Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 11:24 AM

14 posts, read 86,512 times

Advertisements

Hello all,

I've been cruising this site for the past couple weeks. It's really a great way to get an insider's view of life in other parts of the country.

But anyway, as the title says...I miss Boston. I left Boston in September '06 and went to Oregon. Was there for four months and felt I needed to move on. I found a good job in San Francisco and that's where I reside now. I have been here for a little over a month. While I know things are still new and I need to give it some time to get a better feel for the area, I KNOW, that in my heart I miss Boston. I went to high school in MA, college in Boston, and started working in Boston before I left.

What does this all mean? I don't know. I think I am just ranting here, but I'm sure some of you who love Boston will understand. Yes, the winters are cold, and the summers are humid, but nothing beats New England in the fall.

Will I return? Who knows...I'm going to give this job a year to have it on the resume and reevaluate from there. I think I know there will always be a chance though that I return to the Hub!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2007, 11:47 AM

I suppose I should have thrown a question in to my original post to get a response.

That being said....Anyone else move away from Boston and now wish they were back?

Old 03-04-2007, 03:45 PM

80 posts, read 477,581 times
I moved to Boston from Atlanta 2 years ago, very happy here, it is really a great place.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:26 PM

15 posts, read 69,733 times
Oh my gosh, yes, I miss Boston. I moved to Charlotte 4 years ago after being born and raised in the Boston area/Quincy/South Shore. Love it, miss it, sigh over it...but all in all, I can go back and visit and enjoy everything that I love, several times a year, e.g., fresh seafood joints to choose from, entertainment in the city, Fenway Park, the North End, Plymouth strolls along the waterfront, Cape Cod...I could go on and on as you know. But it is WAY too expensive, unfortunately. So after being away for 4 years, my husband and I have come to the conclusion that for day to day living, and for the incredibly inexpensive housing and great business opportunity here in Charlotte, we wouldn't go back--never mind I probably couldn't afford to move back and live the lifestyle that I am used to here. But that doesn't mean I love it there any less--I probably love it there now even more, now that I don't have daily access to all that the area offers. It is an incredible place full of entertainment, good food, early American history, culture, and unique accents...I could go on and on. So in a nutshell, I know EXACTLY how you feel!

Old 04-03-2007, 02:37 PM

283 posts, read 990,493 times
Do you miss THIS?
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/forecast/Map...te=MA&site=BOX

Old 04-04-2007, 08:51 AM

702 posts, read 3,011,098 times
I prefer this forecast

Old 04-06-2007, 09:10 PM

345 posts, read 1,578,626 times
don't know if this counts, i miss boston, grew up there, am now just in the suburbs!!! i stll miss it!!!

Old 04-08-2007, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveV View Post
I wouldn't say I miss the snow or the cold. I do miss having four distinct seasons. Living here in San Francisco has completely thrown me off because the so called winter was in the 50's with some rain and some sunny days, but you never know what you will get. As of late we have had only a couple sunny days and a ton of foggy days. If you have never been to San Francisco, you have never seen what fog is. It's unbelievable. When I wake up in the morning the first thing I think is, "wow. I bet it is super foggy out." Sure enough it is. This lasts all the way through June & July. Summer here is not warm & nice like other parts of the county.

So with all of that said, yes New England has a lot of crappy aspects in regards to weather, but at least you know what you are getting there. I have yet to figure out what kind of weather I am getting here in Northern California, and it honestly bugs the hell out of me.

Old 04-09-2007, 06:16 AM

14,492 posts, read 26,601,012 times
Thumbs up Yes-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravesox34 View Post
I suppose I should have thrown a question in to my original post to get a response.

That being said....Anyone else move away from Boston and now wish they were back?
I lived in the Back Bay area for grad school; it was the most beautiful city; alot to do! Newbury Street; The Public Garden -spring with the swan boats and fall. Taking the "T" to Cambridge and just visiting all the used bookshops. Walden Pond. I still loved the winter- rememeber the ice storm?

I never felt that way about other cities, and hope to make it back there someday.

sunny

Old 04-09-2007, 08:50 PM

19 posts, read 104,863 times
Default Some advice

I moved to Palo Alto from Cambridge and stayed 8 years. Then to Oregon for 5 years. Then back to the SFBA for another 4 years. All the while, I hoped to move back to Boston. I finally did ~5 1/2 years ago. I am so glad I finally made it back.

Here's some advice: Don't wait 17 years to move back. Have a West Coast experience for a couple of years. If you are still a Bostonian after that, then move back. It will never change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston