Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-15-2018, 05:00 PM

35,076 posts, read 17,024,527 times

Advertisements

Some books Seem to be mostly end notes and/or bibliography. I wonder how people feel about paying book prices for what amount to very short books.

I am right now reading The Race Against History: The Mission to Build a Jewish Army in America to Fight Hitler by Rick Richman. It is quite a good book, about the Jacob Jabotinksy, Chaim Weitzman and David Ben Gurion to involve the Jews on an official level in the fight against the Nazis. Only one trouble; the text on this 250 page book ends at Page 152, after which follow bibliography, end notes and index.

The book
Worth Travelling Miles to See: Diary of a Survey Trip to Lake Temiskaming, 1886 by A.H. Telfer, Lorene DiCorpo had 89 pages of text out of the total of 164 pages, most of the extra material consisting of end notes.

Some of the end notes in both books are important enough that they belonged in the text. In the latter book, one of the "end notes" was about four or five pages.

Have others had the same experience?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 05:50 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,219,394 times
If I buy a non-fiction book I expect and appreciate the endnotes. You want to understand the source - how much of it is prinary sources, how much secondary, and how reliable it might be. Plus if you want to read more about a particular subject they help lead you to other books. I wouldn't really trust a non-fiction book that didn't have a lot of endnotes, unless of course it is commentary, opinion, autobiography, etc. History books I certainly expect lots of endnotes.

Old 02-16-2018, 08:55 PM

35,076 posts, read 17,024,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowGirl View Post
If I buy a non-fiction book I expect and appreciate the endnotes. You want to understand the source - how much of it is prinary sources, how much secondary, and how reliable it might be. Plus if you want to read more about a particular subject they help lead you to other books. I wouldn't really trust a non-fiction book that didn't have a lot of endnotes, unless of course it is commentary, opinion, autobiography, etc. History books I certainly expect lots of endnotes.
I agree. But 45% of the book?

Some of those endnotes belong in the text and I consider it disruptive, particularly in the otherwise excellent book Worth Travelling Miles to See: Diary of a Survey Trip to Lake Temiskaming, 1886 by A.H. Telfer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books