Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 02:57 PM

2,963 posts, read 5,452,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cougfan View Post
Well, I'm one of those "busy-bodies" that some readers here look down on! I'm more of a technical reader - I read to gather info on a subject I'm interested in, but the idea of going to the beach and then just sitting and reading all day would be torture! I appreciate reading, but I'm more of a "doer". I bring my boogie board to the beach and like to study the waves and figure out the patterns of which waves will be best.

Recently, a reader friend of mine was discussing a sci-fi book series they had read - when I told them I hadn't read it, they assumed it was because the series was "over my head". The actual idea that maybe it didn't interest me never occured to my friend. My reader friend are nowhere near as gifted as I am musically, but funny, I don't consider them dummies because they don't share my interests.

I know way too many "busy-bodies" like myself who are Doctors, Engineers, GM's, and such who are not read-for-pleasure types who are quite intelligent - conversely, I find more "novel-a-week" readers who assign themselves a false intellect because they "are readers" - but can't do something as simple as balance their checkbook or know where the oil goes in their car!

Maybe some of those "non-readers" are just wired a little different! Maybe some people need to get past their own prejudice about people who don't have a book constantly in their face?
As I said before, I know non-readers who are professional and intelligent, so it's never a matter of their level of intellect. The thing is, in turn, your friends as well probably don't consider your musical endeavors to be "torture", as you say. It is sad that they possibly implied a book was over your head. But in turn it's also the pervasive attitude of dismissal towards reading that I think is a bit stubborn. To me, reading is listening, not learning, if that makes any sense. It's remembering that the author has a perspective on characters (probably real people) that he knows, and if he's a great author--that's the trick of it and this is the rewarding discovery--finding some resonance in his knowledge. I really think reading can offer wisdom, more than any psychology textbook. But, yes, it is a preference and I don't deem non-reading anything more than a shame, not a crime, just as you probably think everyone should pick up an instrument.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 03:00 PM

29,745 posts, read 34,389,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
What I have found more often are people who read only non-fiction. It seems limiting to me but to each their own.
There's some great non-fiction writing out there, to be sure, but I always want to ask if this type of reader only watches documentaries when they watch movies as well.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:28 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,694,159 times
Everytime I say that I read (or have read)--especially for a class--people usually say something to the effect of, "Well, I don't have the time; I work, have kids, came from an under-privileged background, blah, blah, blah," insinuating that people who read--especially those who are proud of it--are privileged (or any other negative moniker that excuses the speaker's inability to pick up and read a book, magazine or newspaper.)
I never thought that I would see the day when people who read would be considered "privileged." Even more disturbing, I have also encountered the same attitude when people make excuses for why they are not smart, intellectual, informed or educated.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:40 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
I know people who don't read and one part of me thinks to each his own But then there is the part of me who gets really irritated by non-readers who seem to look down on readers as those who read because they don't have a life or interests. Or those that say "oh I don't read I'm always too busy" in that way that is just bragging or something.

Old 09-16-2009, 03:11 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,082,223 times
I've ALWAYS been a reader. I couldn't imagine my life without reading! Of course, between work and school and trying to find some time to sleep I don't read as often as I'd like, but I try to read a little each day. My problem is, I can't commit to one book. I always have about 4 or 5 going at once so it takes me, well, forever to finish a book!

I think more people don't read books than do. Are we a dying breed? I have had quite a few people ask me why I bother reading-especially the "strange stuff that I like" (I read alot of history and non-fiction). People always automatically assume that whatever I'm reading must be for school; they're always so baffled when I'll say "Nope, I'm reading this book on Soviet history/WWII/Roman battlegrounds/Medieval cooking for my enjoyment" and they'll tell me "Wow, you're so weird".

That's okay by me. They go back to their text messaging and I go back to my book!

Old 09-16-2009, 10:05 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fleetiebelle View Post
There's some great non-fiction writing out there, to be sure, but I always want to ask if this type of reader only watches documentaries when they watch movies as well.
I read about 95% nonfiction and I probably watch at least 50% documentaries compared to other movies. I was a huge fiction reader as a kid, but as an adult, it seems much harder to find fiction that is both well-written and engaging. When I go to Borders, I see tables full of superficial chick lit, pretentious-sounding literary fiction, trash like Dan Brown, Twilight and so on. I'm sure there are hidden gems in there, but often the covers themselves are such a turnoff that it doesn't seem worth sifting through the garbage. It's also a time issue. I can manage about a book a week at best and I'd rather spend it on, say, a biography of someone who fascinates me than take the risk on a novel which may or may not have any redeeming value.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:05 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,189,652 times
I've always been a reader and NEVER understood those that don't. I, like virtually everyone else nowadays, am very busy yet I always have at least one, and usually 2 books going. Sometimes it takes a while to get through them, but I've never understood not having the desire to read.

I'm not saying this is widespread, but many of the people I know that don't read, including successful-types, just seem, well, not very intellectually curious--beyond work and family, most don't seem to pay any attention to the world around them.

...just my experience.

Old 09-19-2009, 09:02 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,384,156 times
If you visit any library these days, the majority of people inside them aren't even reading. Not the books anyway. Most of the adults are on the internet and the kids are playing computer games.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,782,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fruitlassie View Post
I read about 95% nonfiction and I probably watch at least 50% documentaries compared to other movies. I was a huge fiction reader as a kid, but as an adult, it seems much harder to find fiction that is both well-written and engaging. When I go to Borders, I see tables full of superficial chick lit, pretentious-sounding literary fiction, trash like Dan Brown, Twilight and so on. I'm sure there are hidden gems in there, but often the covers themselves are such a turnoff that it doesn't seem worth sifting through the garbage. It's also a time issue. I can manage about a book a week at best and I'd rather spend it on, say, a biography of someone who fascinates me than take the risk on a novel which may or may not have any redeeming value.
+1 on that!

The last fiction I have read was some books by Yasunari Kawabata a few years ago (both in English translation and in the original Japanese). Otherwise, I basically only read non-fiction (love diplomatic, intelligence, Asian and baseball history especially) when I have time, but I also have other hobbies that keep me occupied, too.

Old 09-20-2009, 04:33 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,720,757 times
My SO is very capable of reading, but he doesn't like to and probably hasn't picked up a book since high school. He doesn't even like to read comic books, but said he did as a kid and that he enjoyed books like Lord of the Rings as a kid. His excuse is usually that after a long day at work he wants to relax, no read.

He's usually interested in what I'm reading at the time though and seems to enjoy it when I share bits of what I'm reading with him, and he'll read news articles online occasionally. He just won't read books.

He's probably the only person I really know who has such an aversion to reading, and sometimes I find it a little frustrating.

My dad on the other hand, tries to read too many books at once, gets confused about which books is which and which character is from which, and then gives up and doesn't finish any of them for a while. Then he'll avoid reading for a little bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books