Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2010, 08:40 AM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by readymade View Post
The REAL problem is that it's called "Saugus."

It's something I never really thought about until we drove there (The Continental on Rt. 1. Friggin' AWESOME!) and my husband was all "Wait. You're kidding, right? SAUGUS?! There's a town called SAUGUS?! Sogggy Soggy SOGGY!"

Sigh.
How old is your husband?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 AM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
How old is your husband?
Mentally or physically?

Actually, we just really like/hate words in general, and make fun of them all the time. Certain names/words (like Saugus or Nahant) are just weirder/funnier than others (again, having grown up near them, it's not something I'd ever thought of before). Heck, we USED to live one town over from Oxnard (CA). You should have heard us then! (our friends call it "The 'Nard," heh)

This morning, he made fun of me because he noticed a cereal I'd bought called "Puffin's."

Old 07-27-2010, 11:31 AM

29 posts, read 83,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiraziman View Post
What's the catch?
Is it a bad area?
Bad school district?
What's the deal?
The schools are questionable. This may sound funny but I think the main reason for low property prices in Malden is that Malden inexplicably got hit with the ugly stick. I've been all over Malden and I can't think of a part of Malden that I would call pretty.

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-27-2010 at 12:30 PM.. Reason: realtor advertisement

Old 07-27-2010, 06:00 PM

2,261 posts, read 7,230,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffPersons View Post
The schools are questionable. This may sound funny but I think the main reason for low property prices in Malden is that Malden inexplicably got hit with the ugly stick. I've been all over Malden and I can't think of a part of Malden that I would call pretty.
I'm about as anti-Malden as they come, but even I can admit that the area around the reservoir is very pretty.

Old 07-27-2010, 07:03 PM

3,973 posts, read 5,765,155 times
Malden has never been the most glamorous of places. I spent 51/2 years of my childhood there from grades one to six and can assure you hardly anyone is rich there (except perhaps my first grade teacher who drove a nice car and always bought snacks for usfile:///C:/Users/stommee/AppData/Local/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png (broken link)). In recent years, many new immigrants moved in and diversified the place, which unfortunately scared off other people. This might explain why property prices remain lower than other areas. I'd say Everett, Chelsea, and Revere are cheaper though.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:37 PM

24 posts, read 109,930 times
I live in Malden. I don't think its a bad place. Decent housing and neighborhoods. If I made enough money to live by myself, I'd probably continue to live here.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:16 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,989 times
The reason houses are so cheap in Malden is because it's a pig sty. You couldn't pay me to live in that dump.

Old 07-29-2010, 10:49 PM

146 posts, read 393,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RC1981 View Post
The reason houses are so cheap in Malden is because it's a pig sty. You couldn't pay me to live in that dump.
Seriously is it that bad? Is it high in crime rate? What makes it a dump?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:52 PM

594 posts, read 1,633,989 times
^^^ It's not really that bad of a place, it's just ugly. Not really dangerous or anything, just kind of slummy and cheap.

Old 07-31-2010, 02:24 AM

2,947 posts, read 5,185,254 times
I don't care for parts of Malden (or Quincy where I've rented for 6 yrs.) But it's not bad at all. Maybe the poster above was on target by saying too many new ethnicities have scared some away.

Hey, some parts of Newton, Brookline and Winchester have basic-looking homes.

Malden has nice summer landscaping on Centre St. and on Main near Salem St. in recent years. Nothing as nice in Quincy.

Niice Victorian houses here and there. Near the Middlesex Fells.

Again. Not bad at all, and I'm unreasonably picky.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston