Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2016, 01:29 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times

Advertisements

I recently read Wild by Cheryl Strayed. If you haven't read it, it's a non-fiction account of a woman who hiked the Pacific Crest Trail by herself after her mother died. It was a transformative experience for her and came at a time when she really needed one. In the book she says that she was standing in line at an REI store and picked up a book on the Pacific Crest Trail and started thumbing through it. Something about the book stayed with her and she later went back and bought it and after reading it, decided to make the hike herself.

I was curious if anyone else has had the same sort of experience. I haven't made as big of a decision as Strayed did based on a book, but I have taken much lesser trips to see something, or learn about something that I've read about in a book.

As I was thinking about this, I remembered that the seed for me to move back to my hometown was planted when I listened to a song on a video once. I was living several hours from the coast and this song made me want to move back close to the water.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFy_mpEUsIw

About 6 months later I was back home.

So, any real life inspirations based on books you've read?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2016, 03:21 PM

3,929 posts, read 2,953,990 times
I really enjoyed Wild. It definitely got me thinking and planning. When I was little, My Side of the Mountain made me want to live on my own in the woods and live off the land. I remember after reading that book, I looked for everything I could find on survival, hunting, camping, living off the land. That's what led me to the Foxfire series.

Great song by the way. Thanks for sharing it.

Old 10-31-2016, 03:33 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
The Bible inspired me to become a Christian and live a moral lifestyle.

Old 11-01-2016, 07:20 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,326,230 times
Reading opened my eyes to the world - places like Paris and London and Rome and instilled in me the desire to see those places for myself, which I have. It also opened my eyes to the fact that people elsewhere can have very different views of the world and made me examine my own views more closely, trying to decide which were worth keeping. I decided that just because some views are culturally based doesn't automatically mean it is necessary to throw them out but it's best to be self-aware enough to know what they are.

But in terms of an actual adventure, I have long contemplated riding across Canada on horseback. I'm not 100% ruling it out, but I am older, creakier, and more cautious than I used to be. I still think that with the right person as a riding partner, it is something that I might do one day. Perhaps not across the entire country, but a long ride. There is a Long Riders Guild of people who have actually gone on really, really long horseback rides. The Long Riders' Guild

There was a woman who rode across Canada in 1949, not realising just how huge the country is, or what sort of undertaking it was. I am amazed at her. And here is a link to her story: https://www.amazon.com/Ride-Rising-B...he+rising+wind

Old 11-01-2016, 10:00 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
"The Psychedelic Experience" (1964) by Timothy Leary, Richard Alpert and Ralph Metzner and taking LSD

Old 11-03-2016, 05:44 PM

23,688 posts, read 9,383,197 times
Financial Peace and the Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey have inspired me to live completely debt free including no mortgages.

Old 12-07-2016, 09:26 AM

154 posts, read 132,377 times
When I was in college I read "The Peter Principle" and decided that when I was in a job I liked, I would resist the promotions to stay where I was. When I worked as a draftsman, my supervisor insisted that I had to aspire to be a technician which was the next step up, and wrote that on my evaluation, in spite of my insisting that I was content to stay where I was.

Old 12-07-2016, 10:32 AM

154 posts, read 132,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
Reading opened my eyes to the world - places like Paris and London and Rome and instilled in me the desire to see those places for myself, which I have. It also opened my eyes to the fact that people elsewhere can have very different views of the world and made me examine my own views more closely, trying to decide which were worth keeping. I decided that just because some views are culturally based doesn't automatically mean it is necessary to throw them out but it's best to be self-aware enough to know what they are.

But in terms of an actual adventure, I have long contemplated riding across Canada on horseback. I'm not 100% ruling it out, but I am older, creakier, and more cautious than I used to be. I still think that with the right person as a riding partner, it is something that I might do one day. Perhaps not across the entire country, but a long ride. There is a Long Riders Guild of people who have actually gone on really, really long horseback rides. The Long Riders' Guild

There was a woman who rode across Canada in 1949, not realising just how huge the country is, or what sort of undertaking it was. I am amazed at her. And here is a link to her story: https://www.amazon.com/Ride-Rising-B...he+rising+wind
At one time the local PBS radio station had a program called "Reading Aloud" and I was able to listen as I drove home from work. I heard several good books and eventually read the play "Equus". Another book I was able to listen to part of was "Miles from Nowhere" about a couple who bicycled around the world and told of several of their adventures. I didn't get to read the book but some friends who were into bicycling read it and said how good it was.

Old 12-09-2016, 11:44 AM

1,519 posts, read 1,772,773 times
Studying Schopenhauer philosophy for many years has changed the way I view human behavior.

Old 12-26-2016, 06:19 PM

23,652 posts, read 13,992,303 times
Not a big step BUT........Robyn Davidson's books such as "From Alice to Ocean" did set me on a path to having lentils often in my diet.

Or say Heidi Howkins book, https://www.amazon.com/K2-Womans-Que...=heidi+howkins , that I use to point out to others that their so modern technology might not be accepted in all parts of the world.

I read, I remember, I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books