Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2017, 09:52 PM

6 posts, read 9,670 times

Advertisements

I don't mean to be a hater but I think Boston needs to be building more homes double time. More people seem to be moving to the city and homes prices are going through the roof. I want homeowners to see their properties appreciate in value but not to the point where new homeowners can't afford any homes. Once you move past I95 and I93 there are large open areas that can easily be developed and made into subdivisions and apartment complexes. Building more T stops and commuter rail stops in these areas will make commuting into the city easier for people who are willing to move past the interstate to buy a home. I don't want to see Boston turn into a San Francisco 2.0 in terms of home prices. Boston should learn from metros such as Dallas-Ft. Worth and begin planning better. It is possible to have a large city and affordable housing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2017, 10:08 PM

37,160 posts, read 39,441,390 times
Basically, make the North-South Rail Link happen and then the more distant areas (but still close by, just difficult to get around because of the old layout of the cities which this would circumvent) become short trips for work and living and all those areas then become sensible to develop higher density housing.

Old 01-11-2017, 10:13 PM

4,848 posts, read 11,818,891 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyytrewq01943 View Post
I don't mean to be a hater but I think Boston needs to be building more homes double time. More people seem to be moving to the city and homes prices are going through the roof. I want homeowners to see their properties appreciate in value but not to the point where new homeowners can't afford any homes. Once you move past I95 and I93 there are large open areas that can easily be developed and made into subdivisions and apartment complexes. Building more T stops and commuter rail stops in these areas will make commuting into the city easier for people who are willing to move past the interstate to buy a home. I don't want to see Boston turn into a San Francisco 2.0 in terms of home prices. Boston should learn from metros such as Dallas-Ft. Worth and begin planning better. It is possible to have a large city and affordable housing.
Learn from Dallas? Why would we want a sprawling suburban environment with a thousand subdivisions that all look the same and strip malls every mile? Also, downtown Dallas is a joke and doesn't even compare to Providence, let alone Boston.

Old 01-12-2017, 06:42 AM

41,936 posts, read 36,989,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parsec View Post
Learn from Dallas? Why would we want a sprawling suburban environment with a thousand subdivisions that all look the same and strip malls every mile? Also, downtown Dallas is a joke and doesn't even compare to Providence, let alone Boston.
Seriously, its one on the worst large cities for living in the Country. Not something to emulate. And we can't emulate it, as we don't have places to sprawl to.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:32 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
There's not a whole lot of space!! seems like everyone in the state wants to be right near boston and this is already a congested area. Look at the roads, look at the MBTA. I dont want this place to be the next China.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:45 AM

3,689 posts, read 7,435,107 times
If homes are built beyond I95 and I93 then they are not in the city of Boston, are they? Where, in particular, are you suggesting? I can assure you that if a residential developer believes there is money to be made by building homes in a particular location, then they have already considered it or it is under current consideration.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:00 AM

24,559 posts, read 18,281,854 times
If you draw a semicircle extending about 5 miles beyond Route 128 and within 5 miles of the limited access highways up to 40 miles outside of the city, Boston is pretty much completely built out. If you want more housing, you have to tear something else down first. That's not how you get affordable housing. Anything you tear down is going to be replaced with something much more expensive.

The problem with Boston is that public transportation is a hub. If you're going to Back Bay, South Station, or North Station, fine. That doesn't help if you have a job on 128 or a job that's more than a mile from those three transportation hubs. At a minimum, Boston needs elevated light rail running down the median strip of 128 so you can get the people to where the jobs are without needing a car. You then need to dramatically improve commuter rail so the trains largely run 120 mph. That extends the hub out to 60 miles and brings places like Worcester, New Bedford, and Fall River into play as places where commuters can live without having a soul-crushing commute.

Since that's not going to happen, all we're going to see is continued gentrification of the iffy parts of metro-Boston that are on the major inner commuter arteries. I remember when Somerville was a dump. Not today. The trend is that anywhere that isn't public housing is going to gentrify because it's the only way you can get to work.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:27 AM

2,440 posts, read 4,841,716 times
One thing that comes to mind is replacing older, less dense housing with newer, denser housing. That used to happen routinely, up until the Depression of the 1930s. All those 3-story walkup brick apartments around Coolidge Corner and Allston, or in the Elm Hill Ave / Grove Hall area of Roxbury, or in Cambridge, were built on already developed sites. The builders bought up older houses, tore them down, and put up buildings. Most of them aren't even high end buildings, just regular apartments, but at the time the economics worked without any governmental assistance or tax incentives or anything. Same in the North End-- in the 1890s-1900s, all those brick walkups were built by private builders for immigrants, and they all replaced older smaller dwellings. Now we're in a very different place and no one wants to see older frame houses give way to apartment buildings, especially in the more choice locales. One thing that can work is to redevelop shopping centers, which use huge amounts of space very lightly, and there are so many of them. Like the little Nobscot center in northern Framingham-- the 1950s era sign came down recently; don't know what's in store for the place but a site like that could easily accommodate residential plus shopping plus parking.

Old 01-12-2017, 09:37 AM

3,268 posts, read 3,326,179 times
I agree on the gentrification. I know we've seen a lot of it over the years and while i continue to be surprised at some of the areas that have gentrified, it still surprises me that certain areas still haven't gentrified.

It will not be sustainable to continue to just stack more houses in the already nice areas. Personally I dont think that's fair to the people that already live there.

Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 AM

2,726 posts, read 6,116,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertyytrewq01943 View Post
Once you move past I95 and I93 there are large open areas that can easily be developed and made into subdivisions and apartment complexes.

Please, no. If you can't afford the Boston metro, look elsewhere. But leave the open wooded areas alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston