Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2011, 12:35 PM

40 posts, read 108,046 times

Advertisements

All I've had my Mass Liquor ID for the past 5 years and it expires next month. I dont drive or do i plan to drive so i wont be getting a driver's license.

I'm trying to get info on how to renew, the RMV's website doesnt great info on Liquor IDs and i dont want to call into the RMV and wait in line for hour to get info, so i said i'll chance my arm here.

I tried renewing online but after i put all my info it said i couldnt renew (no explaination).

I only use my Liquor ID to go to bars so i dont have to bring my passport out. Am i ok going out with an expired ID? i presume only Nazi bouncers would refuse me because its expired.

Also can i renew my ID before it expires? or do i have to wait for it to expire to renew?

Also should i get a Mass ID as opposed to a Liqour ID?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM

2,722 posts, read 6,109,727 times
How old is the picture? I think you can only renew ounce online, keeping the same picture, until you need to have it updated.

If any bouncer see's the ID has expired, they won't take it. Don't even bother. You'd be better off with a valid MA ID. I used one for a year, and the only spots had I a problem at were The Tam and The Garden. No one else seemed to care. Although I was 35 at the time, so that may have helped.

Old 03-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Clavin View Post
How old is the picture? I think you can only renew ounce online, keeping the same picture, until you need to have it updated.

If any bouncer see's the ID has expired, they won't take it. Don't even bother. You'd be better off with a valid MA ID. I used one for a year, and the only spots had I a problem at were The Tam and The Garden. No one else seemed to care. Although I was 35 at the time, so that may have helped.
Cheers Cliff.

The pic is 5 years old.

You had a problem using the Mass ID or Liqour ID in the Tam or Garden?

I go to the Tam a good bit and the Garden, i never had any problems with the Liquor ID in those two places...i've never had any problems using the Liquor ID anywhere.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_dot1985 View Post
You had a problem using the Mass ID or Liqour ID in the Tam or Garden?
Mass ID.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 AM

1,949 posts, read 4,420,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by s_dot1985 View Post
All I've had my Mass Liquor ID for the past 5 years and it expires next month. I dont drive or do i plan to drive so i wont be getting a driver's license.

I'm trying to get info on how to renew, the RMV's website doesnt great info on Liquor IDs and i dont want to call into the RMV and wait in line for hour to get info, so i said i'll chance my arm here.

I tried renewing online but after i put all my info it said i couldnt renew (no explaination).

I only use my Liquor ID to go to bars so i dont have to bring my passport out. Am i ok going out with an expired ID? i presume only Nazi bouncers would refuse me because its expired.

Also can i renew my ID before it expires? or do i have to wait for it to expire to renew?

Also should i get a Mass ID as opposed to a Liqour ID?
I'd spend the extra $$ and get a liscense, who cares if your not going to drive. If you live in a area that it's been working for you, I guess your ok. But most bars and liquor stores give a really hard time or refuse both MA ID's and Liquor ID's which is obviously crap. Then they blame it on the State. I was refused to be served with an expired Lic, like I got younger when it expired. It's pathetic, just a power trip and cheap thrill to screw with people.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:41 AM

158 posts, read 545,653 times
You cant renew online if you owe money to the state somehow. Do you not want a driver's license because you are prohibited for legal reasons? If so, that may somehow affected the liquor ID.

The system is byzantine. They only thing they are good at doing is rapidly knowing you owe tickets or fines. I had a problem the last time I got my license renewed for an out of state issue that I resolved five years earlier when I renewed my license.

Old 03-30-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lukec View Post
You cant renew online if you owe money to the state somehow. Do you not want a driver's license because you are prohibited for legal reasons? If so, that may somehow affected the liquor ID.

The system is byzantine. They only thing they are good at doing is rapidly knowing you owe tickets or fines. I had a problem the last time I got my license renewed for an out of state issue that I resolved five years earlier when I renewed my license.
I dont owe the state any money that i know off.

If i wanted a driver's license, i presume i'd have to a practical and theory tests correct? tbh that would just be hassle.

I'll probably just renew my liqour id, since its never caused me any problems when i go out and i go out a lot.

Also, does anybody know if i need to let my ID expire before i can get a new one or can i renew a month beforehand?

Thanks again.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:14 AM

You can renew at anytime. They're more than happy to take your money.

Old 03-30-2011, 10:08 AM

2,271 posts, read 5,146,000 times
Mass is a fairly strict state when it comes to alcohol.

As stated before, a Mass Driver's License or Mass Liquor ID (not a Mass ID) are 2 (of 4 items) that are valid forms of identification (if there is ever to be a defense used in a court of law).
Each licensee is allowed to decide for itself what is acceptable identification, and, per Liquor Control Act, policy for checking identification.
>>> http://www.mass.gov/abcc/faqs.htm#j2

I work for a store that sells liquor/wine, and you have no idea how upset people get when I tell them I can't sell them alcohol. One little guy had just turned 21 the day before, and his ID had expired the day before, as much as I felt bad for him, I had to refuse the sale. As the cashier, my own butt is on the line, and I'm not losing my job, and/or getting the store's license suspended...

I personally have a Mass ID and it works most places for me, but I have been denied before, so I understand both sides.

Old 04-14-2016, 10:39 AM

15,793 posts, read 20,483,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theSUBlime View Post
Mass is a fairly strict state when it comes to alcohol.

As stated before, a Mass Driver's License or Mass Liquor ID (not a Mass ID) are 2 (of 4 items) that are valid forms of identification (if there is ever to be a defense used in a court of law).
Each licensee is allowed to decide for itself what is acceptable identification, and, per Liquor Control Act, policy for checking identification.
>>> Massachusetts Alcoholic Beverages Control Commission (ABCC)

I once got caught without my driver's license buying some wine for dinner (kid loves to pull my wallet apart and misplace things) and presented my Firearm LTC as form of ID. Nope, couldn't use it despite being a state issued ID and infinitely more difficult to get than any of the other MA state ID's acceptable for liquor purchase. I left without wine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston