Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 01:06 PM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,305 times

Advertisements

Anyone reading the new "Blackest Night" story line, in Green Lantern??

The first two stories grabbed me from the get go!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2009, 02:07 PM

23,857 posts, read 71,321,355 times
I am collecting Lucky Luke,Asterix,Gaston,Marsupilami,The Smurfs,Johan et Pirlouit,Steven Strong and other french and belgian comics.
I'm gonna start collecting magazines when I can afford it.
I have started with Donald Duck from the late 70s and early 80s.
It's just too bad that my favourite Frank Margerin only had two books translated two swedish, so I am missing almost twenty books.
I need to learn french....

Old 07-26-2009, 11:09 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,643,401 times
DC was the only comic to consider having its characters age. You really didn't see that over in Marvel. You had characters die, but they didn't gradually age.

This has become apparent just recently, when they gave Wolverine existence during World War II...and Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD was there too. (That wasn't supposed to be Sgt. Fury, was it? Just thought of that.) That's a pretty old dude, but he stays in the same age range, appearance wise. Spiderman's been written about since the 60's, but he's the perpetual college student/freelance photographer. He never gets past his early 20's.

They've had a number of different Green Lanterns for Earth, and Bruce Wayne eventually got old ("Batman Beyond"), and his first ward grew up to become Nightwing.

Old 07-27-2009, 04:52 AM

10,793 posts, read 13,540,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
DC was the only comic to consider having its characters age. You really didn't see that over in Marvel. You had characters die, but they didn't gradually age.

This has become apparent just recently, when they gave Wolverine existence during World War II...and Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD was there too. (That wasn't supposed to be Sgt. Fury, was it? Just thought of that.) That's a pretty old dude, but he stays in the same age range, appearance wise. Spiderman's been written about since the 60's, but he's the perpetual college student/freelance photographer. He never gets past his early 20's.

They've had a number of different Green Lanterns for Earth, and Bruce Wayne eventually got old ("Batman Beyond"), and his first ward grew up to become Nightwing.

I think Fury was injected with something called the "Infinity Formula".

Old 07-29-2009, 01:14 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,382,928 times
Comic books were all ever read growing up

Old 07-29-2009, 10:21 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Grew up on Superman, Lois Lane, Supergirl, Superboy stuff.

Then got a bit into Thor.

From there I changed over to Conan the Barbarian.

Then came Maus.
Haven't read too many graphic novels, but Maus was really good.

I wish I had saved my Giant Lois Lane, but I did save quite a few of my comics.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:33 AM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bunjee View Post
I grew up on Marvel, John Byrne's X-Men being central. Started reading the standard comix fare: the Hernandez Brothers' Love and Rockets, Peter Bagge's Hate and Daniel Clowes' Eightball. Neil Gaiman and Alan Moore, too, of course. I enjoyed Moore's Miracleman more than Watchmen, actually, but I converted a lot of non-comics readers with Watchmen. They'd get all excited when I came home with the new installment, but weren't all that careful with my copies. I hadn't ceased to be obsessive about mylar bags and acid-free backers yet.
I'm pretty much the same. But I didn't get into the 'underground' stuff until college years (Clowes, Bagge, etc). I was at the local comic store every Saturday from about '85-'87 spending my allowance (this was before I got all grown-up and too cool for that stuff). I still remember the original releases of stuff like Watchmen & Dark Knight. And, of course, the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles series. I have almost a complete collection of Uncanny X-Men from issue #140 - 280 or so. I'm actually going thru the process of changing all the boards and bags now - they've been in the same ones for over 20 years!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
I read the Batcomics pretty faithfully until Morrison came in and ruined everything. But I'm really a Marvel boy from childhood.
I haven't read those - but Morrison's run of Animal Man is probably my favorite thing to come out of mainstream comics in the 80s.
I understand the frustration of the purists when the Brits (Moore, Morrison, Gaiman, et al) came in and got all post-modern. But I love that stuff.

Old 07-30-2009, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
Then came Maus.
Haven't read too many graphic novels, but Maus was really good.
BWP, I can recommend some more graphic novels along the lines of Maus.
Check out the work of Joe Sacco
http://www.lelefante.it/Arretrati/g-luglio2007/immagini/joe%20sacco%204%20autoritratto.jpg (broken link)

He wrote a GN called 'Palestine' - a true story in which he travels around there and basically documents the situations of the people who are living in the middle of the conflict (in the 90s anyway). Better than any news story I have read on the region.

He also wrote "Safe Area Gorazde" about the Bosnian War.
All highly literate engaging stuff.

Old 07-30-2009, 10:53 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,011,343 times
Wow, that looks really good--much thanks, B Frank.
Reminds me a bit of Persepolis (I saw the movie but never read the graphic novel).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books