Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 08:09 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,471,916 times

Advertisements

Oh yes, I've had friends who said they didn't read books. One claimed it was because she had ADD and it was just too boring to sit and read a 300-page book. HOWEVER . . . after about 5 years I did manage to persuade her to start with something simple (I think it was one those cat mysteries). Another said it was because he'd had to read so much in grad school he couldn't face reading another book ever again. Frankly, I'd go completely insane if I didn't have at least one book ready to hand at all times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 08:38 AM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
I have two sisters and a brother. My oldest sister and I devour books and trade back and forth, and my youngest sister doesn't read anything but US Weekly type magazines. On family vacations the non-reading sister gets so bored, because everyone retires to the porch with their book. It's weird, because my parents always read to us growing up and always emphasized the value of learning and curiosity. It stuck for only half their kids. When I'm in the market for a new purse, I always have to make sure it's big enough to hold a book.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:12 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
I know lots of people that never read. I think a lot of it has to do with how you were raised. I was raised by a teacher and was read to from the time I was little and always got books as gifts and encouraged to read regularly as soon as I could.

I am doing the same to my kids so I can try to install that in them.

I would think parents would try to encourage that behavior as much as possible.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 PM

5,765 posts, read 10,999,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Oh yes, I've had friends who said they didn't read books. One claimed it was because she had ADD and it was just too boring to sit and read a 300-page book. HOWEVER . . . after about 5 years I did manage to persuade her to start with something simple (I think it was one those cat mysteries). Another said it was because he'd had to read so much in grad school he couldn't face reading another book ever again. Frankly, I'd go completely insane if I didn't have at least one book ready to hand at all times.

That's a poor excuse because I have ADD in the worst way and still read a lot.

There are times where I am restless and cant stay still but I generally use those times to do the physical activities that I need to do.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:16 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
I know quite a few people who never read, just because they don't like to: my parents, my brother, several of my relatives actually!
I wonder how I actually became such a bookworm with a family that never reads...

Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,320,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RjRobb2 View Post
I am doing the same to my kids so I can try to install that in them.
I would think parents would try to encourage that behavior as much as possible.
That's exactly what I'll do when I have kids. Reading can be so magic!

Old 08-20-2009, 03:28 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,897 times
Yes. I am in my mid 30s and I've read only 2 or 3 up until about 8 months ago. I am now up to 135 and will hit 200 or more by the start of Dec. A friend of mine currently refuses to read anything but did take me up on a recommendation many years ago. This was one of the two or three books I had read like 15 years ago. As far as I can tell that's the only book he's ever read outside of class. This quite common. It's kind of funny having two completely perspectives on reading nowadays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
I have two sisters and a brother. My oldest sister and I devour books and trade back and forth, and my youngest sister doesn't read anything but US Weekly type magazines. On family vacations the non-reading sister gets so bored, because everyone retires to the porch with their book. It's weird, because my parents always read to us growing up and always emphasized the value of learning and curiosity. It stuck for only half their kids. When I'm in the market for a new purse, I always have to make sure it's big enough to hold a book.
It's possible she simply isn't interested in the kinds of books your mother recommended or your sisters like. Perhaps she's secretly a scifi buff or more into horror or mystery, etc.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:54 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookie View Post
my husband. He reads nary a book though his reading skills are very much up to par. I am the book hound in the family. I love learning about new things.

I think some people do not like to read because schooling sapped them of their natural desire to learn. A child should not be made to sit in a seat and be dictated to and disciplined all day long. They are full of energy and natural curiosity, and this setting does not allow them to use it.

I also think that our society dictates that learning isn't cool or fun. You're nerdy if you read books. The powers that be want us to remain in the dark so we will not pay attention to what they are doing. It's easier to rule over a bunch of mushrooms.
ita

Old 08-20-2009, 07:43 PM

89 posts, read 201,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chilaili View Post
Another said it was because he'd had to read so much in grad school he couldn't face reading another book ever again.
My husband doesn't read for the same reason. He says that he reads too many textbooks to be interested in any outside reading. That seems just really strange to me. Like comparing apples and oranges.. I read to relax and escaped from school work, he seems to think it is more of the same....

I also have several students who say they don't like to read. I have a theory about that. When I read, a movie screen literally pops up in my mind and I am not seeing the words in the book, but what is happening in the story. I have been asking people who say they don't like to read if the same thing happens for them. They have all said no.....

Old 08-21-2009, 04:14 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissLariss View Post
My husband doesn't read for the same reason. He says that he reads too many textbooks to be interested in any outside reading. That seems just really strange to me. Like comparing apples and oranges.. I read to relax and escaped from school work, he seems to think it is more of the same....

I also have several students who say they don't like to read. I have a theory about that. When I read, a movie screen literally pops up in my mind and I am not seeing the words in the book, but what is happening in the story. I have been asking people who say they don't like to read if the same thing happens for them. They have all said no.....

I think one has to consider what was the last book or books most students were last exposed to. I can't be certain but I think the last book I was forced to read in high school was the great gatsby, and while I'm sure this is classic literature at it's best, what teenager in their right mind is going to want to read more books after that? It's little wonder they don't want to be traumatized again. However if you were to offer up maybe 3 popular book series for them to read which are exciting and addictive, the notion of not wanting to read should quickly seep out of them. Because after all that reading they'll begin to seek out other books they may be interested in. It's just a matter of exposure I think. Most ppl have no idea what's out there. Even if there is something good where exactly are they supposed to look?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books