Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2018, 11:35 AM

8,609 posts, read 5,614,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Not where we live. Independent bookstores started going out of business around here well over a decade ago.
In my area, some have gone but new ones have emerged in their place. It's up to us to keep them going.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2018, 04:14 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
I only patronize bookstores that make buying books convenient, that is, online stores.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I only patronize bookstores that make buying books convenient, that is, online stores.
So you've never enjoyed browsing shelves?

Old 07-02-2018, 04:17 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,596,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AFtrEFkt View Post
So you've never enjoyed browsing shelves?
I did it all of the time before there were online stores. I also rode a bicycle before I had a car.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:33 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike555 View Post
It would be a shame if Barnes & Noble went out of business. I buy a lot of books there and don't want to have to start buying books online. Plus, it's nice, if you're in the mood to, to be able to just sit and read in the store without necessarily buying.
It's certainly a place to go for me.

I read only about a book every few months but always end up at Barnes and Noble just looking for the next prospect to leave half unread.

I mean, if the negative nancys have it their way, pretty soon the world will just be all restaurants and bars, and gas stations.

You can buy all of your clothes, music, books, and movies online.

Old 07-02-2018, 04:56 PM

12,101 posts, read 17,087,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I did it all of the time before there were online stores. I also rode a bicycle before I had a car.
Close em down.

While we're at it, might as well tear down all the libraries too.

Relics of a barbaric time...

Old 07-03-2018, 08:10 AM

995 posts, read 1,115,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobaba View Post
Close em down.

While we're at it, might as well tear down all the libraries too.

Relics of a barbaric time...
Andrew Carnegie was such a 1%’er...trying to help educate the masses. No problem, we’re rapidly heading back to those days.

After Borders closed, I considered B&N, but the two stores had such different atmospheres. Borders was fun, the clerks and customers were for the most part Book People.
B&N focused on their Nook to excess, the product in the end should have always been the books, and they lost that. Also, they always irritated me, because it had no real separation of genres (still doesn’t). You can find every type of fiction in general fiction. I couldn’t have worked there, I’d have lasted a week because I need to re-shelve it all lol. That said, bookstore closings make me sad.

Old 07-03-2018, 09:35 AM

765 posts, read 473,339 times
well ............................ i have only one tiny used book store and i frequent it often to try to find used poetry books from authors i have fallen in love with....but this tiny store is never going to be on anyone's book tour nor can it host poetry readings, these stores are often little holes in the walls, if you sneeze walking down the street, you will have missed it as you passed....

I love Barnes and Nobles, I do. It's an oasis, it's a calm, serene, almost sacred space for me. There has to be that in our society, that one secular peaceful paradise where you can find a small corner and sit there for 4 hours reading a book, sipping a tea, completely relaxed, no one pushing you around or rowdy crowds. I love the author readings, I love the slam poetry night and other open mics with music, topical talks. It's become a modern day village square where people gather in community and love of the word, those lovely phrases adorning our lives like strings of luminous lights connecting us not only to greater, loftier thoughts, but also to each other. i hope this never goes away, for there are scant places in this world where we can keep the emptiness away, know we are part of a humanity of thought that reaches farther and wider within narratives of love, outrage or grief that all of us experience.

A Barnes and Noble bookstore allows me to walk lighter through this world, I already know the greater truths having lived a long life, but a great bookstore allows me to keep in touch with belief, then i carry away more of shape, substance, desire and desire.

Old 07-03-2018, 10:07 AM

3,007 posts, read 3,131,154 times
I hope they don't go out of business since my husband and I have Nooks not Kindles.

Old 07-03-2018, 12:15 PM

In related news:

Saving Magnolia Park: Why L.A.'s Coolest Shopping Area is in Danger | L.A. Weekly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books