Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2013, 11:40 AM

503 posts, read 598,283 times

Advertisements

It's cost of living is almost as high as NYC or SF, yet doesn't offer nearly as many things to do. It's more expensive than Chicago, which has tons more offerings in every category (restaurants, music, museums, etc). It just seems way overpriced for what it offers... which is comparatively little compared to other similarly-priced US cities (like SF and NYC).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2013, 11:54 AM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Sort of an easy question to answer if you have even the most basic comprehension of simple economics. Supply and Demand. Boston's strong job market, good schools, low unemployment, and low crime make it very desirable for many people. The demand for homes in the area in relation to the supply is fairly high. That's why Boston is as expensive as it is. If people didn't think Boston "offered" much, demand would be lower and the price would be lower. It's not all that difficult to understand.

Obviously Boston isn't as big as NYC or Chicago, but Boston and SF are in the same tier. I'm quite familiar with both Boston and San Francisco and I'm curious as to what you think SF "offers" that Boston doesn't? Given the fact that they're so comparable and that SF is quite a bit pricier, I would argue that SF is the more overpriced of the two by a good margin.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:01 PM

503 posts, read 598,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrfox View Post
Obviously Boston isn't as big as NYC or Chicago, but Boston and SF are in the same tier. I'm quite familiar with both Boston and San Francisco and I'm curious as to what you think SF "offers" that Boston doesn't? Given the fact that they're so comparable and that SF is quite a bit pricier, I would argue that SF is the more overpriced of the two by a good margin.
More diversity, better food, better weather, bigger Chinatown, Japantown, more beautiful natural surroundings, better suburbs, proximity to great getaways (Lake Tahoe), more street vibrancy, higher density, better shopping (Union Square), etc.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:14 PM

3,755 posts, read 4,801,148 times
Do you live in SF?

Old 05-19-2013, 12:21 PM

12,863 posts, read 22,026,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
More diversity, better food, better weather, bigger Chinatown, Japantown, more beautiful natural surroundings, better suburbs, proximity to great getaways (Lake Tahoe), more street vibrancy, higher density, better shopping (Union Square), etc.
Most of what you're saying is incredibly subjective. I would argue that Boston has better "getaways" in that it's within 6 hours drive of NYC, Philadelphia, the White Mountains, Montreal, Cape Cod, Coastal Maine, etc.

The weather is highly dependent on the individual. I prefer Boston's seasons as do many others. SF residents constantly awaken to a foggy mist. It doesn't matter what time of year it is, nights will always be in the 50s in SF. Sure it doesn't snow there, but there is no "summer." Good luck swimming at Bay Area beaches. Good luck even finding good beach weather.

Street vibrancy? Really? They're nearly identical. I'd even argue that streetscapes like Hanover, Salem, the Blackstone Block, Quincy Market, Newbury, etc. are impossible to find in San Francisco.

The density is negligible in the core of the urban area (SF's burbs are denser). No one in their right mind will tell you that walking around central SF feels "denser" than central Boston.

Food? Depends on what you want. SF is better as far as Asian and creative cuisine goes. Boston does better in the European department AND local seafood. Same for neighborhoods. SF has a better Chinatown. Boston's Little Italy blows SF's out of the water.

Diversity? They're both very diverse in different ways. SF has a large Asian and Mexican population. Boston has a bigger European and Caribbean population.

Union Square and nearby Westfield Centre are essentially the same as Newbury St. and Prudential/Copley Place. They even have most of the same chains. The difference between the two? Newbury St. isn't overrun with panhandlers.

Suburbs? I think Boston's are better. SF doesn't have much that competes with places like Rockport, Newburyport, Salem, Manchester-by-the-Sea, etc. Many of Boston's suburbs are incredibly historic.

SF has more raw natural beauty. Boston's beauty is in it's quaint, New England charm... a coastline dotted with quaint towns and villages. It's a matter of preference.

