Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2007, 09:31 AM

3 posts, read 16,603 times

Advertisements

Hi - I'm looking to move to Boston within the next year or so. Ideally, I'd like to live in the city, but not sure i can afford it. I figured if I could live just outside of the city it may be more affordable. I want to be able to get into the city easily. Any suggestions on some cool neighborhoods for this 30 and single gal? Thanks! JLM

Last edited by Jenlm77; 10-21-2007 at 09:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 PM

1 posts, read 6,625 times
I have Lived in Boston My entire Life! so I hope this info will will help.Boston is pretty much a tourist trap But if your going to move here or look to Try. find a town close to A Train or Bus. on the Bus or subway you can pretty much get to with in 20 mile or more radius of the city! and as far as town's go Boston is in suffolk's county, and touches's middle-sex county on one side and essex county on the other To give you a Idea. in each county there's a least 20 town's .I'm trying not to sound Racist but like most cities including Boston! East Boston is Spanish, some of Dorchester and all of Roxbury is Black, north end of Boston is Italain and the south end is gay,and south boston is Irish and ChinaTown that's Boston! what you might try is Revere mass. Close to the subway, Logan Air Port,the ocean, it's less than ten mile's from Boston you can take the subway home, and being near the ocean theres a lot of Beaches, also a Dog track,and horse track. and it's safe to live there and there's a couple of other cities you might want to check out That's Malden,Medford. Idon't know to much about either of town but I don't here or read any-thing about them either But check out Revere mass it's Right After east Boston.

Last edited by Overbusy; 10-22-2007 at 08:52 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 01:42 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,347,968 times
ok, so I read and reread the OP's original post, and NO WHERE did the OP ask for a (oversimplified) racial breakdown of Boston's neighborhoods. NO neighborhood in Boston is 100% white/black/Irish/gay/whatever. yes, some races/ethnicities do tend to clump together in certain neighborhoods, but Boston is a quickly gentrifying college town and yuppies, "urban pioneers", and college students are scattered throughout every single neighborhood, regardless of race. so why even bring up this non issue?

to the OP: what exactly is your budget. the areas of Boston (and Cambridge, since it's so close to Boston) with the most nightlife and may suit you include: Kenmore/Fenway (though it's mostly popular w/ rowdy undergrads), JP, South End/Back Bay, Central Sq., Allston, Porter/Davis Sq., Harvard Sq, Coolidge Corner, and right downtown/North End. these neighborhoods all vary wildly in prices and what they offer, so more info would be needed from you to narrow the field. what's your budget? are you more into clubbing, museums, fine dining, bohemian lifestyles, underground bands, etc?

Old 10-23-2007, 07:34 PM

3 posts, read 16,603 times
Hi eevee,
I'm looking for a 2 bedroom apt for about $1600 max. I don't want to live in a mainly residential area, but greenery and parks, etc would be nice. Pubs, restaurants, shops, coffee shops, etc in my neighborhood would be ideal. Nothing too stuffy. Someplace that has a young and lively vibe - mainly late 20-early 30 year olds. I definitely want a place that has easy access into the city.

In doing my research so far, the following neighborhoods sound appealing: Somerville, Arlington, Newton, Cambridge, JP, Chelsea, Revere, Newton, Brookline. Any thoughts on these?

Thanks!
JLM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston