Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2009, 11:04 AM

3,092 posts, read 4,973,500 times

Advertisements

I've read a lot of books but shockingly no Stephen King (GASP!). What do some of you veterans suggest for a Stephen King novice like me to start with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2009, 11:27 AM

4,306 posts, read 13,476,222 times
I don't know that it really matters. I started off with The Shining, moved onto Carrie and then pretty much read everything he wrote until Rose Madder (except for Dolores Claiborne). I liked Salem's Lot, It, Thinner, Christine, The Stand, Needful Things and The Tommyknockers a lot.

Old 10-02-2009, 11:33 AM

188 posts, read 423,966 times
I feel that a good way to do it is to read them in the chronological order in which they were written, and save the Dark Tower series for the end.

Old 10-02-2009, 02:06 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,539,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJAnsia View Post
I feel that a good way to do it is to read them in the chronological order in which they were written, and save the Dark Tower series for the end.
I was thinking the opposite. The Dark Tower series is Stephen King without all the really nasty evil supernatural beings. The evil is all tangible. And it's a wonderful way to learn SK's style.
However, if one finds they don't like the style, a 7 book series would not be a good place to start.
So, to the OP... just pick any book and read it. Some are good but most are fantastic reading (if you enjoy gory and scared). And, happy reading!

Old 10-02-2009, 02:49 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,376,907 times
Cujo

Old 10-02-2009, 04:38 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,731 times
I'm no veteran of Stephen King but I read Carrie, Firestarter and Cycle of the Werewolf not that long ago. I think I may have read Cujo like 20 years ago but I'm not certain. You may like Firestarter so I'd recommend that one.

Old 10-02-2009, 04:56 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
I'm not a devotee and horror isn't my usual genre so, that said, my favorites of his are The Dark Tower Series (you can just read the first one and be happy with it) and Skeleton Crew - a collection of short stories.

My husband said The Shining is the first and only book that ever scared him. So if you're into that, go for it

Old 10-02-2009, 05:49 PM

7,005 posts, read 21,344,116 times
Silver Bullet.

Old 10-02-2009, 07:30 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,352,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I was thinking the opposite. The Dark Tower series is Stephen King without all the really nasty evil supernatural beings. The evil is all tangible. And it's a wonderful way to learn SK's style.
However, if one finds they don't like the style, a 7 book series would not be a good place to start.
So, to the OP... just pick any book and read it. Some are good but most are fantastic reading (if you enjoy gory and scared). And, happy reading!
IDK, it's pretty hard to start off w/ The Dark Tower series when so much of it references his other works. I agree that series should be put off until the end, or at least until the books referenced are read.

I would suggest starting out w/ the short story collections, in particular Different Seasons. this is the collection that contains some of his most well know, non-horror genre based stories: "The Body" (the movie Stand by Me), "Rita Hayworth and the Shawshank Redemption", "Apt Pupil", and "The Breathing Method". some other short story collections to look into include Skeleton Crew (which includes the story "The Mist" that the movie was based off of, along w/ some other awesome stories like "The Raft" and "Flexible Bullet"), Everything's Eventual ("1408" is in this one) and 4 Past Midnight ("The Langoliers" and "Secret Window").

after that, anything is up for grabs, though I much prefer his pre-accident works as compared to his post-accident work. one thing I can say is that I would personally not bother w/ Insomnia or Bag of Bones, but hey, that's just me. I would suggest reading Eyes of the Dragon, which is never bought up as much but is a fun book to read. mainly medieval fantasy, but it features a character that pops up in the DT series

Old 10-02-2009, 07:32 PM

18,950 posts, read 11,600,412 times
Ya, actually Different Seasons is my favorite short story collection of his - forgot the title earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books