Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2019, 06:53 AM

3,220 posts, read 2,124,379 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
I just signed up for the overdrive account getting free kindle titles to my e reader. most titles are 14 day rental. The one i am currently reading is pretty dense and there is no way i can finish in 14 days. What is the process to check out again after the date? will I have to wait if others have it in their hold list?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2019, 11:28 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,534,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Hi All,
I just signed up for the overdrive account getting free kindle titles to my e reader. most titles are 14 day rental. The one i am currently reading is pretty dense and there is no way i can finish in 14 days. What is the process to check out again after the date? will I have to wait if others have it in their hold list?
That will depend upon the policies of of the lending library. Most will NOT let you recheck/renew if there is a wait list for it; you'll have to add your name to the hold list & wait for your turn to come up again.

fyi (& speaking as a retired librarian): I've found that if I keep wifi -and cellular, if your kindle has it - turned off, the book will not be deleted from my kindle until I turn wifi back on again. You might try that. It doesn't prevent the book from being made available for checkout to the next person the hold list so no harm, no foul as far as the libraries are concerned.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:47 PM

3,220 posts, read 2,124,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
That will depend upon the policies of of the lending library. Most will NOT let you recheck/renew if there is a wait list for it; you'll have to add your name to the hold list & wait for your turn to come up again.

fyi (& speaking as a retired librarian): I've found that if I keep wifi -and cellular, if your kindle has it - turned off, the book will not be deleted from my kindle until I turn wifi back on again. You might try that. It doesn't prevent the book from being made available for checkout to the next person the hold list so no harm, no foul as far as the libraries are concerned.
That is a great tip. thank you kindly.

Old 10-07-2019, 12:55 PM

4,725 posts, read 4,422,252 times
That is so helpful to know! Someone was explaining that to me but I thought that it would also hold up the future borrowing. Usually I can finish within 14 days but it's not always doable. Thank you biscuitmom!! Made my day!

Old 10-11-2019, 06:00 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,709,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeePee View Post
Hi All,
I had a similar issue, albeit with the hardcopy of Bugliosi's book on the Kennedy assassination: 1.5 million words (not counting index or citations, which were included on a CD-ROM that came with the book). With a standard 21-day checkout, I'd have had to consume 70,000+ words per day. I ended up renewing it once, then checking it out again a few months later in order to finally complete the thing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books