Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2020, 09:11 PM

3,527 posts, read 3,730,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
AS far as the quarterly bc goes, I am fine with doing it, but if nobody else joins in, then I am ok with not having it also.

Don't you think this entire thing has run its course? Great idea, but doesn't work with books.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2020, 05:15 PM

6,147 posts, read 4,506,352 times
What thing? The quarterly club or the club in general?

Old 02-14-2020, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
What thing? The quarterly club or the club in general?
There are zero wait times in the OP; it's cruise control. This was never meant for two to three month wait times for books. I didn't know. I would have to change my name to Bureaucracy-R for all of that. I don't want to dissapoint anyone. Anyone want to volunteer to take this over? Change how you select the books or do whatever you need to do. Use the randomization, don't use it, use it sometimes, or try different things that you think works for the group. We have a lot of great posters who want a book club. Maybe use what we learned - what worked and didn't work with this one - to start a more traditional one?

Old 02-15-2020, 09:51 AM

6,147 posts, read 4,506,352 times
I'm confused because we have a monthly club going on here. We read A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick in December, Lying In Wait by Liz Nugent in January and are reading Unsaid by Neil Abramson in February. One person, back at the beginning, said that in her very rural area, she mightn't be able to get books in a timely manner, but has so far had no issues.

You're the one who disappeared and didn't read the January book or comment on it. Then you tell us you were busy, but you should have mentioned that before, not after, accusing US of missing the deadline to A) finish the January book, which we all did, and B) suggest books for February. If you don't want to run, or participate in, the club any longer, that's on you.

Further, what does it mean "we have a lot of 'great' posters who want a book club?" A lot of OTHER posters? Where are they?

Old 02-15-2020, 12:44 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
Let's see who wants to continue with the monthly book club. Then we can decide.

I am in.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I'm confused because we have a monthly club going on here. We read A Reliable Wife by Robert Goolrick in December, Lying In Wait by Liz Nugent in January and are reading Unsaid by Neil Abramson in February. One person, back at the beginning, said that in her very rural area, she mightn't be able to get books in a timely manner, but has so far had no issues.

You're the one who disappeared and didn't read the January book or comment on it. Then you tell us you were busy, but you should have mentioned that before, not after, accusing US of missing the deadline to A) finish the January book, which we all did, and B) suggest books for February. If you don't want to run, or participate in, the club any longer, that's on you.

Further, what does it mean "we have a lot of 'great' posters who want a book club?" A lot of OTHER posters? Where are they?
There is no "disappeared." No one needs to announce if they're coming and going except to post their book titles. I collect the titles and set up the threads. Takes less than three minutes a month and you have yourself a book club. If you want to communicate if you will sign up to others, that is perfectly okay. You feed this with book titles. If I see the book titles, I know someone wants to join. If we went by what you said, you disappeared too and only stated after the fact that you would read for February. Truth is I won't be joining most of these due to my schedule, but for now, I think this is fun to do.

Please bear with me as I know this can be technical stuff that may not be that interesting.

This is currently a low entry, high participation model and might work better with a high entry, low participation one to match reality. I was a little surprised that another valuable member who reads a lot had trouble coming up with a title, so I need to maybe correct for that issue. I don't want to spring it on you and keep making changes like we did earlier with the time schedule. Can we forget I ever mentioned the quarterly? .

PROPOSED BOOK SELECTION CHANGES

I offer this strictly for feedback and suggestions as an opportunity to figure out a better way to do this so that there is no drama in the process .

I put forth to you the following proposed changes:
  • Minimum of two books selected in total, even if it's by just one person. I originally kept it to one book per person to keep things simple.
  • Instead of one book per poster, we up it to two books per poster max.
  • Minimum of two members per month saying they will join (by posting their titles) for there to be a discussion thread created.
  • The "participating member" concept in regard to exclusivity is eliminated. Just need two people, not going to worry about how many more after that. It is assumed anyway that this is a public forum.
  • "Randomness" stays. Picking things out of a hat has been around a long time. That's all this is.

