Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2009, 10:51 AM

3 posts, read 8,261 times

Advertisements

Moved to Boston area a couple of years ago. Is it my imagination or do the grocery stores here offer shoppers a less satisfying experience (at higher prices) than other cities? I've lived in the midwest, northwest, west coast and NYC. Am I alone in my disappointment with local stores? Heard Wegmans is coming but not near me...I am just east of Newton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2009, 11:18 AM

12,874 posts, read 22,050,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by practicalkate View Post
Moved to Boston area a couple of years ago. Is it my imagination or do the grocery stores here offer shoppers a less satisfying experience (at higher prices) than other cities? I've lived in the midwest, northwest, west coast and NYC. Am I alone in my disappointment with local stores? Heard Wegmans is coming but not near me...I am just east of Newton.
Not alone at all. Shaws is terrible. Stop and Shop is iffy at best. I don't care for Star Market either. If I were you I'd find the closest Trader Joe's as that's far and away the best in the area. Hannaford Brothers (based in Maine but with MA locations) is also a good choice for reasonable prices and better selection. If you're on the South Shore or can make it down once in a while, try Trucchi's in Abington, Bridgewater or Taunton depending on what's closer. No frills, but good meats and produce at good prices.

I've never been to Wegmans but only hear good things. Where are they going?

Old 10-01-2009, 12:23 PM

3 posts, read 8,261 times
Default groceryitis

Wegmans is opening in Northborough in 2010 and Westwood sometime after that.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:13 PM

226 posts, read 588,932 times
I've just moved to Boston and am LOVING it, but I have to say that the grocery situation here is just a couple of steps up from convenience store hell in terms of quality, selection and price. Whole Foods looks like a deal if only because the produce is fairly good quality (and you know things are bad when you can use "deal" and "Whole Foods" in the same sentence!). Quite seriously, I am curious as to how things got this bad. Bostonians seem to have high standards in other aspects of livability--why drop the ball on food (and drop it in such a spectacular manner)? Is the rest of New England this way?

Old 06-02-2010, 07:00 AM

613 posts, read 2,308,642 times
Wegmans is fantastic! I'd go out of my way to shop there.

I'm not a huge fan of Shaw's/Star but I like Roche Bros. and the larger, suburban Stop N' Shop stores are pretty good.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:03 AM

420 posts, read 1,369,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
I've just moved to Boston and am LOVING it, but I have to say that the grocery situation here is just a couple of steps up from convenience store hell in terms of quality, selection and price. Whole Foods looks like a deal if only because the produce is fairly good quality (and you know things are bad when you can use "deal" and "Whole Foods" in the same sentence!). Quite seriously, I am curious as to how things got this bad. Bostonians seem to have high standards in other aspects of livability--why drop the ball on food (and drop it in such a spectacular manner)? Is the rest of New England this way?

Yeah its pretty horrible. So, I buy my packaged goods from shaws, and my produce and meats from whole foods. Its a bigger strain on the wallet, but well worth it to replace what they try to sell you at star/shaws.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:58 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,482,084 times
Everytime I ever bought slice roast beef from that Star Market in the Fenway it turned green in my fridge in a matter of days. I eventually gave up on that dietary item unless I got it from Whole Foods.

Regarding Whole Foods, the Beacon Hill Whole Foods buffet is better than any one I have seen anywhere, and when you factor in the Breakfast Buffet they serve, they rule!

Old 06-02-2010, 12:16 PM

2,312 posts, read 7,529,235 times
I agree, food shopping is tough around here. There are some cute russian markets in Newton, like Bazaar right behind Filene's Basement.

There is two-store chain called The Fruit Center that has locations in Milton and Hingham. I've been to the one in Hingham and it's fantastic--great meat and seafood markets within. So of course a national chain, Fresh Market has to open up half a mile away on 3A to compete. The Fruit Center withstood the attack of the gigantic Whole Foods at the Derby Street Shops, so it has a loyal clientele. But too far for daily shopping.

I am surprised there aren't better fancy markets/butchers/fish markets in Newton and Wellesley. I keep thinking I must be missing something.

There is a market in Brookline, Allendale Farms, the last working farm in Boston. I've never been, so I don't know exactly what they carry (produce, I imagine).

I wind up going to Whole Foods in Brighton and Shoppy Shoppe (the worst Stop n' Shop on the planet) in Brookline for lack of anything better. DH swears by Roche Brothers in W. Roxbury, but I'm not schlepping all the way down there.

Old 06-02-2010, 02:02 PM

2,954 posts, read 12,308,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tombstoner View Post
I'd say this is more of an issue in the city.

I'm actually amused by all the comments because, after years in NYC, I think the local Shaw's, etc., are big, clean and cheap. You should see the dumps I had to grocery shop in.

I guess I'll file grocery stores in with cost of housing, taxes, parking and traffic as "Things people don't like about Boston but which seem like paradise to me after NYC."

Old 06-02-2010, 02:44 PM

2,154 posts, read 4,427,773 times
This is my one concern since we are moving to MA. Didn't see a single decent grocery store where we would feel comfortable doing all of our grocery shopping in one place. Guess we will be making the 26mile drive to Trader Joes in Warwick or the 21 mile drive to Providence to go to Whole Foods
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston