Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 01:34 PM

840 posts, read 781,386 times

Advertisements

Do you consider someone racist because they read Mein Kampf? What if that same person read the communist manifesto?
I am being attacked in the politics section because I know which MK is the best read and understand...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2012, 05:32 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,744,348 times
I wouldn't assume a person is racist simply due to what he or she reads. There are many different reasons why people choose to read books.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:41 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,859,243 times
No....I have considered reading too...

then I often read books etc that are oppositional from my personal views. I hope it keeps me from being narrow-minded...

While these books do not change my views, it gives me a very different perspective. As for MK, maybe it would aid my understanding of Hitler/ Germany. No matter how much I read on that subject...still hard to comprehend how it all happened while the world watched...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPON View Post
Do you consider someone racist because they read Mein Kampf? What if that same person read the communist manifesto?
I am being attacked in the politics section because I know which MK is the best read and understand...

Old 03-03-2012, 11:00 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Well I'm black and no I wouldn't consider someone racist for reading it. Can't say I'd sit down with it on a park bench, though LOL. I actually considered reading MK, but people have said it's so poorly written it's not worth it. I can't tolerate a book like that....Someone I know thought "American History X" was racist and that is a GREAT movie & there's a point to the racism and language in the movie, they don't get that though. People don't have any sense anymore. *smh*

Stay out of the politics section, it's a pointless section, IMO. They just want to argue and badger each other, not actually discuss anything.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:12 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
Well I'm black and no I wouldn't consider someone racist for reading it. Can't say I'd sit down with it on a park bench, though LOL. I actually considered reading MK, but people have said it's so poorly written it's not worth it. I can't tolerate a book like that....Someone I know thought "American History X" was racist and that is a GREAT movie & there's a point to the racism and language in the movie, they don't get that though. People don't have any sense anymore. *smh*

Stay out of the politics section, it's a pointless section, IMO. They just want to argue and badger each other, not actually discuss anything.
I've read Mein Kampf. I wouldn't consider anyone to be racist for reading it but if they believed it was anything other than a poorly written piece of garbage, I would.

Old 03-03-2012, 11:56 PM

8,711 posts, read 11,732,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netwit View Post
I've read Mein Kampf. I wouldn't consider anyone to be racist for reading it but if they believed it was anything other than a poorly written piece of garbage, I would.

As I said I haven't read it...but why would someone be considered "racist" if they read the book and think it's 'poorly written garbage' if that's their opinion after reading it? Just not seeing how that translates into racism. There's a thread going on in entertainment section about the the movie "The Help." That would be like me saying anyone who didn't like the movie is 'racist.'

Old 03-03-2012, 11:58 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,251,824 times
Quote:

I wouldn't but I have read and own a copy of the Eqyptian Book of the Dead. It is information, knowledge and a glimpse into someone else's life and culture as they see it.

Old 03-04-2012, 03:07 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,630,992 times
Of course not. I read "Mein Kampf" and my Great Grand Father died escaping from Auschwitz and my Great Uncle spent years in various death camps ( he is a survivor). We even studied bits of it at school during History. I must admit I thought apart from the moral aspect of it though it was basically an incredibly written, badly argued piece of trash in literary terms and dull as ditch water. Not a book I would care to re-read.

Hitler was a far better orator than a writer. Whatever his skills may have been writing was certainly not one of them.

Knowledge is never a bad thing and it is rather difficult to criticise something in an informed manner if you haven't got the facts at your fingertips so sometimes books like MK have to be endured if you are going to gather a deeper understanding of certain issues.

I have read a lot of contentious and controversial books in my days, some proponents of slavery and colonialism and I am deeply opposed to both. Contemporary sources are often the only way to really get to the nub of some questions. You gain an insight into the minds of people who are so removed from your own way of thinking that it is almost impossible to understand what lies behind their beliefs.

If the profits from MK went to a Nazi organisation then that would be an issue but otherwise, knowledge is knowledge. It used to be that all profits of MK went to various charities , is this still the case ?

What makes someone racist is believing the crap in those books and trying to follow its precepts. A book is only a vessel for words, those words are meaningless until a human being decides to believe them.

I have read the Bible and many other Sacred texts and I am a staunch Atheist...

Old 03-04-2012, 03:21 AM

7,309 posts, read 9,328,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doll Eyes View Post
As I said I haven't read it...but why would someone be considered "racist" if they read the book and think it's 'poorly written garbage' if that's their opinion after reading it? Just not seeing how that translates into racism. There's a thread going on in entertainment section about the the movie "The Help." That would be like me saying anyone who didn't like the movie is 'racist.'

No, it wouldn't be like you saying anyone who didn't like the movie is racist. Mein Kampf is a racist book with a racist ideology. It also happens to be a poorly written book. There is no way to praise that book on the basis of either its quality of writing or its ideas, and if a reader's opinion is otherwise, I would bet on the reader being a member of, or a sympathizer of white supremacist racist type groups.

Old 03-04-2012, 08:16 AM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Of course it doesn't mean they're racist. Studying history is necessary in order to prevent negative parts of it from happening again. If the entire German population had read Mein Kampf before supporting Hitler, I guarantee he wouldn't have been popular at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books