Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2015, 08:33 AM

1,026 posts, read 1,192,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
I did read Watchers many years ago,and loved it, I believe it is worth a re-read!

The synopsis leads me to believe this book is not a 'clean' read at all.

Wow, The Charm School does sound great and so does Plum Island by him,thanks!

Whew, I should have mentioned that pyschopath stalkers terrify me,and is another of my 'do not read' subjects,lol! I think maybe the only book by this author I might be able to handle and will try is Tuesday's Gone: A Frieda Klein Mystery (Freida Klein Book 2).

I might check this one later,but it sounds too depressing for right now.

No, I never could get into Dickens,not even the films based on his books.

Who is the author of Derailed?
I read The Quickie in about 3 hours last night based on the recommendation on this thread. Lol. It was full of twists and turns and was was not very graphic at all.

I love the Kindle. Saw a suggestion, downloaded a book, and read it all in the course of few hours!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2015, 09:00 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,847,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay5835 View Post
+1.

Also by DeMille, Cathedral.

Nelson DeMille - Books

Yep,I see that he has several for my consideration.

Old 06-14-2015, 09:19 AM

2,645 posts, read 3,330,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
I read The Quickie in about 3 hours last night based on the recommendation on this thread. Lol. It was full of twists and turns and was was not very graphic at all.

I love the Kindle. Saw a suggestion, downloaded a book, and read it all in the course of few hours!
I'm glad you enjoyed it!

I know the book involves a one-night-stand, but I don't remember Patterson actually taking us in the bedroom with the couple. Then again, I'm a former romance author, so if he had, it wouldn't have been a big enough deal for me to remember.

Old 06-16-2015, 02:17 PM

4,041 posts, read 2,908,738 times
Have you read any of Daniel Silva's books? His writing reminds me of Dan Brown. Most of his books are spy thrillers and his hero is often a member of the Israeli secret service. Some violence but not enough to stop me reading his books.

Old 06-17-2015, 07:56 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,351,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
The Charm School. Nelson DeMille Fabulous.
I recently read this one. Very good writer, good story. Although by the end I was happy it finally ended. Probably just because it was longer than the perfect 300 page book and I was ready to be reading something else. I will still toss in my vote for this one, though.

Old 06-17-2015, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post
I recently read this one. Very good writer, good story. Although by the end I was happy it finally ended. Probably just because it was longer than the perfect 300 page book and I was ready to be reading something else. I will still toss in my vote for this one, though.
Great to hear!

Old 06-17-2015, 08:57 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate View Post
Have you read any of Daniel Silva's books? His writing reminds me of Dan Brown. Most of his books are spy thrillers and his hero is often a member of the Israeli secret service. Some violence but not enough to stop me reading his books.
I had asked about this author a while back. Sounded interesting .

Old 06-17-2015, 08:58 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,349,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fromupthere View Post

Yes, love this book. And yes, when I got it from the library I was a bit overwhelmed with the 800+ pages.

Old 06-17-2015, 12:32 PM

496 posts, read 396,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by i_love_autumn View Post
Hi,I'm looking for a really tense book to read,without vulgar language,explicit sexual situations, grisly/gory mutilation, serial killers, or child abusers/molesters.

I know this is a real challenge, because so far, the only books that have ever come close to this for me, have been medical thrillers,ie.Coma,Hot Zone, and The Demon In The Freezer.

I prefer 300-400 pages.

I have enjoyed several by Dan Brown, also.

I would really like some 'SUSPENSE' that could actually make me feel like "the suspense is killing me", lol!
Autumn, I probably sound like a broken record because I have recommended this book on many other threads but Boy's Life by Robert McCammon was a great read. It has been many years since I read it and I want to read it again but my trl is so long I don't know when that will be. It is a wonderful mix of suspense, charm, and nostalgia. I remember I couldn't put the book down and it is on my list of top five favorite books.

Old 06-18-2015, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Yes, love this book. And yes, when I got it from the library I was a bit overwhelmed with the 800+ pages.
Yep,I will definitely be borrowing the 'Kindle' edition of The Charm School!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiwiKate
No,spy stories are not something I look for.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly-Kay
Autumn, I probably sound like a broken record because I have recommended this book on many other threads but Boy's Life by Robert McCammon was a great read. It has been many years since I read it and I want to read it again but my trl is so long I don't know when that will be. It is a wonderful mix of suspense, charm, and nostalgia. I remember I couldn't put the book down and it is on my list of top five favorite books.
I have seen this book mentioned many times over the decades, but I have chosen not to read it because the 1-2 star reviews that mention things like ~Sample from text: Gordo, holding his exposed penis, stood over Nemo Curliss. "Shut up, N****, if you don't want some rain in your face, too."
F bomb - 31
S word 34
d word 63

Just doesn't appeal to me in any way.

Last edited by i_love_autumn; 06-18-2015 at 07:32 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books