In addition, the Boston area has far better schools (both k-8 and higher ed.), lower unemployment, lower crime, and a transit system that's FAR better and farther reaching than San Francisco.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:00 PM

1,768 posts, read 3,240,337 times
Boston is expensive because of huge number of institutions of higher learning and economy that is fairly vibrant, on a very small "patch of land". We are overpriced for sure, in comparison to many cities, but we here sort of grin and bear with it. I love to hear different perspectives on Boston, people experiences with the area, and I am personally very curious about direction this area will take in the next decade. Will extreme COL deter and start hindering its attractiveness, and its economy, or huge COL will help this area stay where it is now?

Old 05-19-2013, 02:18 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,449,561 times
I don't know, when I first moved here, I would have agreed with you. Now I completely disagree though. I'd take Boston over those other cities. For me, it's worth it. Just a very pleasant place we've got here. Give it some time, if you're new here. It grows on you.

Old 05-19-2013, 03:49 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,475,582 times
IrFox pretty much handled the SF question - I'll emphasize the added bonus of a $1 bus ride to NYC any hour any day is a significant advantage to BOS - not to mention MTL, TOR, PHL, and DC all within reach. Even CHI is a short flight. Then if that's not enough London's only five hours away too.

Now regarding CHI, I love CHI, and yes it too has more in it's city. But is it nicer? I don't think so. BACK BAY is definitely sleeker than the Loop. I love the Lakeshore, but I love that Dirty Water too - and it's not even so dirty anymore. Castle Island's pretty damn sweet too.

And again, when you've seen all the sights in CHI, where do you go? Milwaukee? Detroit? Our short ride to NYC is a nice addition.

Also, Boston is just plain safer than Chicago, no doubt.

Finally, no place beats Boston's universities. Only London is competitive on this planet. And with those high brow schools comes a whole LOT of good looking students. Boston has better eye candy than any city I've every been with only London and Miami possibly better. And BOS might edge out MIA cuz though the MIA chicks are hot, they always have a bit of that dumb model look - while the Boston girls have a smart look about 'em.

Old 05-19-2013, 08:17 PM

4,627 posts, read 4,894,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oistrakh12 View Post
It's cost of living is almost as high as NYC or SF, yet doesn't offer nearly as many things to do. It's more expensive than Chicago, which has tons more offerings in every category (restaurants, music, museums, etc). It just seems way overpriced for what it offers... which is comparatively little compared to other similarly-priced US cities (like SF and NYC).
Oh, it's very, very simple.
12,752 people per square mile within the city limits. Even though they have before, they aren't adding to the 48 square miles of Boston any time soon.

SF: 17,000 people per square mile. 47 sq miles, and you can't add more land into the bay (but you could around SFO really - the land is really, really crappy)

Simply, there are more people who want to live here than can fit here.
SF is exactly the same. SF is hemmed in by South SF and Daly City, and water. Any place you'd want to live in in the bay are either hemmed in by water, mountains, or places you don't want to live. People will, and do, commute to SF from Elk Grove and Sacramento, 100 miles away - that's like living in Springfield and commuting to Boston...

Old 05-19-2013, 08:41 PM

2,947 posts, read 5,191,791 times
Good answers above...

This stupid system won't let me rep people on the thread. Not uncommon, and don't know why. I hadn't just repped them, I don't believe.

What about our three dental schools (Harvard, BU, Tufts) and NEU's Forsyth Dental School for hygienists?

Mass Eye and Ear, I'm certain, can't be beat in most cities. Children's Hospital always ranks #1 or #2.

Berkeley, New England Conservatory, Boston Conservatory, and Longy School of Music in Cambridge.

As said, much better employment than Chicago, SF and likely NYC.

Safe overall, but with some bad pockets, like anywhere.

I've been thinking of moving to Chicago the past 15 years, but frankly, am frightened by the shootings. And, yes, some of it does come close to the good neighborhoods. Oh, and we don't have the flash mobs Chicago has endured the last few years. Yikes.

I like Seattle. But they're not much cheaper than here, and arguably offers less.

We have a modern arena downtown for concerts, NBA and NHL. SF does not, though I hear one is soon on the horizon.

I do have my complaints about Boston, as I would anywhere, but I'm simply pointing out some of the obvious pros for now..

Even if the Cape and Islands didn't even exist, life here still would be fine for most.

Last edited by bostonguy1960; 05-19-2013 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Typo
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Massachusetts > Boston