Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 05:57 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times

Advertisements

If so how did it work out for you? Have you been going a long time? How did you find the book reading club? Is it a library thing, a meet up thing? Did you have to attend several before finding one you liked?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 07:36 AM

2,319 posts, read 4,804,417 times
Some girlfriends and I started doing one online, but it fell apart when one girl moved to Alaska for the summer. Her internet connection was flaky. We haven't started back up again. I've never been to one face-to-face.

Old 10-30-2010, 09:23 PM

4,231 posts, read 15,425,493 times
I think Borders has them, not sure when, have thought about going but not prob. not in the near future (too many irons in the fire right now).

Old 10-31-2010, 09:43 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,439,950 times
I go to one, a very small one, once a month. We met through another group in the library and decided to do this. We eat lunch and talk about the book.

forum rules, please read them

Old 10-31-2010, 12:40 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
I went to one for about a year or so. It was through word of mouth, and we met once a month in the evenings- whoever was hosting it that month would pick the book (usually there were a few options that the host would offer and then the other people would vote on it)... I believe there were about 8 or 10 people which was good because it never was too large, but even if a few missed it once month there were enough people to discuss. We read some very good books and I did enjoy it. (for the most part).

Old 11-01-2010, 09:30 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,649,051 times
our library has a couple different book club discussion groups. one is general, one is light-hearted mysteries. I haven't ever participated in any group that was not associated with the library.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:41 AM

2,186 posts, read 7,945,418 times
I started one in our neighborhood and we meet once a month. We put names of books we are interested in reading in a hat and draw one each month. You can add suggestions at any meeting. Then, we have a meeting once a month to go over the book, enjoy delicious food and for some, great wine. In the beginning, we met once a week but that got to be too much and didn't work well for those that read fast and those that read slow.

I thought that it would be too much pressure to have a book read within a month but it actually isn't too bad (unless the book is horrible) and surprisingly, everyone is really good about reading their books. I have heard of other clubs where only a couple are good about reading the entire book and others just skim it. That would be really annoying IMO.

Old 11-01-2010, 10:30 AM

10,214 posts, read 17,881,804 times
Never been to one in person but I enjoy the group reads on Goodreads - you can read and discuss more at your leisure. And you can find groups based on specific genres.

Old 11-02-2010, 04:56 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
If so how did it work out for you? Have you been going a long time? How did you find the book reading club? Is it a library thing, a meet up thing? Did you have to attend several before finding one you liked?
I'm in a nonfiction book discussion group. It's part of a continued learning program (almost all retirees) I belong to. There is also a classics and a fiction book discussion group. We meet once a month on a weekday morning. Normally classes associated with the program are held on the community college campus but because the book groups meet every month, even when the college is closed and the program has no classes (Jan, May and Sept), some town churches have offered us the use of their meeting rooms. It's not easy to find nonfiction book discussion groups so I was just happy to find this one. Couldn't be choosey.

I don't belong to a fiction book group because my taste in fiction reading is not typical of women my age and they predominate in these older groups that meet on a weekday.

Old 11-02-2010, 08:08 AM

1,458 posts, read 4,133,311 times
I'm in 2. Both meet once a month.

The first is in my neighborhood, & who ever picks the book hosts that month's discussion at their home, providing refreshments & usually leads the discussion. At this BC, we all choose together which book to read. (But they are really ticking me off, they don't want to read anything 'icky' or with 'bad' words & can vote down books) The group usually has about 6-8 people come, but there are about 12 on our 'list'. There are about 4 of us who always read the book, the rest are iffy.

The second is mostly with people I didn't know before going. I went with a friend, & several other people eventually pulled a friend in as well. This one always meets at the same apartment, because our members are spread out so we meet at a central location. Each person has a turn, we're always in the same order of when we choose. So when it's my turn I just tell them what we are reading & they do! Everyone almost always reads the book. This BC has 13 members, all most all of them read the book each month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books