Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-12-2009, 01:46 PM

356 posts, read 916,908 times

Advertisements

any opinions on the best order to read the Terry Pratchett discword Series?

I have read many of these books and like them but have not read them in order. In fact, I kind of doubt that chronilogically by publication date is the best way to read these. I did not like the first few books (The colour of magic, The light fantastic, a large section near the end of Equal rites) as much as the later ones. My reading order has depended largely on when I could find them either at used book stores or the library. I have recommended the series to my husband but want to be able to suggest a starting point.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 01:15 AM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,708 times
My personal favorites are any that concern the City Guard in any form. Start with "Guards, Guards" and move on to "Moving Pictures" (even though they are only peripheral to the central theme. "Small Gods", "Men at Arms", "Feet of Clay", "Soul Music", "Maskerade", "Jingo", "The Fifth Elephant", "The Truth", "Night Watch", "Thud", "Going Postal" and "Making Money".

As a stand alone, "Pyramids" does a pretty decent job.

Old 08-13-2009, 08:12 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times
You really should read them in the order they were written because several books feature the same characters and if you don't know what happened previously, you could get confused about what's going on and why. The order they were written in is:
  1. The Colour of Magic
  2. The Light Fantastic
  3. Equal Rites
  4. Sourcery
  5. Wyrd Sisters
  6. Pyramids
  7. Guards! Guards!
  8. Eric
  9. Moving Pictures
  10. Reaper Man
  11. Witches Abroad
  12. Small Gods
  13. Lords and Ladies
  14. Men at Arms
  15. Soul Music
  16. Interesting Times
  17. Maskerade
  18. Feet of Clay
  19. Hogfather
  20. Jingo
  21. The Last Continent
  22. Carpe Jugulum
  23. The Fifth Elephant
  24. The Truth
  25. Thief of Time
  26. Night Watch
  27. Monstrous Regiment
  28. Going Postal
  29. Thud!
  30. Making Money

Also featuring Tiffany Aching, apprentice witch
Wee Free Men
Hat Full of Sky
Wintersmith

Old 08-15-2009, 11:54 AM

338 posts, read 320,094 times
Thanks for the list Chilaili! I just watched The Colour of Magic DVD a couple of days ago

Old 08-15-2009, 11:31 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
am I the only one that had trouble getting through The Color of Magic? I have it now and just can't seem to finish it in one sitting, which is odd b/c I've breezed through his other books in the past. I haven't read anything by him too recently so I can't really compare writing styles, but I guess it would be obvious that his style has changed from the first book. I'm trying hard to read the series in published order and still haven't finished TCOM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books