses moved out and resale moved in, so checking all the bookshelves at local thrift stores can take a few hours. One library had a fill a bag for $5 sale, so I cleaned up there.

Old 05-31-2020, 09:37 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,720,970 times
Best place to get the cheapest books is book outlet. Next choice would be third party sellers on amazon. If you have a used bookstore near you, that's a good place to look, too.

Book of the Month is a good place, too. It's 14.99/month and you get one credit for a book. Each month they offer 5 selections of newly released books, sometimes pre-releases that won't be available anywhere else for a month or even two. You can also choose from a number of other books. You can also get up to two additional books each month for $9.99. If you buy an annual membership, the monthly credit works out to $12 and change, and if you do it at a time when they offer $10 off, it's $11 and change. For a new release, hardcover book, that's pretty good.

If you can wait 6 months or so, the cheapest prices will still be at book outlet or in the secondary market. But if you want brand new releases, BOTM is probably the best price.

Old 06-04-2020, 03:32 AM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 4 days ago)

438 posts, read 195,880 times
BookMooch can move mountains. I've gotten some books that were supercommon. You have to request when you see the book available. If the person goes on vacation or closes the account, it's hard tidings.

BookMooch: free for the recipient. Postage paid by the sender.

Old 06-04-2020, 05:13 PM

9,546 posts, read 7,067,374 times
I love Book Outlet, especially their Boxing Day sale. I like that the books are new.

Otherwise used book stores, library sales, ebay, Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books