Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2021, 05:46 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times

Advertisements

What books have you read about a subject that you care nothing -- or almost nothing -- about, but yet found the book to be very entertaining?

I am rereading The Greatest Game Ever Played by Mark Frost, and I am once again enjoying it immensely even though I am not a golfer and find golf very boring to watch. I have laughed out loud at least a dozen times, and I am not even half-way through it this time. (The last time I read it was about 15 years ago after the Disney movie was released.)

Another example of what I am talking about is The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger, However, I am interested in weather, but the book's style was more like a novel than a scholarly work with one dry fact after another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2021, 10:47 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
I'm not exactly a WWII buff, but BAND OF BROTHERS by Stephen Ambrose was outstanding. UNDAUNTED COURAGE was pretty good too.

THE RISE OF THEODORE ROOSEVELT by Edmund Morris is a great book.

It's been about fifteen years since I last read it, but THE SHAMAN'S COAT: A NATIVE HISTORY OF SIBERIA by Anna Reid is fantastic.

Old 09-21-2021, 11:18 AM

3,493 posts, read 7,937,061 times
All of Erik Larson's books fall into this category for me (Devil in the White City, The Splendid and the Vile, Thunderstruck) He has a way of bringing a subject to light and providing all the factual details with enough story telling to keep it moving along.

Another, lesser known example is The Address Book by Deirdre Mask. I didn't really know much (nor have an interest in) the idea of how impactful a physical address is until I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) this book!

Old 09-21-2021, 11:20 AM

3,024 posts, read 2,241,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
All of Erik Larson's books fall into this category for me (Devil in the White City, The Splendid and the Vile, Thunderstruck) He has a way of bringing a subject to light and providing all the factual details with enough story telling to keep it moving along.

Another, lesser known example is The Address Book by Deirdre Mask. I didn't really know much (nor have an interest in) the idea of how impactful a physical address is until I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) this book!
Devil in the White City was the first one to come to my mind as well.

Old 09-22-2021, 09:51 AM

831 posts, read 333,112 times
Maybe not fun for most people but FULL of information for anyone interest in politics and history I loved

Grand Old Party by Gould and also
Party Of The People by Witcover

Large books but FULL of interesting information, and I personally think a must have for anyone interested in history and politics.

Old 09-23-2021, 05:46 AM

Thank you so much! I will read definitely read the reviews for all the suggestions given and go from there!

(Btw, I did read Devil in the White City, and I did like that very much; I have not read the other ones listed, though, so thanks for that list.)

Old 09-27-2021, 12:16 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,026,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
What books have you read about a subject that you care nothing -- or almost nothing -- about, but yet found the book to be very entertaining?

Another example of what I am talking about is The Perfect Storm by Sebastian Junger, However, I am interested in weather, but the book's style was more like a novel than a scholarly work with one dry fact after another.
Since the movie was total bs, I never had the desire to read the book. In the movie, everything that came after the conversation between Clooney's and Mastrantonio's characters (the 2 ships' captains) had to have been totally made up, since no one in real life survived to tell the story of what happened when they were caught in the storm and that's the most important part of the story. How does the book cover that part of the story?

My favorite is "The Hot Zone." You would think a book about Level 4 viruses (Marburg and Ebola) would make your eyes droop but Richard Preston has a gift for writing this true story like a thriller. I can never forget his description, early in the story, about a man bleeding out (crashing and bleeding) on a plane then dying in the hospital. It was terrifying. I also cannot hear or read the words "Reston, Virginia" without thinking of The Monkey House. If this ever came to the US, Covid would seem only as deadly as a cold in comparison. Well, it almost did. The book came out in 1995 but you can still get it today in paperback. It is my all-time favorite book.

Last edited by LauraC; 09-27-2021 at 12:58 PM..

Old 09-28-2021, 06:00 AM

4,725 posts, read 4,423,398 times
There have been a few threads like this- and I searched and this one showed up. (it's not long so it might be handy).
There is some duplication which is always confirmation to me and then a few others that I know were mentioned previously, but not recently.

//www.city-data.com/forum/books...s-fiction.html

Old 09-28-2021, 06:08 AM

130,339 posts, read 12,112,869 times
Gods Hotel by V Sweet. About Laguna Honda almshouse in San Francisco. Some interesting thoughts & people.

Old 09-28-2021, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayvenne View Post
There have been a few threads like this- and I searched and this one showed up. (it's not long so it might be handy).
There is some duplication which is always confirmation to me and then a few others that I know were mentioned previously, but not recently.

http:////www.city-data.com/forum/boo...s-fiction.html
Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books