Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2023, 07:53 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

I just finished my second Faulkner novel, The Sound and the Fury, and I devoutly hope never to read another, ever, the rest of my life.

Apart from the fact that I hate dialect, it moves at a snail's pace, no plot in the traditional sense, and every single character is unpleasant - and boring.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2023, 01:50 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
I've only "read" one Faulkner novel -- Absalom, Absalom -- because it was my book club's selection almost four years ago. I have "read" in quotes because I gave up after about 20 pages. Life is too short to struggle with reading; if not for the book club, I'd have given up after 3 pages. The one-page run-on sentences were exhausting! To this day, my book club will damn a book with faint praise by saying, "It was no Absalom, Absalom, but..."

Old 05-22-2023, 02:39 PM

3,297 posts, read 3,021,473 times
Having to read Absalom, Absalom in college killed any interest I might have had in reading another of Faulkner's novels.

Old 05-23-2023, 06:17 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Faulkner is probably the second-most over-rated author in all of American literature, second only to F. Scott Fitzgerald, who could at least string a sentence together.

This one always makes me smile:

Old 05-23-2023, 07:44 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I just finished my second Faulkner novel, The Sound and the Fury, and I devoutly hope never to read another, ever, the rest of my life.
Having read that at around age 20, required for whatever lit class I was taking, I felt the same way. It was too hard to follow his stream of consciousness writing. Some of his short stories are interesting, though. I enjoyed "A Rose for Emily," although it was dark.

https://www.bookishelf.com/a-rose-fo...liam-faulkner/

Old 05-24-2023, 04:29 PM
bjh

60,055 posts, read 30,368,879 times
Add me to the list of "Not a Faulkner Fan". But I don't like Hemingway either.

Old 05-24-2023, 05:01 PM

537 posts, read 443,275 times
My close friend grew up next door to William Faulkner in Oxford, Mississippi.

Mr. Faulkner lived in a beautiful antebellum mansion I understand.

Old 05-25-2023, 12:07 PM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjh View Post
But I don't like Hemingway either.
I really enjoy Hemingway's style. But his content? Always struck me as rather empty. His stories are mastercrafts of style, but in the end, I find myself not caring about the characters or conflicts.

Great style.

No substance.

Old 05-25-2023, 01:32 PM

23,250 posts, read 18,764,714 times
IMHO Faulkner's stream of consciousness was an attempt to portray dark moody mental atmosphere. Suggests a sort of historic resentment, regret, bitterness, cultural lethargy. Doesn't make for easy or pleasant reading but doubt that was his intent. I didn't particularly like Faulker's work either, but it did make a noticeable impression. Suspect he didn't expect readers to enjoy the read. I have tried to read James Joyce for decades as well, but just can't stick with it. How about Nathaniel Hawthorne?

Think about it. How many times have we heard that just because we don't like a Picasso, Mondrian, or some other piece of art doesn't mean it has no merit. It is supposed to evoke a response. Regardless whether the reaction was negative or positive, if it evoked something you remember, the work was successful. I found Faulkner's shorter stories easier than the novels.

Last edited by Parnassia; 05-25-2023 at 02:05 PM..

Old 05-25-2023, 03:41 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,906,913 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Think about it. How many times have we heard that just because we don't like a Picasso, Mondrian, or some other piece of art doesn't mean it has no merit. It is supposed to evoke a response. Regardless whether the reaction was negative or positive, if it evoked something you remember, the work was successful. I found Faulkner's shorter stories easier than the novels.
Agreed, but most of us know in an instant if we like or dislike the work of a visual artist. Getting to that point in literature usually takes a greater investment of time and money. And as is the case with art, just because I don't like an author's style, doesn't detract from the value of his or her work.

On a somewhat related topic, we had an interesting discussion about Somerset Maugham's Razor's Edge at my book club meeting last week. We enjoyed the book, making allowances for the dated language (the book was published in 1943), but didn't understand why it still appears on many "best ever" works of fiction. Another instance of it being a matter of taste.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books