Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2009, 06:35 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,410,295 times

Advertisements

This is NOT an advertisement !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But I wanted to share this as it is so unusual...I buy many books from this company.. new and used. I just ordered a book and their way of telling me that my order has shipped is the following:
Dear.....
(Your book(s) asked to write you a personal note - it seemed unusual, but who are we to say no?)

Holy canasta! It's me... it's me! I can't believe it is actually me! You could have picked any of over 2 million books but you picked me! I've got to get packed! How is the weather where you live? Will I need a dust jacket? I can't believe I'm leaving Mishawaka, Indiana already - the friendly people, the Hummer plant, the Linebacker Lounge - so many memories. I don't have much time to say goodbye to everyone, but it's time to see the world!

I can't wait to meet you! You sound like such a well read person. Although, I have to say, it sure has taken you a while! I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but how would you like to spend five months sandwiched between Hamlet (bipolar) and Fundamentals of Thermodynamics (pyromaniac)? At least Hamlet was an upgrade from that stupid book on brewing beer. How many times did the ol' brewmaster have one too many and topple off our shelf at 2am?

I know the trip to meet you will be long and fraught with peril, but after the close calls I've had, I'm ready for anything (besides, some of my best friends are suspense novels). Just five months ago, I thought I was a goner. My owner was moving and couldn't take me with her. I was sure I was landfill bait until I ended up in a Better World Books book drive bin. Thanks to your socially conscious book shopping, I've found a new home. Even better, your book buying dollars are helping kids read from Brazil to Botswana.

But hey, enough about me, I've been asked to brief you on a few things:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2009, 07:05 AM

193 posts, read 813,711 times
That's cute. Neat idea, more fun than your average confirmation email!

Old 01-23-2009, 07:07 AM

5,169 posts, read 11,451,921 times
How fun!

forum rules, please read them

Old 01-23-2009, 07:24 AM

2,377 posts, read 5,410,295 times
And just in case anyone is wondering....yes, I did respond to the 'book's letter'.. telling him where he would be living and who his shelf mates would be !!! After all.. it's Friday!!!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:41 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,244,713 times
What a neat idea! I'll bet we can be pretty certain that the person who came up with that is a frustrated writer.....working as a clerk in a book store til she/he can finish the 'great American novel.'

Old 01-26-2009, 09:33 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,137,806 times
ITA w/ Gayle!

That is a fun incident!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books