• Members can coordinate in the monthly selection window - this is a month in advance - so that you can all get the books for free at your library ahead of time. Months ahead of time, even, if you want. I don't care how you schedule it. It's up to you how to do this. Or do it however your normal book club does it if you're in one. That way everyone is ready to go on the first of the month. The only issue I have with this is that I don't want that to put pressure on someone to change their title just because it's not available to others. Currently they don't have to ask, which makes it easier on them to pick what they want and there is no infighting and things like that. Please provide feedback about this option in particular - if you want more coordination.
  • Suggestion: someone (not me) can maintain a running list where interested members know they can get the books for free at their libraries. This is cross-coordination. Doesn't sound like fun to me. You run that however you want. This will mean managing new members and old members alike.
  • I will check the main club thread on the first of every month. If the two book, two people minimum is met, I will post a discussion thread. If I don't see anything, no thread.
  • I will not bump or update the main club thread unless the above are met for any given month. It will act like any other thread from there.
All I want to do is open the thread on the first of every month, see people's entries, do the randomization, set up the threads and go about my day. This should be enjoyable for everyone.

I want to get things set in stone. This took a lot longer on both sides to get used to than I thought it would. That is okay, but I can't edit the OP with new rules, and this needs a fresh start. If we can reach a consensus, I will set up a new thread with updated rules. No more changes, we go with that.

By the way, as far as the club, I'm in.

Thank you all for your participation.

Old 02-15-2020, 01:34 PM

130,128 posts, read 12,082,762 times
My nomination for March is "Dutch House" by Ann Patchett. If you want a second title, from me, I say"Nightingale" by Kristin Hannah.

Old 02-17-2020, 10:34 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
im in for march as well . Here is my pick : the tea planters wife . wow did I really miss something not coming here for a few days ? is someone leaving ? dropping out ? please explain im confused now .okay I just read through some of the posts and now im more confused than ever jeeze . Okay now I have a headache or does everyone else have one too ? Please someone clarify thanks

Old 02-17-2020, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im in for march as well . Here is my pick : the tea planters wife . wow did I really miss something not coming here for a few days ? is someone leaving ? dropping out ? please explain im confused now .okay I just read through some of the posts and now im more confused than ever jeeze . Okay now I have a headache or does everyone else have one too ? Please someone clarify thanks
Hi phonelady61, thank you for your book submission. I took flack for the February hiccup. We're five months in and there is still some miscommunication. We need more than one submission in total. Also, if a member does not sign up by posting a book, they aren't expected to do the reading or respond to a discussion thread. Posters join on a month-to-month basis. It is an option, not an obligation. Choosing to join whenever you want is awesome! You fit it in when you can. The main club thread is a blank sheet of paper each month. No entries, then nothing happens. It is activated by book titles.

The new rules fix the problem. You get up to two books now per poster, and two people minimum saying they will join will be needed to create a discussion thread. If we can all agree to that, it's smooth sailing from here, I hope. The rest will take care of itself.

The thread's been a bit bogged down in procedural issues, but I think we're getting closer, so we can get back to focusing on books. I am happy to answer any further questions via DM.

Cheers.

Last edited by Free-R; 02-17-2020 at 12:08 PM..

Old 02-17-2020, 12:09 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,078,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
Hi phonelady61, thank you for you book submission. I took flack for the February hiccup. We're five months in and there is still some miscommunication. We need more than one submission in total. Also, if a member does not sign up by posting a book, they aren't expected to do the reading or respond to a discussion thread. Posters join on a month-to-month basis. It is an option, not an obligation. Choosing to join whenever you want is awesome! You fit it in when you can. The main club thread is a blank sheet of paper each month. No entries, then nothing happens. It is activated by book titles.

The new rules fix the problem. You get up to two books now per poster, and two people minimum saying they will join will be needed to create a discussion thread. If we can all agree to that, it's smooth sailing from here, I hope. The rest will take care of itself.

The thread's been a bit bogged down in procedural issues, but I think we're getting closer, so we can get back to focusing on books. I am happy to answer any further questions by DM.

Cheers.

Hi hello thanks for clarifying . I think I understand what happened now . okay well my second submission would be "saving fish from drowning " by amy tan .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books