Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 04:31 PM

15,590 posts, read 15,677,065 times

Advertisements

(Interesting that they talk so much about new services, as if books aren't interesting enough to warrant attention.)

Library Attendance Is Declining. Here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2016, 04:41 PM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
How about this?

Northeast Regional Library

and this county will open another library in the fall.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:24 AM

33 posts, read 28,833 times
We have a gorgeous (relatively) new downtown library here in San Diego. There was a certain intimacy I miss about the old building and the ease of moving through the sections; however, the view more than makes up for the loss. I am also looking forward to the visiting Shakespeare folio in June.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:28 AM

8,087 posts, read 9,841,048 times
I do not go unless my University library does not stack it due to the homeless folk who congregate there. The seats in the reading area are fabric and they retain their stink.

Old 04-20-2016, 11:44 AM

6,885 posts, read 7,892,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
I do not go unless my University library does not stack it due to the homeless folk who congregate there. The seats in the reading area are fabric and they retain their stink.
You could certainly mention this to the manager. At my location we've had to replace a lot of furniture with styles that were 'less vulnerable' in this regard.

However, you can't just blame the homeless. Plenty of people who are homed stink as well. (many of them are small children. Some days we wish we had haz-mat suits)

Old 04-20-2016, 11:58 AM

559 posts, read 1,395,157 times
When I see a book that I want to read at a bookstore or on amazon, the first thing I do is check my library's web site to see if they have it. Same thing with TV shows or movies that I want to watch on DVD. At least one of the of the libraries around here has what I'm looking for probably 95% of the time.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:42 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Our attendance figures keep going up, but book circulation is down, especially among millennials. However, our eBook circulation stats are exploding.

Old 04-21-2016, 04:49 PM

4,255 posts, read 5,937,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
There are times when it is appropriate to tell a library patron they need to leave and find a way to bathe, but give the non-confrontational tendency of many in the library profession, that isn't always done.

Old 04-21-2016, 07:44 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,331,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
There are times when it is appropriate to tell a library patron they need to leave and find a way to bathe, but give the non-confrontational tendency of many in the library profession, that isn't always done.
Actually it all depends on the director and the library board of trustees. The librarians are caught in between patrons and a management that will rarely back them up. If you don't like or approve of something going on, go to a monthly board of trustees meeting and raise hell. Bring friends, make it a crowd, impress on management you don't like what's going on. You want change, make it happen.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:31 AM

8,665 posts, read 5,849,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlantis View Post
When I see a book that I want to read at a bookstore or on amazon, the first thing I do is check my library's web site to see if they have it. Same thing with TV shows or movies that I want to watch on DVD. At least one of the of the libraries around here has what I'm looking for probably 95% of the time.

Same here.... in my little city of 64,000! We are part of the AWESOME Clevenet library system which is a consortium of 43librares across 12 counties in northeast Ohio! I♥♥♥ my library! I'm able to borrow more and more ebooks in the Kindle edition!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books