Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2009, 06:18 AM

837 posts, read 1,710,968 times

Advertisements

Has any one read "The Lacuna"? I have loved all of Kingsolver' earlier books. (Did think her"Animal, Vegetable Miracle" was a little preachy, but liked it.)

"The Lacuna" is about a young man (or boy?) who lived in Mexico with Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo at a time when Trotsky, also there, was killed. I'm not sure this really sounds interesting to me, on the other hand, it's Barbara Kingsolver. But, just read a mixed review in The New Yorker. Shall I buy this or not?

If you've read it, let me know what you thought of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 06:08 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,325,155 times
I have The Lacuna in my grubby mitts but have not started it yet. I got waylaid by Alas, Babylon and now by Marlen Haushofer's The Wall. Both are excellent books. I literally could not put down Alas, Babylon and now I can't put down The Wall. It's really a good thing that I am retired.

Waiting on my desk are Deception Point by Dan Brown-which is a techno thriller and has nothing to do with Jesus or Rome. Plus, Olive Ketteridge by Elizabeth Stout and The Girl in the Italian Bakery by Kenneth Tingle.

So many books. So little time.

I first heard about several of these books in this forum and I am forever grateful for the leads. So far they have been good reads.

Old 12-06-2009, 08:44 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,872 times
Love love love Kingsolver.

I just ordered Animal Vegetable Mineral...I like her politics, so I probably will like the "preachyness".

I didn't know there was a new book of her, thanks for the heads-up!

Old 12-07-2009, 04:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
I have The Lacuna in my grubby mitts but have not started it yet. I got waylaid by Alas, Babylon and now by Marlen Haushofer's The Wall. Both are excellent books. I literally could not put down Alas, Babylon and now I can't put down The Wall. It's really a good thing that I am retired.

Waiting on my desk are Deception Point by Dan Brown-which is a techno thriller and has nothing to do with Jesus or Rome. Plus, Olive Ketteridge by Elizabeth Stout and The Girl in the Italian Bakery by Kenneth Tingle.

So many books. So little time.

I first heard about several of these books in this forum and I am forever grateful for the leads. So far they have been good reads.
Olive Ketteridge is very good. And "Abide With Me", also by Elizabeth Strout, is one of my favorites (out of a long list of favorites). I'll keep my eyes peeled for Alas, Babylon and The Wall.

Old 12-07-2009, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolagranola View Post
Love love love Kingsolver.

I just ordered Animal Vegetable Mineral...I like her politics, so I probably will like the "preachyness".

I didn't know there was a new book of her, thanks for the heads-up!
Well, I like her politics too, and I agree with her ideas about food--I just don't happen to be able to afford a farm, so I can grow my own dinner. Even farmer's markets are quite a drive from my current home.

I will say that I appreciate the message she (and others) are promoting about our food supply. (Just watched the DVD of Food, Inc. yesterday). Still, I thought she was a bit strident in the A,V,M book.

Old 12-10-2009, 12:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeluvr View Post
Well, I like her politics too, and I agree with her ideas about food--I just don't happen to be able to afford a farm, so I can grow my own dinner. Even farmer's markets are quite a drive from my current home.

I will say that I appreciate the message she (and others) are promoting about our food supply. (Just watched the DVD of Food, Inc. yesterday). Still, I thought she was a bit strident in the A,V,M book.
I know what you mean.
I began AVM and her writing style was as good as ever but still, it felt a bit self-serving, almost like reading a vanity blog. I couldn't finish the book.
And now Jonathan Safoer (author of Everything is Illuminated) has a book out called Eating Animals.
It all seemed to begin with Michael Pollan's book, The Omnivore's Dilemma, and I am sure there are more to come.
I actually liked Pollan's book.

Prodigal Summer is my favorite Kingsolver; I've read all her other ones.
But I didn't even know she had a new book out.

I will second the thumbs-up for Olive Kitteridge!

Old 12-14-2009, 06:19 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
im sorry to say I cannot get into kingsolver at all . I have tried and tried all of her recent ones including the poisonwood bible .

Old 12-15-2009, 03:27 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
im sorry to say I cannot get into kingsolver at all . I have tried and tried all of her recent ones including the poisonwood bible .
That was the one I liked least.
But I always seemed to be in the minority.
Everyone else seemed to like it best.

Old 12-15-2009, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
That was the one I liked least.
But I always seemed to be in the minority.
Everyone else seemed to like it best.
Yep, my favorite was Poisonwood Bible. And I really liked Michael Pollan's "Omnivore's Dilemma." His writings very different from Kingsolver's--lots of research, meant to inform. I'm sure Kingsolver does a fair amount of research, also, to get her novels right, but with a different purpose.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:29 PM

571 posts, read 1,049,957 times
"The Lacuna" is on my list to buy... I can hardly wait to read it as I have enjoyed all of Kingsolver's other books. I have to say that Prodigal Summer is my favorite Kingsolver... I lose myself in her books... wonderful!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books