Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2023, 04:06 AM

5,132 posts, read 4,481,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
Add me to the list of "Not a Faulkner Fan". But I don't like Hemingway either.
^^^^ Same here. No appeal whatsoever.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2023, 05:11 AM

4,723 posts, read 4,413,722 times
I had to verify (on goodreads) so apparently I read it. I thought so. I remember reading the words, and finishing it to to speak, but without a clue as to what I had read.
I had hopes for it too, because I do find that southern dreamy quality very enticing, but I just couldn't follow this. I am pretty sure it was one and done for me and Faulkner.

Old 06-06-2023, 07:17 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Faulkner is probably the second-most over-rated author in all of American literature, second only to F. Scott Fitzgerald, who could at least string a sentence together.

This one always makes me smile:
No agreement here.

I think Fitzgerald is great. Better than Hemingway any day.

Old 06-07-2023, 10:11 AM

9,111 posts, read 6,155,520 times
When I want to read a great American writer, I go to Edith Wharton.

Old 06-07-2023, 02:19 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I really enjoy Hemingway's style. But his content? Always struck me as rather empty. His stories are mastercrafts of style, but in the end, I find myself not caring about the characters or conflicts.

Great style.

No substance.
Good way to put it. All style, no substance. It seems to me some people think it's cool to like Hemingway which kind of supports that. It's not about what's cool or putting on appearances with an author, but who really gets readers thinking or moves them in some way. To me Hemingway is mostly about posturing. I'm so busy reacting with, "Oh, brother" to get into it. He's a blowhard.

Old 06-08-2023, 06:00 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
He is. But ...

That's kind of like saying Eddie Van Halen is better than Ace Frehley any day. While that is technically true, it still isn't saying much, since I don't really care for either.

Old 06-08-2023, 09:57 PM

357 posts, read 224,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillie767 View Post
When I want to read a great American writer, I go to Edith Wharton.
Amen!

Old 06-10-2023, 04:11 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Absolutely.

"...those words, and the few hundred others that follow as the novel reaches its end, seem to me now -- eight decades after that imagined first reading -- the most beautiful, compelling and true in all of American literature. Each reading of them is a revelation and a gift. If from all of our country's books I could have only one, "The Great Gatsby" would be it."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dy...010100958.html

Old 06-13-2023, 05:56 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Fitzgerald did write great (for its time; it is now dated in many ways) prose. But he is another style over substance writer. We were all forced to read Gatsby in school, and I found every forced reading a chore. There are few books in American Lit I genuinely hate more. There isn't a single likeable character in the book.

The books is an ode to 20th century narcissism and debauchery --- which is probably why the Baby Boomer generation loved it so much.

https://bigthink.com/articles/is-the...l-of-all-time/
As Jason Gots quite rightly points out, Gatsby is “totally acceptable as a minor, artsy romance.” So why not read it that way? I think I will. See you at the beach!

https://www.vulture.com/2013/05/schu...at-gatsby.html
I find Gatsby aesthetically overrated, psychologically vacant, and morally complacent; I think we kid ourselves about the lessons it contains. None of this would matter much to me if Gatsby were not also sacrosanct.

It is an impressive accomplishment. And yet, apart from the restrained, intelligent, beautifully constructed opening pages and a few stray passages thereafter—a melancholy twilight walk in Manhattan; some billowing curtains settling into place at the closing of a drawing-room door—Gatsby as a literary creation leaves me cold. Like one of those manicured European parks patrolled on all sides by officious gendarmes, it is pleasant to look at, but you will not find any people inside.

Indeed, The Great Gatsby is less involved with human emotion than any book of comparable fame I can think of. None of its characters are likable. None of them are even dislikable, though nearly all of them are despicable. They function here only as types, walking through the pages of the book like kids in a school play who wear sashes telling the audience what they represent: OLD MONEY, THE AMERICAN DREAM, ORGANIZED CRIME. It is possible, of course, to deny your readers access to the inner lives of your characters and still write a psychologically potent book: I give you Blood Meridian. But to do that, you yourself must understand your characters and conceive of them as human.

Fitzgerald fails at that, most egregiously where it most matters: in the relationship between Daisy and Gatsby. This he constructs out of one part nostalgia, four parts narrative expedience, and zero parts anything else—love, sex, desire, any kind of palpable connection. Fitzgerald himself (who otherwise expressed, to anyone who would listen, a dazzled reverence for his own novel) acknowledged this flaw. Of the great, redemptive romance on which the entire story is supposed to turn, he admitted, “I gave no account (and had no feeling about or knowledge of) the emotional relations between Gatsby and Daisy.”

More:
https://owlcation.com/humanities/Why...y-is-Overrated
https://www.vice.com/en/article/78ye...atsby-is-trash
https://sites.psu.edu/toreadornottor...pointing-read/

Old 06-14-2023, 11:33 AM

52,708 posts, read 34,525,339 times
could not get into his stuff at all. it was like slogging through a mud bog.

a boring one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books